McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on January 15, 2012, 05:19:49 PM
Holy F.  Big Quig could be another Frank McGuigan in the makin?

Emmmm...no

Mr. Nakata

Decent crowd at Casement on a fresh, dry afternoon. Tyrone were shocking in the first 35 minutes. There must have been close to 10 wides with some very wayward shooting coupled with 2 or 3 into the keepers hands. Tyrone had Girvan playing at corner forward but he was deployed around the middle to sweep until replaced by Penrose with about 15 to go. He played in a similar role. Consequently Tyrone gifted the saffrons posession from every kickout for the 70 minutes which was a nonsense in my opinion. On the other hand Devine went long for the entire 70 and we just about broke even. Antrim could've been out of site we were that bad. Cassidy had to be replaced after about 20 minutes or so. Stevie O'Neill was introduced before half time and he produced a succulent 40 minutes of ball. One point off his right boot was pure class. Himself and Peter Harte are looking in top form at this early stage of the year. 6 points unanswered at the start of the 2nd half was much more like it but the saffrons battled back to 9-8 before Thomas McCann had 2 chances to score a goal in the same attack. Devine saved well though. Stevie's goal put the game to bed. Ronan O Neill showed some nice touches and always makes himself available, but kicked 2 frees into the keepers hands which wasn't great. I thought Peter Hughes at 11 battled gamely and Clark at full back had an ok debut.

Dougal

where is the tyrone fermanagh match,might pop up if i have the time.would like to see if quigleys all hes made out to be.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

PAULD123

Looking at the tables I think I am right in saying that the odds would very much be that the loser of Fermanagh and Tyrone will be the best placed runner up and qualify for the semi-final. Due to scoring difference Down are almost certainly through as it would take them to lose by around 10-15 points to St Mary's not to qualify. So that leaves Armagh as probable second placed team and in the other section Cavan are most likely to finish second. Neither Cavan nor Armagh have close to Fermanagh or Tyrone's point difference/scoring average.

So I reckon that unless there is a big margin in one game that Fermanagh and Tyrone would be favourites to progress as fist and second in Group A, which to my thinking means they will play this week and then play again next week in the semi-final.

Does that sound correct?

TheThirdManning

Not buying into the fuss about Quigley. Will see how good he is when the ground hardens up and he has to run towards the sideline to try win a ball.

Peter clearly has instilled confidence back into the group. They got a lucky draw to be fair and avoided any good teams so far but certainly an encouraging start under Canavan.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Dougal on January 16, 2012, 02:50:43 PM
where is the tyrone fermanagh match,might pop up if i have the time.would like to see if quigleys all hes made out to be.

Omagh

LeoMc

Quote from: TheThirdManning on January 16, 2012, 03:33:57 PM
Not buying into the fuss about Quigley. Will see how good he is when the ground hardens up and he has to run towards the sideline to try win a ball.

Peter clearly has instilled confidence back into the group. They got a lucky draw to be fair and avoided any good teams so far but certainly an encouraging start under Canavan.

Quigley is just the scoring outlet on a team pushing hard to impress their new manager. At this time of year he will get plenty of chances to score.
A bit of confidence and an influx of experienced players makes for a good start for Canavan.

nrico2006

I agree but on top of that 6 of his 8 points were frees the other day, the same as the week before. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sammymaguire

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 16, 2012, 04:31:39 PM
Quote from: Dougal on January 16, 2012, 02:50:43 PM

Omagh

what time is throw in? Quigley (if fully fit, which could take three-four months) has potential to be one of best fowards in Ulster for the next 5 years. Strength, power, vision, accuracy, clinical, he has shown already he has all of them in abundance
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Archie Mitchell

http://vimeo.com/35104632

Classic Stevie score. How many times has he scored a point like that over the years? If he can stay fit for Tyrone this year will be a big plus for Tyrone.

Just_Browsing

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 17, 2012, 08:34:30 AM

I agree but on top of that 6 of his 8 points were frees the other day, the same as the week before.

Free Kicks still need scored (I wasn't at that game so cant comment on the location of the frees but I would hazard a guess they weren't all 13 metres out straight in front of the posts) - having a reliable free kicker that can kick 6 points from frees on any given day is a right asset to any team.

BennyCake

Free taking from distance is really a thing from the past. The St Marys keeper took at least 5 or 6 free kicks against Armagh on Sunday. Some of them were no more than about 30 yards out. What the hell are forwards doing in training when they can't kick a point from 30 or 40 yards?!

It's time this was done away with. It eats up too much time. I'd say 5+ minutes was wasted with the keeper coming up to take frees. If a forward took that much time, the ball would have been thrown up.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: hardstation on January 17, 2012, 11:51:27 AM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 17, 2012, 11:35:45 AM
http://vimeo.com/35104632

Classic Stevie score. How many times has he scored a point like that over the years? If he can stay fit for Tyrone this year will be a big plus for Tyrone.
Doot Kelly scored a similar one in the first couple of minutes.

He's no Stevie though. Was probably a fluke.

Fuzzman

Yeah great to see Stevie back playing well, even at this time of year.

What age is this Quigley lad? He doesn't look that young.
Was he in the team the last few years or was he converted back to God's House?

rrhf

Big Quigley is on a one man mission to bring the Mc Kenna cup to Fermanagh.  Big Justy might just have his work cut out for him tomorrow night.