Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

trailer

Quote from: weareros on May 17, 2022, 01:37:21 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2022, 09:36:11 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 16, 2022, 05:18:24 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on May 16, 2022, 05:08:57 PM
My initial thoughts are to pull the whole thing down to feck.  Sicken your hole.  Get the border poll tonight and there'd be a united ireland in the morning.   Aaaaargh

Yes and No.
The Nationalist parties should put an ultimatum to the DUP and the British government. Either work Stormont and provide good stable government or it is gone forever and they will both come together to help form a citizens assembly with a view to a Unity referendum and reunification by 2030.

Who will both come together to form a citizens assembly??

I dunno where this optimism for a United Ireland is coming from there is no evidence that it would be even be close to 50% for reunification!

I do wonder if too much credence is being given to that last poll by Liverpool University. I even saw Fintan O'Toole quoting the lowly 30% number at the weekend. But LucidTalk polls have both sides in 40s and Lord Ashcroft who is Tory pollster has had UI in high 40s. This is all without anyone seeing a plan. The other interesting stat is the Alliance transferring higher to Nationalist than Unionist. And the final interesting stat is when you look at the demographics the Pro-UK vote is heavy 60+. Ten years will make a big difference to those numbers.

There was little enough support for Brexit but if you can set out what a UI might look like and talk about it as an actual reality it could bring people on board. At this stage for most people a UI is pie in the sky. If the conversation starts to get real then that will start to focus minds, on both sides and none.

marty34

Conversation has started - slowly but surely.

Needs more planning and that obviously means white papers from the government in the 26 counties. They're clearly not interested as they don't want to be pusging anything that'll help SF.

When SF get into government in the south, there might be more planning for it in a proper manner.  Until then, then it'll just be driven ad-hoc by various organisations etc.

As I say, it's a start and a lot more discussion around it in 2022 than, say 2017, but a lot more to do to give us a roadmap for the future.

balladmaker

Quote from: marty34 on May 17, 2022, 04:41:51 PM
Conversation has started - slowly but surely.

Needs more planning and that obviously means white papers from the government in the 26 counties. They're clearly not interested as they don't want to be pusging anything that'll help SF.

When SF get into government in the south, there might be more planning for it in a proper manner.  Until then, then it'll just be driven ad-hoc by various organisations etc.

As I say, it's a start and a lot more discussion around it in 2022 than, say 2017, but a lot more to do to give us a roadmap for the future.

Unionism's problem with partaking in the conversation is once they have, there is only one direction of travel associated with it and one final destination.  To partake in the conversation is to acknowledge the planning for unification has commenced.  Unionism either decides to carve out their piece in a new Ireland e.g. continued political links with Westminster via some northern body ... or stay on the outside which unfortunately is where the DUP will choose to stay.

mouview

Just when BJ thought he was home-free these photos emerge; think he could be really on a sticky wicket now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2022/0523/1300709-boris-johnson-party/

RedHand88

Quote from: mouview on May 23, 2022, 08:55:58 PM
Just when BJ thought he was home-free these photos emerge; think he could be really on a sticky wicket now.

I got married that week and couldn't have a reception. I was only allowed immediate family in the chapel.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: mouview on May 23, 2022, 08:55:58 PM

This will finish Johnson. Like all the other times he was finished.

imtommygunn

At this point it does look like only something like actual dead bodies would finish him!!

This doesn't reflect well on the met. They are a shitty shitty organisation.

mouview

Doesn't reflect well on the Tory party who continue to support a lying, lawbreaking leader. They're worse than the Met.

johnnycool

Quote from: mouview on May 24, 2022, 08:53:09 AM
Doesn't reflect well on the Tory party who continue to support a lying, lawbreaking leader. They're worse than the Met.

I think Johnson will ride this one out along with the Gray report.

The client media are already spinning that's shes going to do a political hatchet job on him and even the wiping they got in the council elections wasn't as bad as anticipated as Labour failed to get the vote out in the North of England.

The Torys don't give a fúck for the cost of living or anything like that, yet play the immigrant card every once in a while and that'll suffice to keep the base happy.

If we weren't tied to these charlatans I wouldn't give a shiny shíte for them, but sadly we are.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

I'm no economist but if the Govt are pumping £30bn into the economy how exactly does that stave off inflation will that not make it worse?

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2022, 11:50:55 AM
I'm no economist but if the Govt are pumping £30bn into the economy how exactly does that stave off inflation will that not make it worse?

Of course it makes it worse. But people need to be able to pay their bills and if they do not get some loot off the government then they will be looking for pay increases.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2022, 12:48:53 PM

Of course it makes it worse. But people need to be able to pay their bills and if they do not get some loot off the government then they will be looking for pay increases.

Are they not making that money back from a winfall tax from these companies that are making billions off the back of people using their energy?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2022, 02:39:50 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2022, 12:48:53 PM

Are they not making that money back from a winfall tax from these companies that are making billions off the back of people using their energy?
Who are the "they",  which government is being referred to here?
Surely when somebody on this forum writes "the Government are pumping"  it's referring to the Irish gov, even if the sum of money involved would only be used in the context of Government using state resources in order to bail out failed corrupt banks.