Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 23, 2022, 10:03:28 PM
Never got out of 2nd gear. Totally untested and won at a canter. Doesn't really tell you anything about this group until they have serious questions asked of them. They'd harder league games I'd suspect. Let's be honest, granemore had a handy draw and found themselves in a final where they never really had a chance. To try and convince anyone otherwise Is tripe.

Agreed that they were not really tested. The pressure was internal more than external. We were in a no win situation. Maybe not the best preparation for Ballybay but it's all there is

Brick Tamlin

Probably says more about the teams in Armagh over the years than a reflection of Crossmaglen. Suppose they can only beat whats in front of them. Were they even tested this year?
Clann Eireann gave up the crown easily, Maghery seem to be a beaten docket and on the way down and that Ballymacnab team isnt getting any younger.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 24, 2022, 10:19:35 AM
Probably says more about the teams in Armagh over the years than a reflection of Crossmaglen. Suppose they can only beat whats in front of them. Were they even tested this year?
Clann Eireann gave up the crown easily, Maghery seem to be a beaten docket and on the way down and that Ballymacnab team isnt getting any younger.

Hard to tell really. Silverbridge gave it a fair rattle but didn't have the finish in them. Clann Eireann have fallen off the face of the plant and may drift down to Intermediate unless they get things going again. Killeavey have talent but are notorious when it comes to championship for leaving all behind them. Maghery and Ballymacnab have a lot on their legs. Clans are a doing team and could be a challenger over the next few years. Hard to tell really. Like everything else the reality is we are the best in the county and have improved every game this year. I suspect that we have the players there already and players coming through to be dominant over the next 4/5 years within the county. I think we will hit the half ton of titles sooner rather than later

general_lee

Clann Éireann won't be in intermediate anytime soon, give your head a wobble! Agree on Killeavy, a bit like the Harps - two league teams, although at least Harps crop have a championship medal to show. I think Ballymacnab have maybe one more assault left in them, Maghery are as good as gone after that emphatic semi final exit to Cross. I think Mullaghbawn will be another Silverbridge, good but not good enough, Clans have a good team in the making but probably a year or two away to be considered proper contenders. Cross are the standard bearers and even in "famine" were regularly challenging, I think they've a fairly good chance of over-coming Ballybay, arguably the best forward line in Ulster club football at the minute.

brokencrossbar1

Maybe your right about CE, it's a bit mad how far they have dropped so quickly. I think in terms of Ulster this year it will be tough as if we get over Ballybay we're are into Kilcoo waiting in the long grass. They have a few weeks to prep themselves and will not want to give up their title easily. Momentum is good though so if we get a decent performance and win against Ballybay we should have nothing to fear

general_lee

Cross are putting up big scores, I expect them to carry that threat into Ulster. Aside from the Silverbridge game they haven't conceded much. Like you say momentum is good, especially when you're scoring heavily and conceding very little. Cross looked fit yesterday and even when the game was in the final minutes they still wanted to turn the screw. There's a hunger and energy there that wasn't there last year.

Rufus T Firefly

I got a sense there was a certain fragility with Rangers at the start of the Championship, which was maybe a hangover from the defeats of the last two years, and that was evidenced in the first match against Silverbridge, when I felt there were a few things went for Cross in the last quarter which swung a very tight game in their favour. They then made very hard work of overcoming Dromintee - albeit with a man down - but thereafter though, they seemed to grow in belief and swept Maghery aside in the semi-final which I had felt was going to be their biggest hurdle. The final was then a formality.

Rangers undoubtedly have the best team and squad in the County and the victory yesterday will add to the confidence and self belief. I'll be very interested to see how they go in Ulster, although I feel that a provincial title might be beyond them.   

Truth hurts

apart from Crossmaglen I would safely say they are 5 to 6 better clubs teams in Down than in Armagh, hopefully, we can start getting the buy in like Armagh county get to make us compete again.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 24, 2022, 02:10:09 PM
apart from Crossmaglen I would safely say they are 5 to 6 better clubs teams in Down than in Armagh, hopefully, we can start getting the buy in like Armagh county get to make us compete again.

It's entirely possible. I honestly feel the standard of club football in our County is terrible.

It actually contrasts with the 1996 - 2006 period, when the Senior Championship in Armagh was actually very strong - Mullaghbawn, Clan na Gael, Pearse Og and Dromintee in particular, all had sides capable of winning Ulster Clubs, but couldn't get out of Armagh due to the exceptional nature and dominance of that great Rangers team.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 24, 2022, 02:37:42 PM

It's entirely possible. I honestly feel the standard of club football in our County is terrible.

It actually contrasts with the 1996 - 2006 period, when the Senior Championship in Armagh was actually very strong - Mullaghbawn, Clan na Gael, Pearse Og and Dromintee in particular, all had sides capable of winning Ulster Clubs, but couldn't get out of Armagh due to the exceptional nature and dominance of that great Rangers team.

Apart from Cross and Maghery I would say a lot of teams would struggle to stay in Division 1 in Down. This year Ballyholland and Downpatrick were relegated and I would put them ahead of the likes of Granemore, the Nab and Clann Eireann , Killeavy etc

armaghniac

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 24, 2022, 11:55:32 AM
I got a sense there was a certain fragility with Rangers at the start of the Championship, which was maybe a hangover from the defeats of the last two years, and that was evidenced in the first match against Silverbridge, when I felt there were a few things went for Cross in the last quarter which swung a very tight game in their favour. They then made very hard work of overcoming Dromintee - albeit with a man down - but thereafter though, they seemed to grow in belief and swept Maghery aside in the semi-final which I had felt was going to be their biggest hurdle. The final was then a formality.

Rangers undoubtedly have the best team and squad in the County and the victory yesterday will add to the confidence and self belief. I'll be very interested to see how they go in Ulster, although I feel that a provincial title might be beyond them.   

In the first two games Cross' only played in fits and starts and did not engender confidence even among Cross' football people or me. But from the ball was thrown in against Maghery they played with much more enthusiasm and confidence and having disposed of Maghery then the final was a foregone conclusion, as you say. While having a hard working defence these teams did not have a great attack and so there remains a big question mark if Cross' come up against a time that can score like themselves.

The likes of Dromintee give Cross' a harder game than most of other ones they had. But in the 2010-2012 period Cross' had less opposition in Armagh, like the final against Ballymacnab.
There was a good crowd at the double bill yesterday, there is good interest in Armagh if the football was better.

let's hope the younger crowd in Rangers want an Ulster medal like their Da or Uncle and perhaps Jamie and Aaron want one last one. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 24, 2022, 02:49:31 PM

Apart from Cross and Maghery I would say a lot of teams would struggle to stay in Division 1 in Down. This year Ballyholland and Downpatrick were relegated and I would put them ahead of the likes of Granemore, the Nab and Clann Eireann , Killeavy etc
In the last ten years both Armagh and Down have had 7 different clubs reach a county final. Armagh have had 4 different winners, Down have had 2. I think clubs in Down now have the same mental block playing Kilcoo that clubs in Armagh had in the late 90s/00s when it came to playing Cross. I'd say there's a fairly similar standard outside of Cross, Kilcoo and Burren.

Have played against and watched plenty of Down Division 1 teams over recent years. You are way off the mark if you think Downpatrick or Ballyholland are better than Clann Éireann, Killeavy or Ballymacnab. FYI Maghery got relegated from 1A, Killeavy were a kick of a ball away from winning it and Clann Éireann won last years championship!

tonto1888

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 24, 2022, 11:16:52 AM
Maybe your right about CE, it's a bit mad how far they have dropped so quickly. I think in terms of Ulster this year it will be tough as if we get over Ballybay we're are into Kilcoo waiting in the long grass. They have a few weeks to prep themselves and will not want to give up their title easily. Momentum is good though so if we get a decent performance and win against Ballybay we should have nothing to fear

new manager and missing TK. Also were missing Sean McCarthy for Mullaghbawn game. Thats 2 big losses. Turbo and McCambridge didn't play much football with them this summer either due to being in the States. CE will be grand

general_lee

Championship draw last night; after straight knockout for a few years we are back to the group stages.
Hard to get excited about with three teams from each group progressing. Main talking point is Group A aka the group of death, 2020 winners Maghery as the bottom seeded team. Groups B & C should be fairly easy to call. Group D there could be a few upsets.

Group A
Killeavy
Ballymacnab
Dromintee
Maghery

Group B
Clann Éireann
Granemore
St Peter's
Grange

Group C
Madden
Armagh Harps
Silverbridge
Shane O'Neill's

Group D
Crossmaglen
Mullaghbawn
Clan na Gael
Sarsfield's

statto

Quote from: general_lee on August 03, 2023, 09:56:17 AM
Championship draw last night; after straight knockout for a few years we are back to the group stages.
Hard to get excited about with three teams from each group progressing. Main talking point is Group A aka the group of death, 2020 winners Maghery as the bottom seeded team. Groups B & C should be fairly easy to call. Group D there could be a few upsets.

Group A
Killeavy
Ballymacnab
Dromintee
Maghery

Group B
Clann Éireann
Granemore
St Peter's
Grange

Group C
Madden
Armagh Harps
Silverbridge
Shane O'Neill's

Group D
Crossmaglen
Mullaghbawn
Clan na Gael
Sarsfield's
Group C Harps, Madden and Silverbridge will all fancy their chances.  The Bridge won 1b and gave Cross a right rattle in last years championship.