Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: redandblackareback on November 26, 2022, 10:06:38 PM
Kilcoo look like All Ireland champions and I think they will do back to back - who will actually stop them?

On the school debate, rather than talk about St Marks or St Malachy's let's look at a town close to my heart, Downpatrick, one of the largest towns in our county and yet we have two all boys schools who are certainly underachievers. Red High have been a disgrace of a school in recent years, and since Brady and Adams have left De La Salle they are another school who should be ashamed of their efforts in GAA. It's very concerning the downward spiral of our schools in general. Hopefully the addition of new staff in the Red High can give them the kick start needed
Kilmacud will give them a real test if kilcoo get out of Ulster. Nevermind glen/cargin and the connacht champions for one. Shane walsh a massive addition for crokes in their quest for an all Ireland.

Cuan12

Reading some interesting comments regarding our schools , personal opinion is until we have a system which clubs , schools and the county executive buys into we will never reach the days when St Colmans , Abbey and Red High dominated the college scene, it was no fluke we were AI champions in the nineties, teachers like Ray Morgan and Pat o Hare were passionate about down football and many ex pupils represented Down at all levels including senior level. To get to that level again we need accountability from county coaches, we need clubs to be involved in local schools and we need the right men driving this forward, we need suitably qualified men and women to be given the county coach positions and someone to co ordinate it all, I know there was a recent survey conducted and I hope the powers that be don't do t just pay it lip service. Get this right and we will get back to the top table.
Congrats to Kilcoo - utmost respect to this club and what they have achieved , good luck going forward.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Cuan12 on November 27, 2022, 10:41:12 AM
Reading some interesting comments regarding our schools , personal opinion is until we have a system which clubs , schools and the county executive buys into we will never reach the days when St Colmans , Abbey and Red High dominated the college scene, it was no fluke we were AI champions in the nineties, teachers like Ray Morgan and Pat o Hare were passionate about down football and many ex pupils represented Down at all levels including senior level. To get to that level again we need accountability from county coaches, we need clubs to be involved in local schools and we need the right men driving this forward, we need suitably qualified men and women to be given the county coach positions and someone to co ordinate it all, I know there was a recent survey conducted and I hope the powers that be don't do t just pay it lip service. Get this right and we will get back to the top table.
Congrats to Kilcoo - utmost respect to this club and what they have achieved , good luck going forward.

What is their remit?? Some turn up to primary schools - some don't bother, a previous poster stated they are not allowed into secondary schools - why is this?? Surely they should be availing of this service if it's provided to them.
Are these coaches not given a certain area to focus on and they take care of GAA development in that area? Should the coach/coaches for Downpatrick/NewryMourne areas not have serious questions to answer?
Bosco/Shamrocks/Mitchell's not going very well
Downpatrick a yo yo team, Saul cant make the leap required to get promoted, Bright, Darragh Cross all underperforming
3 teams from Mourne in division 3, 1 in division 4 and 1 going to get a few trimmings next season in top flight.

Lotto

It seems to me like they just clock in and clock out. Our kids had one of these boyos come to their school a few years back, Mondays were never great especially after an NFL game on the Sunday and invariably he would not turn up.
These individuals have had zero impact on the development of football in Down in the 15+ years they have been in place. Many of them are now more concerned with their own club commitments rather than their day time job, I didn't think they were able to do this? I have rarely heard any positive comments about what they are doing in primary schools. Why are they not in the secondary schools, Sean Og had this in his report last year? Some of these schools really need supprot and surely these men would be better deployed here. Is it not the case that many other counties put their county coaches in secondary schools to support them, why can't we? It makes sense when the county Minor manager can work with them on a more regular basis. We have alot of catching up to do on the rest of Ulster because what we are doing just isn't working.

Cuan12

The core problem is accountability, these county coaches need to be aware of what is required of them and who they are accountable to.Coaches who fail to turn up to work or don't meet the required standard need replacing with people who will meet the required standards but the coaches need support also from the clubs, the schools and the county executive.
Time will tell if the posts on this forum have any effect or the survey recently undertaken prompts the county executive taking the necessary action.

Johnnysboys

Accountability is right. But how can they be held accountable? Every time our primary school phones the county offices to complain of another no show - no one picks up nor responds. It's a real jobs for the boys this role. Organising a wee blitz here n there doesn't cut it any longer. Lads going to Canal Court to the pool and sauna while they are supposed to be in a primary school stinks. And I agree - they get paid by the GAA to do this job and are then running around in the evenings with clubs getting paid as well - it's an absolute disgrace. More energy put into their evening roles than their daily roles.

Hard2Listen2

I have to be honest lads. That's not my experience of the schools coaches.
When they've coached my kids they have come home buzzing. The get a lot from the county board & Ulster GAA coaches.
The get outdoor exercise, basic skills, & have fun with their friends.
I don't see a downside to it.

As far as I know the county contact every primary school & offer the coaches services. It's up to the school whether or not they accept this.

A lot of the funding (definitely for the Ulster coaches) comes from government in a scheme with IFA so they have to be in primary schools. The county can't just decide where to send them.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on November 27, 2022, 09:50:29 PM
Accountability is right. But how can they be held accountable? Every time our primary school phones the county offices to complain of another no show - no one picks up nor responds. It's a real jobs for the boys this role. Organising a wee blitz here n there doesn't cut it any longer. Lads going to Canal Court to the pool and sauna while they are supposed to be in a primary school stinks. And I agree - they get paid by the GAA to do this job and are then running around in the evenings with clubs getting paid as well - it's an absolute disgrace. More energy put into their evening roles than their daily roles.

That is a serious accusation Johnnysboys. What primary school are you talking about as I am sure the county office could verify that if you rang. Are you saying boys do not turn for coaching in your school as I have only have heard positive news about school coaches. Sean og wants the coaches into secondary schools but schools do not want help yet they have so called coaches who fail to coach the kids yet are willing to coach in evening roles at clubs.  These people probably promise the world at interviews saying they will coach the kids but do nothing.

Brick Tamlin

Bit of a nonsense witch hunt going on here with a few fellas with personal axes to grind.

delgany

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 28, 2022, 08:39:25 AM
When they've coached my kids they have come home buzzing. The get a lot from the county board & Ulster GAA coaches.

As far as I know the county contact every primary school & offer the coaches services. It's up to the school whether or not they accept this.

A lot of the funding (definitely for the Ulster coaches) comes from government in a scheme with IFA so they have to be in primary schools. The county can't just decide where to send them.

Im not sure that the coaches are fairly distributed and some parts get more coaching than others. I personally contacted the Co.Office in March about the coaching progamme and am still waiting a reply. The Co. Sec visited  before Covid , to ask how Co. could support schools, nothing  came off it, no feedback..consultation -  tickbox job....have had +ve experiences of coaches but need fair and equitable access , many use it as a platform to  get into teacher training ( which is great ) but Down GAA need to wake up !

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: delgany on November 28, 2022, 06:56:45 PM

Im not sure that the coaches are fairly distributed and some parts get more coaching than others. I personally contacted the Co.Office in February about the coaching progamme and am still waiting a reply. The Co. Sec visited  before Covid , to ask how Co. could support schools, nothing  came off it, no feedback..consultation -  tickbox job....have had +ve experiences of coaches but need fair and equitable access , many use it as a platform to  get into teacher training ( which is great ) but Down GAA need to wake up !

Your profile says you're from Antrim?
Down GAA don't coach in Antrim schools or have you moved away from the dark side?

supersub

Quote from: Johnnysboys on November 27, 2022, 09:50:29 PM

Disgusting post. Absolutely rotten. Disgraceful and unfounded, no need for it at all.

delgany

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 28, 2022, 07:26:15 PM
Quote from: delgany on November 28, 2022, 06:56:45 PM

Im not sure that the coaches are fairly distributed and some parts get more coaching than others. I personally contacted the Co.Office in February about the coaching progamme and am still waiting a reply. The Co. Sec visited  before Covid , to ask how Co. could support schools, nothing  came off it, no feedback..consultation -  tickbox job....have had +ve experiences of coaches but need fair and equitable access , many use it as a platform to  get into teacher training ( which is great ) but Down GAA need to wake up !

Your profile says you're from Antrim?
Down GAA don't coach in Antrim schools or have you moved away from the dark side?
I work in Down !

Truth hurts

The Abbey in Newry were knocked out at the Quarters in the Rannafast. I think their teachers need to discuss whether a stint in  football would help them. A McLarnon win for the Abbey would be massive.

Johnnysboys

Disgusting post. Absolutely rotten. Disgraceful and unfounded, no need for it at all.
[/quote]

Disgusting
Rotten
Disgraceful
Unfounded

But yet totally true. If you're trying to tell me that these coaches turn up to every single session in the school/area they are assigned to - you are deluded. And there is absolutely no accountability for missing days here and there. If other people were so weak at their jobs they wouldn't last long that's for sure.