Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GET-Direct.com

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 31, 2012, 12:06:16 AM
Quote from: Agent Orange on March 30, 2012, 07:39:18 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 30, 2012, 07:16:38 PM
Quote from: Agent Orange on March 30, 2012, 07:13:02 PM
No rates payable on these passive houses for 5 years.
what about the value after the five years dont you think they stick the boot in when it came to rateable

They always stick the boot in, still its something.

Where exactly is this house, I wouldn't mind a look. Wonder how much extra it costs.
Monaghan Road between Armagh and Middletown. Head past Linwoods for about a mile and it is on the right hand side just past Rosie's shop/petrol pumps on the straight.

This fella did get 5 years of his rates - but unfortunately, thanks to Sammy Wilson, the Low Carbon Homes Scheme closed on the 31st March 2012 to everyone else. His rateable value was just over £2,000 per year at 2012 figures.

It is Zero Carbon, not Passive.

The house, according to his figures, was 15% more expensive to build than conventional, but 70% lower running costs.

He has solar hot water and electric, plus a wood pellet boiler and a heat recovery system. He has no underfloor heating and only 1 radiator. Majority of heat is provided via the ducting used for the heat recovery system.

The most important target on this build was air tightness, and he got a result of less than 1. And 10 is the current minimum building control standard. To look at the house it look no different from the neighbouring houses.

offtheground

I've a few questions about the groundworks required to clear a site,
How do you work out what to budget for creating a lane? - Its just a field at the minute, A local diggerman charges £25 an hour.
How many hours would it take him to clear the topsoil and level out hardcore and smaller stones to create access to the site? - How much is stone / m3? or is there a generic price you could use for each metre of laneway?
I'm just at budgeting stage at the minute - was hoping to get the lane created and site cleared before having to use mortgage money.
Any help or advice would be appreciated, Cheers.

lawnseed

Quote from: offtheground on May 08, 2012, 03:39:50 PM
How do you work out what to budget for creating a lane? - Its just a field at the minute, A local diggerman charges £25 an hour.
How many hours would it take him to clear the topsoil and level out hardcore and smaller stones to create access to the site? - How much is stone / m3? or is there a generic price you could use for each metre of laneway?
I'm just at budgeting stage at the minute - was hoping to get the lane created and site cleared before having to use mortgage money.

what you do is you stay with the digger for the first day. he'll dig like fuk because your there. then when hes finished for the day you note his time and you step out what he dug then you step out an equal amount of digging and hammer in a peg. inform him that your going to work tomorrow but you expect him to be at that peg when you get home.. a lesson learned from one of the wealthyest men in ireland. thats why hes rich..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

orangeman

Quote from: lawnseed on May 09, 2012, 10:38:57 PM
Quote from: offtheground on May 08, 2012, 03:39:50 PM

what you do is you stay with the digger for the first day. he'll dig like fuk because your there. then when hes finished for the day you note his time and you step out what he dug then you step out an equal amount of digging and hammer in a peg. inform him that your going to work tomorrow but you expect him to be at that peg when you get home.. a lesson learned from one of the wealthyest men in ireland. thats why hes rich..
[/b]

Brilliant !!  :)

NP 76

Offtheground to strip a field and make it into a lane shouldnt take more than a few days depending if all goes according to plan . Alot would depend on the stones being delivered when you need them but with companies not that busy it shoulnt be much probelm . Ring around a few quarries and get some prices for the stones . I have worked at a fair few houses and i know where the peg that lawnseed talks about would be put . Most men that have their own machines on the road will be there to work not to mess about

offtheground

Good stuff, thanks chaps. Thats a smart idea about the peg.  I intend being there with the diggerman, so I'll keep him at it. Will be a balls if i'm paying him to wait on lorry loads of stones.
How many m3 is there in a standard lorry load of stones?, i want to try and work out coverage. How much might i expect to pay for a load of stones??

oakleafgael

Quote from: offtheground on May 10, 2012, 08:30:10 AM
Good stuff, thanks chaps. Thats a smart idea about the peg.  I intend being there with the diggerman, so I'll keep him at it. Will be a balls if i'm paying him to wait on lorry loads of stones.
How many m3 is there in a standard lorry load of stones?, i want to try and work out coverage. How much might i expect to pay for a load of stones??

Its not a smart idea about the peg, if you suggested that to any half decent diggerman you would either be chewing on the peg or removing it from your hole.

Average lorry load of stone is approx 20t, 16t if its a 6 wheel lorry. 2.2t/m3. If your in the north and relatively close to a quarry you will be paying between £5/6 per t plus agg levy delivered. The agg levy is £2/t but there are ways around it.

Croí na hÉireann

Don't mess with a diggerman. I know one who was only paid half the money for leveling out a site. He found out when the site would be empty, went round and dug half of it back up. Lesson learned for everyone.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

offtheground

Quote from: oakleafgael on May 10, 2012, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: offtheground on May 10, 2012, 08:30:10 AM

Its not a smart idea about the peg, if you suggested that to any half decent diggerman you would either be chewing on the peg or removing it from your hole.

Average lorry load of stone is approx 20t, 16t if its a 6 wheel lorry. 2.2t/m3. If your in the north and relatively close to a quarry you will be paying between £5/6 per t plus agg levy delivered. The agg levy is £2/t but there are ways around it.

What are the ways around the agg levy??

borderfox

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

balladmaker

Plastering ... Anyone got a ball park figure what you paid the plasterer for dashing outside and plastering inside ... Obviously it depends on the size of the house, but a rough figure for a standard self build of 3500 - 4000 sq ft?

lawnseed

on the stones.. you would be better paying an extra 50p per ton for a continious supply of stones while the digger is on hire than trying to save and having the digger sitting around. you must tell your supplier that your paying a digger. its your money the digger man is not your friend and niether is the quarry. they both know that they are likely to get paid since they are in at the start of the work
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

wanderer

Am hoping to start building this year, and had a few questions about a lot of the technology out there for heating.

My intention is to have 2no stoves, 1 double sided in the kitchn/living area (open plan) and one in the living room with a back boiler. I seen someone who had ran heating vents from above the stove (that could be opened and shut) to other rooms in the house i.e. bedrooms) which I thought was a good idea.
Solar Panels : Hot Water/PV? Which would be best to get value for money? the roof will be south facing so both should work, its just which will give us best value for the upfront cost
Heat Recovery System : I lke the look of them but who does them that knows what they are talking about? Are they as effective as they make out?
Air Source Heat Pump : Does anyone have experience of these? I was told they were a great job with underfloor heating rather than the stupid looking radiators they supply with them

Any working knowledge of experience of these would be great. The salesmen would have you believe they are all neccessities, but you can't/shouldn't need everything

Hereiam

Build a house at the minute myself and the key is insulation insulation insulation. Forget about heat recovery, solar panels etc, the figures don't stack up. If you have a well insulated house and good heating controls you won't go wrong.

joebloggs

How much would it cost to submit plans for a field in the north and how much is the whole process likely to cost?