Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Look lads, we sorted this stupid stuff out before. We all agreed to ignore that type of comment and if you keep those arguements going you are only playing into the hands of those who are from different counties and only come on here for an arguement. If things get personal then my advice would be to ignore posters who do that.

Most people who post here are wise enough to figure out who's genuine and who's not so don't be drawn into that silly "Hogan Stand forum" mentality and just ignore it.  Personaly I think Chrimtain and Laoisabu have posted some good stuff here and no matter where they are from they are entitled to an opinion like everyone else.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

ILikeStrawberryJam

Best of luck to the lads today. We have a small chance. Hopefully a decent laois crowd turns up.

Tony

Lads, if ye want to insult each other like 5 year olds, nobody wants to see that only yourselves. There's a private messaging function on here so go in there and go nuts. Otherwise you'll just continue to look pathetic to be fair.

Regarding the match, if we beat monaghan, we deserve to be in the super 8's and I'd love to be in it. It would be great for Laois football and for youngsters interest in gaa in Laois, 100%. If, as expected, we come up short, then so be it. We've had a great year at senior level, all things considered. It's bonus territory so I hope all go out, let loose and express ourselves. As sugrue says, let's see where that takes us. Laois abu!

Joeythelips

Exactly that Tony. People are saying Super 8 is a step too far for Laois, and if we are honest that is probably accurate given where they have come from. It's not unloyal to suggest this as we can see with our eyes the difference between the ourselves and Monaghan over the past couple of years. Fortunately for us such things are not decided on message boards but on a football field. Today Laois take on a Division 1 team, one of the few to have beaten Dublin and if Laois can beat them then they will more than have earned the right to be in the Super 8s. Best of luck to them.

Giovanni

I'm going to miss today's game for reasons that I can't control but I would echo the sentiments of most people on here. If all 15+ players work like dogs we have a chance. I'd have some concerns about Damien O Connor at corner back today but he's an experienced player at this stage so hopefully it'll work out. In fairness Sugrue has got the majority of these calls right so hopefully this is another good call.

The very best of luck to all today. As Tony says none of us can make any complaint  as long as there is a decent performance. I'm sure the boys will give a strong account of themselves today.

seafoid

A fighting performance from Laois. Hard luck but a huge improvement on last year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Joeythelips

Laois could have given up the ghost after the first half in that heat, but fair play the gave it everything in the second half. Sugrue certainly has shown he is the man to get the best out of the players. A bit of pride has being restored to the jersey after the past few years. Thanks to the players and management for their efforts this year.

Laoiseabu

Have to hand it to Sugrue . He has squeezed almost everything he could out of the hand he was dealt . Super 8s has proved a step too far as we suspected but at least we never lay down today . You could be forgiven for saying the game was up at half time but we still tried hard till the very end . It could of been so much worse if it wasn't for Brody who is definitely in the top 5-6 keepers in the country. It's gonna be hard to replace a lot of those older players we have but what we have is what we have especially competing as a dual County . You have done us proud this year John and the Laois team . Balls and guts was shown this year that I haven't seen in a number of years. You have restored pride in the jersey . Well done lads . Laois Abu. Now roll on to the senior club championship 💙💙

Jd

I couldn't get to the match cos of work but was listening to Jack Nolan. When we were seven or eight behind we were facing a hiding but somehow you knew that this team wouldn't lie down and that is down to attitude which John Sugrue and the management have instilled in this group. I am very proud to be a Laois man this evening. This is only year one of what I hope is a long term development plan.we have a good development officer in Fergal ,a super new centre of excellence and a top senior manager. We're 5 to 7 years behind the likes of Monaghan in terms of s+c so we have to be patient. I have been involved in underage football and know that the players are in the clubs. Some ridiculously talented, so we have to identify what type of players we need and make sure they are properly looked after .....sounds easy doesn't it!!! Patience is a virtue but we'll get there

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Jd on July 08, 2018, 07:05:03 PM
I couldn't get to the match cos of work but was listening to Jack Nolan. When we were seven or eight behind we were facing a hiding but somehow you knew that this team wouldn't lie down and that is down to attitude which John Sugrue and the management have instilled in this group. I am very proud to be a Laois man this evening. This is only year one of what I hope is a long term development plan.we have a good development officer in Fergal ,a super new centre of excellence and a top senior manager. We're 5 to 7 years behind the likes of Monaghan in terms of s+c so we have to be patient. I have been involved in underage football and know that the players are in the clubs. Some ridiculously talented, so we have to identify what type of players we need and make sure they are properly looked after .....sounds easy doesn't it!!! Patience is a virtue but we'll get there

I would want you with me if I was going to the gallows your most definitely on the glass half full side:0 

Brody was immense in 2nd half, but that is because he was the busier of the two keepers.  The reality is Beggin had nothing to do.  Well done to Laois for sticking with it but Monaghan were not near full pelt in the second half and always had 4 points in a 2nd half where we never really threatened their goal.  It was a decentish season but the onlyteam we beat operating above Div 4 was Westmeath and who were in full on mutiny when we met them.  Saying that I remember last year where we would have been hard pressed to beat Waterford.  While today reads well our best 25 mins of football was against Dublin, I don't subscribe to todays performance being that good.  However those first 25 against Dublin, that was excellent.  So I suppose a lot done this year a lot to do.  I would not echo previous poster in relation to underage set up, there are talented players but the reality is they are not getting the support they need.  I know money is tight in the county board set up but we could do with sticking a few quid behind the underage teams if we are to progress it is going to need investment.  The training center while laudable is taking far too great a share of our resources, we cannot ignore the need for what is small amounts of money behind our development squads and the there is a major need for more GDA's in our urban centers. But the senior team back on track and being supported will trickle down to help this.  This year was a step in the right direction but we should build on this not sit back and expect it to continue.

SCFC

Well, that's that.
Back to the clubs now.
Hopefully the local championships throw up a few new faces for next year's squad. As for this year, we're in a lot better place than 12 months ago. Back up to Division 3, reached a Leinster final and got within one game of the super 8s.
Fair play to Sugrue. I think he will be an even better manager next year. Remember he was taking a county team for the first time too. He'll have learned a lot too.
Today I thought we finished with a stronger team than we started with. How Walsh only gets a few minutes is beyond me. How Donoher is dropped while Farrell starts is mind boggling. Felt for Ross there today. He was way off the pace needed although he never stopped trying.
So much more could be said but pints.... :)