Ciarraí v Tír Eoghain, D1R414, Killarney, Sunday 9th March @ 2pm.

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 03, 2014, 03:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

One to relish. Kerry sitting with zero points after 3 games, and the very last thing they'd want would be for Tyrone to put another nail in their Division 1 coffin! ;)

We'll need to have a greater presence in the middle of the park, for the whole 70 minutes, than we had in Newbridge yesterday.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sensethetone

dont think s cavanagh, c cavanagh, grugan, r mc kenna, p harte and mc ginley had enough influence around the middle againist kildare most of them will start againist kerry. would like to see mark donnelly in at number 10.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

From a selfish Mayo POV, a Tyrone victory would do our division 1 status no harm. Tyrone and Cork look safe, so it is Kerry, Westmeath, Derry and Dublin we would hope will stumble.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

EC Unique

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 03, 2014, 04:28:28 PM
From a selfish Mayo POV, a Tyrone victory would do our division 1 status no harm. Tyrone and Cork look safe, so it is Kerry, Westmeath, Derry and Dublin we would hope will stumble.

Derry have the same points as Tyrone and have already won in Kerry. I would imagine they are safe enough.

Redhand Santa

I'd mix it up a bit for this one and try a few new options in defence. Clarke does ok but always let's his man win the ball. There's a lot of running in him a I'd give him another go out the pitch,  think joe McMahon would be a better option at full back. I'm also not convinced we could end up needing mattie Donnelly at centre half back.

If we're going to go man for man we need to win a lot more ball around the middle and really get stuck in for the breaks and get bodies in there for kickouts. We always seem out numbered there for them which is crazy given we don't catch any.

As I say I'd experiment a bit and go with a line up like this
Morgan
Pj ( probably injured again)
Mcnamee
Tierney
Mcnabb
Mcbride
Harte
Clarke
Colm c
Grugan
Sean c
Mark d
R oneill
Mattie d
Mccurry

Redhand Santa

I see Steve oneill has had surgery on his ankle and is it for the rest of the league. If its an injury carrying over from last year it's strange they've waited so long to do this. It was shown yesterday that there'll be games when mattie Donnelly needs brought out the pitch and Steve would still be a decent option to replace him up there.

rrhf

I still think we may need Sean as he gits up to speed at midfield.  Mark donnelly s work rate will get him a half forward position. Last year he was pulled down more times than any other player. This year the black card will work in his favour.  The problem is at 6 and where to play petie.  Gormley is needed asap.

larryin89

Fancy Tyrone to win this handy enough , Kerry not good for 70mins of what Tyrone can offer.

Tyrone by half a dozen plus.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Redhand Santa

I think it's a straight choice between wing half back and wing half forward for Peter Harte. I don't think he's strong enough for a central position and would be better suited to the wing. I suppose it's easy to get carried away after a poor performance yesterday which can lead to being over negative.

I don't think a lot of the team were at the top of their game but still sneaked a very tricky away fixture. Sean cavanagh looks a we bit of the pace but the games will bring him on. I think we'll see an improved performance all round against Kerry this week.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Any chance of a few points headstart for this one lads? Its only fair considering we usually do f*ck all in the last quarter of games these days.  :-[

We could seriously do with Declan/Darran back or even Donaghy, but none of them will play next week. Backline will need to step it up big time and midfield has to be more consistent. Forwards are moving well enough, but being a bit impatient.

All in all, unless a massive improvement in defending and accuracy up front happen, we'll be in trouble again.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

nrico2006

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 03, 2014, 09:41:50 PM
I'd mix it up a bit for this one and try a few new options in defence. Clarke does ok but always let's his man win the ball. There's a lot of running in him a I'd give him another go out the pitch,  think joe McMahon would be a better option at full back. I'm also not convinced we could end up needing mattie Donnelly at centre half back.

If we're going to go man for man we need to win a lot more ball around the middle and really get stuck in for the breaks and get bodies in there for kickouts. We always seem out numbered there for them which is crazy given we don't catch any.

Morgan
Mcnamee
Tierney
Mcnabb
Mcbride
Harte
Clarke
Colm c
Grugan
Sean c
Mark d
R oneill
Mattie d
Mccurry

Mccrory is as bad as Clarke for letting the man win the ball.  Always like the look of McNamee and McBride has impressed in central defensive positions any time I have seen him too.  Has Shay McGuigan gone out of favour?  Big Sean is only back, the only thing that will bring him on is games.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omagh_gael

I'd say Shay will see little football for this rest of the year. Matty Donnelly, McAliskey, McCurry and Rony O'Neill have more or less nailed down starting spots and from now on you'll see the team lineups change very little. Mickey will pick two workhorses/scappers to fill the 10 & 11 jerseys.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 04, 2014, 08:13:18 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 03, 2014, 09:41:50 PM

Morgan
Mcnamee
Tierney
Mcnabb
Mcbride
Harte
Clarke
Colm c
Grugan
Sean c
Mark d
R oneill
Mattie d
Mccurry

Mccrory is as bad as Clarke for letting the man win the ball.  Always like the look of McNamee and McBride has impressed in central defensive positions any time I have seen him too.  Has Shay McGuigan gone out of favour?  Big Sean is only back, the only thing that will bring him on is games.

Would agree on McRrory. Potentially a good player but just too clean and nice at county level to be a top corner back. He'll shadow his man all day and won't be far away but just never gets enough pressure on them and a top forward will exploit this. As I said earlier I think Mattie D would help the defence at centre half but he's a great option in the forwards too.

Fuzzman

As I just posted on the Kildare thread.
I reckon Mickey is trying to re-engineer the defenders out of thinking about having the security of a sweeper to fall back on. I think he's letting players like McCrory, Clarke and a few others get a bit of a roasting so that they will learn how they are being exposed and that they need to do something about it themselves.

I will be surprised if PJ Quinn doesn't make one of the corner back places his own come the summer if he's fit. Big IF I know

I heard that about Stevie's operation just at the weekend but it sure was kept all hush hush. Maybe they were waiting to see was it gonna sort itself out and when it didn't then they operated.

Are many of ye going down?

sam03/05

I would start McNabb this weekend.
We are deffo gonna need Big Joe at some stage.

On the Stevie O'Neill thing - achillies injury is very hard to get over, id say we have seen the end of him.
to think it all came about by standing on a ball last year before the league final ...

I do think that Penrose is another good option from the bench and I would like to see him soon.