Previous topic - Next topic

Kong King

Quote from: Mourne Red on October 03, 2022, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 03, 2022, 01:42:39 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on October 03, 2022, 12:41:18 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 03, 2022, 11:58:25 AM
Quote from: 5times5times on October 03, 2022, 10:53:34 AM
Serious question...

If your club had an open management position, would you touch Poacher with a barge pole?

Football is horrendous to watch, and his side-line antics aren't much better.

Every coach in Down and Ulster are playing this way, name a club in Down that plays attractive football because I can't.

Its not just Steven Paochers fault, the GAA need to change the rules.

Out of curiosity, what teams in senior football would you support or watch most often?
I'm assuming Downpatrick & / or Loughinisland as they are nearest to you if you are in Ballykinlar?

Do they not both play traditional football with no sweeper or mass defence?

Did you watch Loughinisland v Warrenpoint yesterday, 15 men behind the ball for both teams and keep ball, RGU played this way all year as well. McCorry, Gilligan, Mulholland, McBride, its all over Down and throughout Ireland, we were lucky with the penalties in the championship but the spectacles have been poor overall. Mayobridge were always going to struggle without Quinn and against the all Ireland champs it was always going to be like that, when he returns they will be better. Trust me Down seniors will be playing the same way next year so get used to it.

Tell me you don't watch football without telling me you don't watch football.. We've not played with a sweeper all year, only time teams played 15 behind the ball was in extra time in the game yesterday. Dan was up on his on with Rory, Stefan or Oisin rotating in around him in the half forward/full forward area and Decky McClements dropping into midfield.

If it was 15 men behind the ball Point shouldn't have had over 15 wides never mind 15 shots. Again avoids question about his "Club"

You played a static sweeper v Castlewellan in quarter final?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Kong King on October 04, 2022, 07:31:39 AM
Serious question...

If your club had an open management position, would you touch Poacher with a barge pole?

Every coach in Down and Ulster are playing this way, name a club in Down that plays attractive football because I can't.

Out of curiosity, what teams in senior football would you support or watch most often?
I'm assuming Downpatrick & / or Loughinisland as they are nearest to you if you are in Ballykinlar?

Did you watch Loughinisland v Warrenpoint yesterday, 15 men behind the ball for both teams and keep ball, RGU played this way all year as well. McCorry, Gilligan, Mulholland, McBride, its all over Down and throughout Ireland, we were lucky with the penalties in the championship but the spectacles have been poor overall. Mayobridge were always going to struggle without Quinn and against the all Ireland champs it was always going to be like that, when he returns they will be better. Trust me Down seniors will be playing the same way next year so get used to it.

Tell me you don't watch football without telling me you don't watch football.. We've not played with a sweeper all year, only time teams played 15 behind the ball was in extra time in the game yesterday. Dan was up on his on with Rory, Stefan or Oisin rotating in around him in the half forward/full forward area and Decky McClements dropping into midfield.

If it was 15 men behind the ball Point shouldn't have had over 15 wides never mind 15 shots. Again avoids question about his "Club"

The Town dropped a man back and left us a defender free... that's not a sweeper

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on October 04, 2022, 08:27:44 AM
Serious question...

Deluded that Loughinisland do not play defensive-deluded

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 04, 2022, 08:47:14 AM
Serious question...

Defensive minded but most scores in Division 1? Know f**k all about f**k all so you do truth, focus on your own "club", might get somewhere if you weren't a full time  keyboard warrior

manwithnoplan

Serious question...

Would be great to see teams counter this by just sending the free man out to play an attacking role from the midfield/half forward area. Get a man who can kick long range scores or with the vision/ability to kick the ball in and it would cause a bit of panic in the opposition. The more attack minded team can trust the other defenders to win their individual battles then, like the "good old days...."

Lloyd p

Quote from: Mourne Red on October 04, 2022, 08:52:59 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 04, 2022, 08:47:14 AM
Serious question...

Defensive minded but most scores in Division 1? Know f**k all about f**k all so you do truth, focus on your own "club", might get somewhere if you weren't a full time  keyboard warrior

What is your club Mourne Red? Lol

thewobbler

While there's no doubt at all that Island are an infinitely more positive team since Jody Gormley was replaced, you're being a heavy touch sensitive there MR. Every team in Down football (and most of Ireland) uses long passages of skill-less ball retention as a way of minimising opposition touches, and to assist in physical recovery. Every team in Down plays regular short kick outs with no clear purpose other than to make sure their opponents don't get the ball. Every team in Down has a deficiency (and a lack of trust) in players willing to deliver 50 yards kick passes into space. Loughinisland must have been a pleasure to watch this season after 3 years of Jody's tripe, but spare us your plea.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 04, 2022, 12:36:30 PM
While there's no doubt at all that Island are an infinitely more positive team since Jody Gormley was replaced, you're being a heavy touch sensitive there MR. Every team in Down football (and most of Ireland) uses long passages of skill-less ball retention as a way of minimising opposition touches, and to assist in physical recovery. Every team in Down plays regular short kick outs with no clear purpose other than to make sure their opponents don't get the ball. Every team in Down has a deficiency (and a lack of trust) in players willing to deliver 50 yards kick passes into space. Loughinisland must have been a pleasure to watch this season after 3 years of Jody's tripe, but spare us your plea.

Brendan Mason was there before Gormley & was fairly successful.
Did he play a more positive brand of football?

He's got Bredagh into Division 1 for first time that I can remember.

guevara

Loughisland were set up defensively against The Point and vice versa, which resulted in it being a shite game.
The Point had nobody upfront capable of taking on his man and aside from your number 14 Loughinisland were the same.

The only way it changes and it will, is a rule change because Today's Players have become robots that lack the flair or audacity to take on a percentage risk that may change a game.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

manwithnoplan

Quote from: guevara on October 04, 2022, 07:04:23 PM
Loughisland were set up defensively against The Point and vice versa, which resulted in it being a shite game.
The Point had nobody upfront capable of taking on his man and aside from your number 14 Loughinisland were the same.

The only way it changes and it will, is a rule change because Today's Players have become robots that lack the flair or audacity to take on a percentage risk that may change a game.

Have to say young Savage and the two Masons are generally willing and able when it comes to taking a man on to make room for a score. Savage has huge potential. It may have been "tactical" that they weren't so willing to do so against CPN, again it's this fear that all teams seem to have when it comes to taking risks in the championship. Anyway I doubt CPN can afford to play with the same fear Mayobridge did against Kilcoo, otherwise they may stay at home.

Johnnysboys

I don't think it will take a rule change - just a manager somewhere to set their team out to play. I hear the county minor trials are up and running.  20 chopped from trials already which is very unfair. If ur a lad playing in the U17 C championship and are knocked out in round 2 - that was July. How are you expected to have any level of fitness 2/3 months later to compete with lads who played in the A championship at semi final or final stage. Surely making contact with schools to see what players are worth a look at would serve the purpose better. College, Abbey, St Malachys Castlewellan, St Joes, Red High, Banbridge, Acquines, all have teachers/coaches who actually care about the GAA ethos in their school and could provide Benny/Darren with information they require.

thewobbler

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 04, 2022, 10:14:34 PM

I don't think it will take a rule change - just a manager somewhere to set their team out to play. I hear the county minor trials are up and running.  20 chopped from trials already which is very unfair. If ur a lad playing in the U17 C championship and are knocked out in round 2 - that was July. How are you expected to have any level of fitness 2/3 months later to compete with lads who played in the A championship at semi final or final stage. Surely making contact with schools to see what players are worth a look at would serve the purpose better. College, Abbey, St Malachys Castlewellan, St Joes, Red High, Banbridge, Acquines, all have teachers/coaches who actually care about the GAA ethos in their school and could provide Benny/Darren with information they require.

If you honestly believe that Benny's first step was to head into trials, ahead of chats and recommendations from the various schools and development squad coaches, then you're working from an agenda.

supersub

Tell me this. Do you reckon lumping the ball in from 60 yards repeatedly a la 'the great Down v Derry game' (DJ Kane main culprit) is a better way of playing football than how it is played now? Because I tell you what, I watched that game recently and it wasn't exactly pretty on the eye.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

If you honestly believe that Benny's first step was to head into trials, ahead of chats and recommendations from the various schools and development squad coaches, then you're working from an agenda.
[/quote]

He was the development squad manager of this group ffs!! Anyone who was playing minor last year that is still underage this year would have been working under his guidance. I would hope he speaks to schools as a lot of lads don't play development squad football and therefore get overlooked. Lads develop at different stages.

thewobbler

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 04, 2022, 10:50:51 PM

[/quote]

He was the development squad manager of this group ffs!! Anyone who was playing minor last year that is still underage this year would have been working under his guidance. I would hope he speaks to schools as a lot of lads don't play development squad football and therefore get overlooked. Lads develop at different stages.
[/quote]

So he knows the age group. He knows all the relevant coaches at the age group. And as he's Benny Coulter, he can pick up the phone to any football man in the county and they'll talk to him for days.  Yet you've still found a way to come rowing in from the angle that he has started this process with blind trials.

Jesus Christ, give the man a little respect.

——

As an aside. I suppose there is always a possibility for a youngster to arrive who goes to a non-GAA school, is from a small parish and therefore C football, shows little or no prowess in either C football or other field sports thereby ensuring he is completely under the radar, meanwhile has the raw athleticism and coordination needed for county football, but whose fitness levels this October at 16 years old means he can't shine in a trial match.

But let's be honest. It ain't happening.