Laois Senior Football Championship 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 25, 2022, 03:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois Rising

Portlaoise look to be on an upward trajectory again. Lot of players in their starting fifteen who have plenty room for improvement over the next twelve months. Lillis and Callinane still in good nick and should be there again next year providing the necessary experience and leadership. While its a very disappointing lose on Sunday the future looks bright again. Portarlington really missing the eldest of the Murphy's- he was a great focal point to their forward line and a real leader to the team. O'Dempsey's have serious momentum and hunger to them. Their style of football is very much suited to good weather and a firm pitch. Hopefully we get good weather and a good spectacle come the final. If we get good footballing conditions I think O'Dempsey's will win. Barry might be the difference between the two sides. Has really stepped up as probably the top forward in Laois in the last few games. Everyone expecting Port to find another gear. They couldn't find it for Portlaoise game last weekend and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find it in a couple of weeks time either. 

Laois man

Jd

A huge amount depends on the who refs it I feel. If its someone like Mulhare who blows for every little thing then   O Ds have a huge chance. The second match last Sunday was reffed completely differently with killings almost let go and if that level of physicality is allowed then I think Port will win comfortably

Laoiseabu

Apparently Adam Ryan had a bad fall off a stairs / scaffolding and is badly injured . Can anyone confirm this ? Diarmuid Bennett went off injured against Portlaoise with an injury too

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 25, 2022, 08:19:27 PM
I'm convinced that The Heath would beat that Courtwood team there today . It dosent bode well for the standard of football in the county when you have a team that poor getting to a senior semi final . In no other county in Ireland would that Courtwood team of got to a senior semi final bar maybe in some of the poorer division 4 counties .
Look, you're probably not a million miles out. If we draw The Heath next year, we'll have it all to do to beat them. I'm still convinced there's not that much between 13 or 14 of the senior teams.
The Heath went down last year after losing to Emo by a last minute goal and Emo went to the semi-final. Teams sometimes get a bit of impetus like that.
I'm also convinced that we're a good bit better than how we played on Sunday but maybe some of that is down to how well O'D's played. All I know is we were desperately disappointed afterwards and even though another poster said we'd be happy with our year on reflection, it still feels like a chance missed and to partly agree with your original point, we might get it damn hard to get back to another semi-final.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Laoiseabu

Apparently Portarlington were absolutely demolished by Naas in a challenge game tonight . Port failed to score in the 2nd half .  I don't know what the sense is in that 48 hours after a titanic tussle with Portlaoise. Surely the Port lads would have been shattered after Sundays efforts .

Toomanygaels

Surely it was only giving a run out for the reserves and none of the first team played?

Laois fan

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 27, 2022, 11:16:02 PM
Apparently Portarlington were absolutely demolished by Naas in a challenge game tonight . Port failed to score in the 2nd half .  I don't know what the sense is in that 48 hours after a titanic tussle with Portlaoise. Surely the Port lads would have been shattered after Sundays efforts .
You appear to be getting alot of rumours from the Port camp without knowing the full story,think it was just a run out for the subs so I wouldn't read anything into it

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Laois fan on September 28, 2022, 12:37:57 AM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 27, 2022, 11:16:02 PM
You appear to be getting alot of rumours from the Port camp without knowing the full story,think it was just a run out for the subs so I wouldn't read anything into it

Maybe so, I still think ODs have a serious chance in the final . Port look to be very laboured compared to last year . Unless Port find another gear in the final I think it will be a close encounter. If Port get anything close to last years form they will win comfortably but I can't see them finding last years form though . Adam Ryan is a HUGE loss if he's not playing . D Bennett less so but still a loss . Whoever comes out of Laois I can't see them doing much in Leinster unless Port manage to find last years form

portlaoisekid

Portlaoise are kicking themselves for losing that match on Sunday, Port weren't great but credit to Portlaoise for aiding Ports poor play. Some green shoots for Portlaoise as the young lads drove the best play on Sunday, Portlaoises lack of a quality free taker was most likely the difference and of course the black card changed momentum in the game.

Port are still the best team in the championship, won the hard way and fair play to them for that. I fully expect them to beat Dempseys in the final, Port haven't survived this many battles to blow this opportunity in the final. Port by 5 + points.

Spiritof86

Intriguing final ahead . It was there for the taking Sunday for the Town . All that's been said has been said . Gruelling, tactical battle and Port come out on top again . There has to be another kick in Port and if not they'll be caught in the final . Saying that O'Dempseys have been the perennial bottlers but a change could be on the cards .
Seemingly Martin Murphy is part of Liam Kearns backroom team with Offaly so perhaps his decision to leave may have effected things  in Port .

Robbo

Low-key build up to a big final. Same with the hurling last week I think. Leinster and nationalist should really look at putting on specials on county final weeks, even online. Laoistoday do their usual few bits but a proper preview with some ex players would be great.

Port faves with the bookies buy I'm really torn on this one. O dempsys players seem really focused and full of praise and credit for kearns. I think theyll turn up in a big way. They won't be as battle-hardebed as Port but they will run very hard and Nerney will be a massive physical presence I think. Port might try make it slow and physical but you'd feel O'Ds will get a run on them at some stage or the other and they can put a score up quickly.

Kickouts could be important and both teams have weaknesses in this area. Interesting to see if Conor meridith could play some part and if they'd plant him at the edge of the square or out field.

I said before the semi that Port or portlaoise would win but I'm edging against them. Maybe there timing a run to peak for a final and leinster but I think they might be vulnerable to a team who can match them for legs and have forwards to hit big scores.

If its low scoring and cagey then I think Port will win. Actually they can probably win in more ways but I just have a feeling for the killenard men.

Mark Barry motm and ODs by 3.

Jd

Can only see one winner here after seeing the two semifinals. Port survived a massive Portlaoise test both physical and mental and O Ds had an easier semi v Courtwood who to be fair performed well below their standards. However for a while after halftime they looked vulnerable when courtwood went at them. Dessie Cooney did the Port semi and if he refs the final the same them I see Port physically overwhelming  O Ds. It wouldnt surprise me to see Port win by 8-10 points but i really hope I'm wrong

Heshs Umpire

I just think Port are a bit ahead of O'Dempseys as a team. Wouldn't rule out O'Dempseys winning it but think it might take them another year or two.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore