Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 08, 2023, 11:02:04 PM
With a days notice, bizarre. You would think they were doing ok with ad revenue cos the shows were littered with ads, it's not worth €10 though. Too much guff and average presenters

A load of very average presenters - some infact quite annoying. One day notice ridiculous.

J70

It's a shame. I enjoyed the football pod as well as their Premier League coverage.

Unfollowed.

Tubberman

Started listening to "Detectived don't Sleep" on Spotify - think it just came up as a suggestion but enjoying it so far.
It's a reviewing old (mainly American) murders from years ago and how they were solved - most have a twist in them so can keep the attention.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

lurganblue

I have a subscription to Spotify and find that i mostly end up listening to podcasts.  I know there are other apps that these are freely available on though.  I wonder do Spotify pay podcasters at all?  Or does money just mainly come from the ads

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tubberman on August 09, 2023, 10:21:57 AM
Started listening to "Detectived don't Sleep" on Spotify - think it just came up as a suggestion but enjoying it so far.
It's a reviewing old (mainly American) murders from years ago and how they were solved - most have a twist in them so can keep the attention.

With the amount of murders per day in the states that podcast will never run out of material
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Brendan

What's the best alternative now for a cheapskate like myself who won't pay for these sort of things I'd rather just have the adverts, but a tenner is quite steep for what they offer

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on August 09, 2023, 12:01:04 PM
I have a subscription to Spotify and find that i mostly end up listening to podcasts.  I know there are other apps that these are freely available on though.  I wonder do Spotify pay podcasters at all?  Or does money just mainly come from the ads
I'd say some of them are paid but you'd presume based on revenue from ads etc. The top rating pods have access to Spotify studios for recording etc.

BrotherMore6592

Only started listening to a few of the Off The Ball GAA podcasts now that niblock and McConville are done for the year.

Paddy andrews is very unlikable. A southsider Dub with a northside address only. Has almost a mcgregor swag about him on the podcast, referring to all the Dublin team as "Clucko, Mano, Fitzy," Wowzers they're all legends and this sort of speak out of him. Vomit.

James O'Donoghue is alright but they wouldn't touch GAA social for pure authenticity.

5times5times

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on August 14, 2023, 03:57:29 PM
Only started listening to a few of the Off The Ball GAA podcasts now that niblock and McConville are done for the year.

Paddy andrews is very unlikable. A southsider Dub with a northside address only. Has almost a mcgregor swag about him on the podcast, referring to all the Dublin team as "Clucko, Mano, Fitzy," Wowzers they're all legends and this sort of speak out of him. Vomit.

James O'Donoghue is alright but they wouldn't touch GAA social for pure authenticity.

Andrews is insufferable. Talks over the other 2 men at every opportunity. And rolls out all the old BS cliches. Hard on the ears.

rodney trotter

Andrews love the sound of his own voice. James Donaghue is good whenever he gets to speak m

JimStynes

The problem with these paid podcasts is that a fiver here and there soon adds up and then that's not even including the likes of your Netflix, prime etc. I only pay for the Smaller Fish one and it's the best by far to be honest.

galwayman

Quote from: JimStynes on August 14, 2023, 04:20:07 PM
The problem with these paid podcasts is that a fiver here and there soon ads up and then that's not even invoicing the likes of your Netflix, prime etc. I only pay for the Smaller Fish one and it's the best by far to be honest.
100%. When I started listening to sports podcasts they were all free pretty much - covered by sponsorship. One by one they are slowly all moving behind the pay wall.
As you say - the thing that put me off paying for any of them is that the fiver here and the fiver there (plus Vat in a lot of cases) every month can very quickly add up to a decent outlay every month in top of sky, Netflix etc etc.
So I decided not to subscribe to any of them.
I did like Parkinson's one though and the Examiner football one was decent.
I wouldn't listen to enough content to justify paying for it though

Mario

I had a similar view of Andrews at the start but he grew on me. I don't like him covering Dublin, which is presumably what you are listening to if picking up some of their more recent stuff from the AI final. I also like James O'Donoghue. I much prefer their podcast to the GAA social, but they are different products. GAA social mostly focuses on stories from personalities within the GAA whereas most of the other podcasts focus on that week's football.

I still think Smallerfish is the best. They get their review show out on a Sunday night as well which I like and a lot of other podcasts during the week basically copy a lot of what is said in that. They also have some of the best pundits - Cian Ward and Aaron Kernan are two of the best. Brendan Devenney is good craic and pretty good at the analysis too and Conan Doherty is also pretty good.

1. Smaller fish
2. Off the ball - i'll put it ahead of the Examiner as it is free
3. Irish Examiner - I like Maurice Brosnan but the Cork journo on it annoys me a bit. Have good guests too
4. GAA Social - Something different and McConville is a good analyst even if he didn't rate Derry this year!
5. RTE - Big fan of Fitzmaurice but not the rest of them
6. GAA hour - Not bad but maybe by the time it's out i've listened to everything they are going to discuss
7. Irish Independent - Always tune in to hear Dick Clerkin's biased Monaghan view.

yellowcard

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on August 14, 2023, 03:57:29 PM

I could have swore I even heard Paddy Andrews refer to Clifford as Cliffy in a recent podcast! I'd say he's ok in small doses but he has a certain smugness about him.

It's hard for these podcasts to stay relevant though. The new ones can get a bounce but maintaining it can be difficult as people often begin to get tired of the same voices saying the same repetitive things. The GAA social was excellent this season because it was new and something different but it will be harder to maintain that next year unless they continue to churn out new guests. There is only so many times you can ask 'what do you mean by that' or hail their latest podcast as possibly the greatest ever.   

Hound

Have to laugh at the "brother' absolute moron above calling Andrews a southsider!

It's incredible bad editing/management by Newstalk to continue to allow Andrews talk over his co-contributors. From the very start he did it to Andy Moran and he continues to do it to JOD. He is good, but easy to dislike as he's definitely not better than Andy/James but is allowed to bully the conversation. I'm sure it's not deliberate, he's just a motor mouth and the presenter (Tommy?) is useless.