building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

I would be keen on MHRV, it just seems a minefield as to what heating system to pair along with it
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

giveherlong

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 12, 2019, 10:40:11 AM
I would be keen on MHRV, it just seems a minefield as to what heating system to pair along with it

You can use any heating system along with it. It doesn't affect it either way
You have to ventilate the house some way, either with trickle vents in windows and extractor fans in wet rooms
All houses now are trying to be as air tight as possible. Trickle vents and extractors have the opposite effect
MVHR extracts the stale air from your house and as this stale air is being removed it warms up the fresh air coming in.
Depending on the room, you'll have an extract or fresh air flow in the ceiling
Speak to Atlantic Air in Dunamore, Cookstown or Homecare in Donaghmore, Dungannon. Both recommended.
Email them your plans and they'll price it up for you
http://www.atlanticairtesting.com/
https://www.homecaresystems.biz/about-us-mvhr-ventilation-installers-ni/

WT4E

Just wondering if anyone on here would have an idea of what a fully qualified and good rep architect would charge in fees for house from scratch 2700 sq foot for full job?

Ed Hardy

Anyone from the North any experience in claiming tax back from self build? Got the house signed off by building control February 2019, so was able to get the final draw of the mortgage just got it spent there before xmas so only getting around to claiming the tax now, says on the tax website returns should be filled in within 3 months of house being signed off, Ive never heard of this before, anyone shed any light on it?

giveherlong

Quote from: Ed Hardy on February 10, 2020, 06:07:58 PM
Anyone from the North any experience in claiming tax back from self build? Got the house signed off by building control February 2019, so was able to get the final draw of the mortgage just got it spent there before xmas so only getting around to claiming the tax now, says on the tax website returns should be filled in within 3 months of house being signed off, Ive never heard of this before, anyone shed any light on it?

From what you are saying you got full Building Control Approval Certificate issued in Feb 2019? Whatever document you are using as evidence of completion you have 3 months from document date to get your claim in. If your claim is late you need to send accompanying letter explaining delay. You have a couple of options here:

1 Send the letter explaining why late along with building control cert  as evidence
2 a letter from your bank or building society to certify last date the loan instalment was released
3 Rates District Valuer Certificate of valuation

I would go for option 2 if the rates crowd haven't been with you yet? All of the above is in the notes with the claim form on the website on pages 6-7.

The helpline number is on their website but don't mention you have full building control if going for option 2

Came across this site on another forum
Some good advice
https://www.vat431.co.uk/

Good luck with it as it's usually a tight sum of money and you don't want to be missing out

Jim_Murphy_74

If you are thinking of building in the south I would hold out for a free house from the Shinners.

/Jim.

Cavan19

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 10, 2020, 10:15:29 PM
If you are thinking of building in the south I would hold out for a free house from the Shinners.

/Jim.

Yep Mary Lou is winding up the mixer it's out of diesel though so she just called slab to drop over some.

Ed Hardy

Quote from: giveherlong on February 10, 2020, 09:59:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on February 10, 2020, 06:07:58 PM

From what you are saying you got full Building Control Approval Certificate issued in Feb 2019? Whatever document you are using as evidence of completion you have 3 months from document date to get your claim in. If your claim is late you need to send accompanying letter explaining delay. You have a couple of options here:

1 Send the letter explaining why late along with building control cert  as evidence
2 a letter from your bank or building society to certify last date the loan instalment was released
3 Rates District Valuer Certificate of valuation

I would go for option 2 if the rates crowd haven't been with you yet? All of the above is in the notes with the claim form on the website on pages 6-7.

The helpline number is on their website but don't mention you have full building control if going for option 2

Came across this site on another forum
Some good advice
https://www.vat431.co.uk/

Good luck with it as it's usually a tight sum of money and you don't want to be missing out

Thanks for the advice. Il contact them in the morning 1st thing.

clarshack

if precast concrete foundation slabs were to be supplied and fitted for a self build, should the invoice be zero rated for VAT?

Erne Man

Clarshack - my understanding is that if it is invoiced to your builder/contractor there will be VAT charged, but the builder wont pass the VAT onto you as it is a new build, and assuming the builder is VAT registered.
If the product is being invoiced to you, and is supply and fit by the manufacturer, my understanding is that they dont have to charge VAT, so long as they have your building control reference.
Our build is being managed by the contractor so all materials invoiced to him, but our gas fire supplier & installer who we are buying from directly, told me about the zero rated option.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Erne Man on February 11, 2020, 12:22:49 PM
Clarshack - my understanding is that if it is invoiced to your builder/contractor there will be VAT charged, but the builder wont pass the VAT onto you as it is a new build, and assuming the builder is VAT registered.
If the product is being invoiced to you, and is supply and fit by the manufacturer, my understanding is that they dont have to charge VAT, so long as they have your building control reference.
Our build is being managed by the contractor so all materials invoiced to him, but our gas fire supplier & installer who we are buying from directly, told me about the zero rated option.

That's true if you have a contractor involved who is doing the work but if you are self building anything that is is supplied and fitted on site is zero vat rated. So if the guys doing your slabs fit them into place then they shouldn't charge you VAT. If they delivered them and left them beside the house for you to fit or someone else then they would have to charge you VAT.

clarshack

clarshack

anybody here used insulated pre-cast slabs. how does the insulation compare to traditional floor insulation?

giveherlong

Quote from: clarshack on February 25, 2020, 12:47:19 PM
anybody here used insulated pre-cast slabs. how does the insulation compare to traditional floor insulation?

Would depend on your heating system
Are you going underfloor? If so I wouldn't go near them as you would want the heat to immediately deflect upwards into your screed acting as thermal mass rather than heating extra concrete for no real reason?(you would be wasting energy heating the slab and have a slower response time)
Go with traditional pre stressed or precast. Get them to seal the cores. McGarritys or Spanwright would been keen
Put down your floor insulation and clip your UFH heating pipes to the insulation

clarshack

No not getting underfloor heating.