Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

gallsman

Quote from: Franko on May 23, 2018, 11:45:03 AM
Is there any need to be so perennially angry and foul-mouthed gallsman?

I'm easily exasperated by idiots and morons.

Cunny Funt

The sooner this referendum is over the better. Jesus it's bitter stuff!!

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2018, 12:16:11 PM
An alt-right (far right) flag hanging from the most prominent "No" campaign stand in the country yesterday.

The same flag was flown at the neo-Nazi demonstrations in Charlottesville last August.

Nobody has to try and "portray" "No" campaigners as extremists.

They reveal their true leanings all by themselves.

Does that flag represent the views of ALL no voters or just the fvcking idiots who happened to think it was a good idea to fly it?

Does EVERY Yes voter agree with Ruth Coppinger that it is the mothers decision to abort up to and including the date of birth?

Itchy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2018, 03:11:44 PM
The sooner this referendum is over the better. Jesus it's bitter stuff!!

Absolutely, both sides as bad as each other in my opinion. Its depressing.

Rudi

Quote from: whitey on May 23, 2018, 04:04:05 PM

[
Does EVERY Yes voter agree with Ruth Coppinger that it is the mothers decision to abort up to and including the date of birth?

Is this true about Ruth? Shocking yoke if true

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on May 23, 2018, 12:34:09 PM

That's what stew said too.

gallsman

Quote from: Franko on May 23, 2018, 04:36:41 PM

That's what stew said too.

I imagine he took quite a bit longer to get to the point.

Then probably forgot about the point and went on a rant about something that was actually against the point, originating from something he saw on the internet about an event ten years ago.

He is a sad loss to this thread.

Avondhu star

Stop looking at yourself in the mirror then
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Therealdonald

Astonished that men are still feeling the need to have an opinion on this topic. Youse are all a pile of Civil Service/office worker ginnies. 

sid waddell

An alt-right (far right) flag hanging from the most prominent "No" campaign stand in the country yesterday.

The same flag was flown at the neo-Nazi demonstrations in Charlottesville last August.

Does that flag represent the views of ALL no voters or just the fvcking idiots who happened to think it was a good idea to fly it?

You've been proven so wrong on this that I'm surprised you haven't rebranded out of embarrassment. Far right rhetoric and tactics are an integral, indivisible part of the No campaign. There is no equivalence whatsoever here between the campaigns. There is one side to blame for the toxicity of this debate and one side only, as is always the case in Irish referendums of this nature.

Like any dog whistling far right extremist does, you love to downplay anything that would embarrass you and any political campaign you support, so it's no surprise to see you downplay the flying of a flag modelled on the Nazi flag from the most prominent No campaign stand in the country.

Again, this is not some obscure corner of the internet we're talking about here - I repeat - it's the most prominent No campaign stand in the country - in front of the GPO, and the No campaign is proudly flying a flag that was flown by racist scum at Charlottesville.

Add to that yesterday's revelation that the No campaign are using an information network used by a network of far right extremist groups, including the NRA.

Add to that prominent No campaigner Niamh Nic Mathuna's links to the European far right - she has spoken alongside Italian fascists.

Add to that prominent No campaigner Justin Barrett's clear links to neo-Nazis in Germany.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/neo-nazis-affirm-links-with-youth-defence-1.1098966
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/barrett-admits-attending-far-right-party-meetings-in-italy-germany-1.1098920
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Barrett#German_Neo-nazi_link

Add to that the dog whistling, bullying, misogynist, at times racist dog whistling from the hordes of flat earther No supporters on Twitter.

The No campaign have, by definition, an absolutist, extremist position.

Therefore it's not surprising that their campaign is full of the influence of the far right - in their rhetoric, in their tactics, and in their beliefs.

I guess you could call them a "basket of deplorables".

To get respect, you have to earn respect. During this campaign, the No side has done precisely nothing to earn respect and everything to prove they are unworthy of it.

There is no way around the fact that the No campaign is extremist.

Wanting to force a 12 year old rape victim to carry a pregnancy to term against her will is an extremist position by any stretch of the imagination.

Wanting to force a victim of incest to carry a pregnancy to term against her will is an extremist position by any stretch of the imagination.

Wanting to deny cancer treatment to pregnant women is an extremist position.

Wanting the state to abandon Irish women is an extremist position.

Voting for all of the above is an extremist position.

The Yes campaign on the other hand couldn't be more mainstream. It's advocating for something every other European country bar Malta has.

It has run a fair and respectful campaign - the polar opposite of its opponents, who have disgraced themselves time and time and time again. It has laid out the facts, put forwards people's personal stories, and shown empathy and compassion.

Ruth Coppinger's personal views on what sort of abortion laws we should have are are irrelevant - but even then I note you refused to provide a link to back up your claim. Coppinger has done a damn sight more for Irish women on her own than the whole of the No campaign put together, by the way.

What have any of the No campaign ever done for Irish women except to try and control them? That's ultimately what it's all about for the No campaign - control.

No more, and long after time.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2018, 05:17:32 PM
The 8th Amendment came from catholic Taliban

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2018/may/23/my-budget-flight-to-get-an-abortion-the-story-no-one-in-ireland-wants-to-tell-video
The Taliban is a very apt comparison.

The vast majority of prominent No campaigners long for a return to the sort of Ireland where if a woman didn't want to have sex because she feared she might get pregnant, the husband could complain to the parish priest, who would promptly knock on the door and firmly remind the woman of her "duties as a wife".

They are still in deep mourning that stuff like this is no longer acceptable.

longballin

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2018, 05:46:50 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2018/may/23/my-budget-flight-to-get-an-abortion-the-story-no-one-in-ireland-wants-to-tell-video

The vast majority of prominent No campaigners long for a return to the sort of Ireland where if a woman didn't want to have sex because she feared she might get pregnant, the husband could complain to the parish priest, who would promptly knock on the door and firmly remind the woman of her "duties as a wife".

and when the children of women born out of wedlock sell them off to Americans or molest them

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on May 23, 2018, 06:01:03 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2018, 05:46:50 PM

and when the children of women born out of wedlock sell them off to Americans or molest them
"God's Law" permits baby trafficking by nuns and child sexual abuse by priests, or something.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2018, 05:38:47 PM

You've been proven so wrong on this that I'm surprised you haven't rebranded out of embarrassment. Far right rhetoric and tactics are an integral, indivisible part of the No campaign. There is no equivalence whatsoever here between the campaigns. There is one side to blame for the toxicity of this debate and one side only, as is always the case in Irish referendums of this nature.

Like any dog whistling far right extremist does, you love to downplay anything that would embarrass you and any political campaign you support, so it's no surprise to see you downplay the flying of a flag modelled on the Nazi flag from the most prominent No campaign stand in the country.

Again, this is not some obscure corner of the internet we're talking about here - I repeat - it's the most prominent No campaign stand in the country - in front of the GPO, and the No campaign is proudly flying a flag that was flown by racist scum at Charlottesville.

Add to that yesterday's revelation that the No campaign are using an information network used by a network of far right extremist groups, including the NRA.

Add to that prominent No campaigner Niamh Nic Mathuna's links to the European far right - she has spoken alongside Italian fascists.

Add to that prominent No campaigner Justin Barrett's clear links to neo-Nazis in Germany.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/neo-nazis-affirm-links-with-youth-defence-1.1098966
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/barrett-admits-attending-far-right-party-meetings-in-italy-germany-1.1098920
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Barrett#German_Neo-nazi_link

Add to that the dog whistling, bullying, misogynist, at times racist dog whistling from the hordes of flat earther No supporters on Twitter.

The No campaign have, by definition, an absolutist, extremist position.

Therefore it's not surprising that their campaign is full of the influence of the far right - in their rhetoric, in their tactics, and in their beliefs.

I guess you could call them a "basket of deplorables".

To get respect, you have to earn respect. During this campaign, the No side has done precisely nothing to earn respect and everything to prove they are unworthy of it.

There is no way around the fact that the No campaign is extremist.

Wanting to force a 12 year old rape victim to carry a pregnancy to term against her will is an extremist position by any stretch of the imagination.

Wanting to force a victim of incest to carry a pregnancy to term against her will is an extremist position by any stretch of the imagination.

Wanting to deny cancer treatment to pregnant women is an extremist position.

Wanting the state to abandon Irish women is an extremist position.

Voting for all of the above is an extremist position.

The Yes campaign on the other hand couldn't be more mainstream. It's advocating for something every other European country bar Malta has.

It has run a fair and respectful campaign - the polar opposite of its opponents, who have disgraced themselves time and time and time again. It has laid out the facts, put forwards people's personal stories, and shown empathy and compassion.

Ruth Coppinger's personal views on what sort of abortion laws we should have are are irrelevant - but even then I note you refused to provide a link to back up your claim. Coppinger has done a damn sight more for Irish women on her own than the whole of the No campaign put together, by the way.

What have any of the No campaign ever done for Irish women except to try and control them? That's ultimately what it's all about for the No campaign - control.

No more, and long after time.

Lol-proven wrong by who?     You-?????

I think it will pass and I will be happy if it does, but the only person your kidding is yourself if you think some on the Yes side don't hold extreme views on when and why an abortion can happen