Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: 03,05,08 on June 07, 2023, 10:36:13 PM
How good was sambo? Would he have matched up against his southern counterparts?

In my opinion there were better players on that Antrim team but they had a much lower profile
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 07, 2023, 10:56:52 PM

In my opinion there were better players on that Antrim team but they had a much lower profile
They would say round the Dall that he wasn't even the best McNaughton on the team.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 07, 2023, 07:07:36 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan worth a listen to on Desert Island Discs. Still idolised the da and he talks openly about his murder conviction but nobody seems to ask him about the victim and if it impacted their relationship. I wonder does he embargo it. Anyway worth a listen.
They are the sins of the father who has according to Ronnie "repeatedly expressed how sorry he is to the victim's family and to the authorities."

marty34

He has a high enough profile alright.

Other players were a lot better but it'd be a good thread - players who have a higher profile than their talents 'deserve', if that's the right word.

Some players get it because of one heroic game they played or because they had a certain style/haircut etc.

Snapchap

Quote from: marty34 on June 08, 2023, 12:31:49 AM

Other players were a lot better but it'd be a good thread - players who have a higher profile than their talents 'deserve', if that's the right word.

Some players get it because of one heroic game they played or because they had a certain style/haircut etc.

Aidan O'Shea.

Walter Cronc

If Rian needs protected why did he drive the shoulder into the back of Glass during the parade at the Ulster Final. His constant hard man antics are laughable at this stage. Mcgeeney might have a part to play however as Armagh are constantly at it. Closed fist tackling etc.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Snapchap on June 08, 2023, 06:38:21 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 08, 2023, 12:31:49 AM

Aidan O'Shea.

In fairness Aidan seems to be living up to the hype this year.

imtommygunn

He was gifted and a real battler but there were better players in that antrim era on his own club team. He had a unique style about him which made him more of a name and he has always had a high profile since that which keeps him more in those conversations.

That was a good era for antrim hurling though and he definitely held his own against pretty much any southern opposition in that era.

statto

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 08, 2023, 08:29:44 AM

He was gifted and a real battler but there were better players in that antrim era on his own club team. He had a unique style about him which made him more of a name and he has always had a high profile since that which keeps him more in those conversations.

That was a good era for antrim hurling though and he definitely held his own against pretty much any southern opposition in that era.

Didnt start on u-14 team then when was u16 was motm in county final some development there in a short period of time.

Main Street

Sambo's  story made a good podcast, though I was bit peeved when Thomas interrupted one of his stories  as he was about to tell of his daughter's reaction to the TG4 doc, she had just rushed into his house and .....

It's bad enough for a person like Sambo to get abuse from his peers at school but to get it from his teachers  as well, that takes the biscuit. Little doubt (relative to other areas) that a high proportion of  sadistic cnts ended up in the teaching profession or just acquired the art in the job. 

NAG1

Quote from: Main Street on June 08, 2023, 03:37:41 PM
Sambo's  story made a good podcast, though I was bit peeved when Thomas interrupted one of his stories  as he was about to tell of his daughter's reaction to the TG4 doc, she had just rushed into his house and .....

It's bad enough for a person like Sambo to get abuse from his peers at school but to get it from his teachers  as well, that takes the biscuit. Little doubt (relative to other areas) that a high proportion of  sadistic cnts ended up in the teaching profession or just acquired the art in the job.

Significant pinch of salt with this element.

Main Street

Our Irish citizens trapped  across the wrong side of the borderline are prone to exclaim that nobody down south understands their experience, therefore I humbly decided to give a little bit of my time trying to understand some chapters of how they became the way they are, that's why I started to listen more to BBC radio ulster and happened upon Thomas and Oisín.
As an aside, if you thought nordies didn't have a sense of humour, then give a listen to the side splitting selected recordings of the  Gerry Anderson Show, to be found in the BBC archives.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p071wzdt

paddyjohn

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2023, 12:00:01 AM

They would say round the Dall that he wasn't even the best McNaughton on the team.

Danny & James both better hurlers apparently and if you were talking to a different person they'd tell you that Sambos brother Shane was a better player.

Two Hands FFS

Probably the third best player in the famous Cushendall half back line after James & Leonard

Saffrongael

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on June 09, 2023, 11:11:01 PM
Probably the third best player in the famous Cushendall half back line after James & Leonard

Yep what a played Leonard was, but much too quiet and unassuming to seek the profile some did
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come