Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

I saw him on TV... wee small boy about thon height with the biggest man in the world. Now Zig, if you'd shown me how to post, we'd get to see Ping-Ping  :-\

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 15, 2010, 09:47:21 PM
I saw him on TV... wee small boy about thon height with the biggest man in the world. Now Zig, if you'd shown me how to post, we'd get to see Ping-Ping  :-\

Seen him in a couple of interviews in recent years. A chain smoker.
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2010, 09:51:57 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 15, 2010, 09:47:21 PM

Seen him in a couple of interviews in recent years. A chain smoker.

Aye!! that's him! he wasn't much bigger than  a shoe  :o

Never beat the deeler

John Mulhern dies aged 69

Businessman and race horse trainer John Mulhern has died.

The 69-year-old, who was married to Eimear Mulhern, daughter of the late Taoiseach Charles Haughey, passed away at the Mater Private hosptial in Dublin this morning.

The former head of the Findus food operation in Ireland also previously ran the Meadow Court stud in Kildare.

He had been named in the Anbacher investigation into bogus non-resident accounts and it was confirmed only last Friday that Mr. Mulhern had made a €1.4m settlement with the Revenue Commissioners.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/john-mulhern-dies-aged-69-450129.html#ixzz0iJn6CJdF
Hasta la victoria siempre

ballela-angel

Just was told that Patsy O'Hagan died this morning - He was on the Down 1960 and 1961 AI teams and captain of Down in 1962 - Patsy played in every position in the red and black over the years except for goalkeepr - He hasn't been well for a while and made it to Dublin for the recent 1960 Down team return to Croke Park for an upcoming TV show, but wasn't well enough to actually go from the hotel to the pitch - RIP
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

longrunsthefox

Know wat I mean 'arry

Harry Carpenter, the BBC's 'voice of boxing', dies age 84

Carpenter was the BBC's voice of boxing for almost half a century after joining the corporation in 1949, when he first began commentating on the sport.
Known for his double act with British boxing great Frank Bruno, Carpenter also presented Sportsnight, Grandstand and Sports Personality of the Year.
He retired in 1994 and died in his sleep at King's College Hospital in London in the early hours of Saturday.

Carpenter, who also wrote for the Greyhound Express and Daily Mail in the early years of his career, was on air for the "Rumble in the Jungle" between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of Congo) in 1974.
He labelled the end of the contest - underdog Ali won by knockout in the eighth round to reclaim the world heavyweight crown at the age of 32 - as "the most extraordinary few seconds that I have ever seen in a boxing ring".

Of Ali himself, Carpenter said: "He is not only the most remarkable sports personality I have ever met, he is the most remarkable man I have ever met."
Carpenter had the privilege of presenting Ali with the BBC's Sports Personality of the Century award in 1999.
A year later, Carpenter recalled: "It was a wonderfully poignant moment. I was very flattered and pleased that I was asked to do the tribute to him.
"It was such a shame to see the old boy tottering about, but we had a chat afterwards and he is still very, very sharp. He remembers all those old days."

In 1989, he received American Sportscasters' Association and International Sportscaster of the Year awards.

Declan

Declan

'I Spy' Actor Robert Culp Dies After Fall

12:19am UK, Thursday March 25, 2010

Damien Pearse, Sky News Online
American TV actor Robert Culp, best known as a secret agent in the 1960s hit "I Spy, has died after a fall.

Culp, 79, struck his head after falling during a walk in the grounds of his home in Los Angeles.

He was pronounced dead at Queen of Angels Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center.

A hospital spokeswoman said: "It appears that the individual had fallen down and struck his head.

"It's still a preliminary investigation and we're still waiting on the official cause of death."

She said there was no indication of foul play.

Culp, who was born in Oakland, California, earned his first major role on television in the late 1950s Western "Trackdown", playing a Texas Ranger named Toby Gilman.

His most famous role was as Kelly Robinson, a secret agent with a double life as a professional tennis player, in the popular series "I Spy."

Culp also wrote the scripts for seven episodes of the show, which ran from 1965 to 1968 and featured Bill Cosby.

In the 1980s, he returned to a starring role in prime-time US television as an FBI agent on "The Greatest American Hero".

He was also reunited briefly with Cosby on an episode of "The Cosby Show".

In later years, Culp became active in civic causes, joining in a lawsuit to stop construction of an elephant exhibit at the Los Angeles Zoo.

Minder

Martin Elliott, photographer of the 1970's cheeky tennis poster, dies.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article7085328.ece

The photographer who created one of the iconic images of the 1970s, a tennis player with her skirt hitched up, has died aged 63 without ever repeating the success of his most famous picture.

Martin Elliott was a photographic student when he persuaded his girlfriend at the time, 18-year-old Fiona Butler, to pose for the shot. Tennis Girl was bought by the Athena chain of poster shops and swiftly claimed its place on teenage boys' bedroom walls around the world.

Mr Elliott retained the copyright of the image and made a fortune. But Ms Butler, who had had to borrow a tennis skirt, racket and tennis balls, did not make a penny, although she did go on to marry a millionaire.

For the photographer, the early breakthrough was as much a curse as a blessing. He always complained that he could not get commissions because clients assumed that as the creator of one of the world's most famous images, his services would be too expensive.

RELATED LINKS
Tennis Girl: a 70s icon that divided society
Did you know?
Game, sex and match. The truth about Wimbledon
The picture was taken in 1976 and was first published in a calendar marking the 1977 Silver Jubilee. It was the year Virginia Wade won the Wimbledon ladies singles championship. The poster, derided by critics as a "schoolboy's fantasy", went on to sell two million copies through Athena and continued to sell even after the chain went bust in the 1990s.

Mr Elliott never revealed how much he earned from it but in 1978 Athena was selling copies for £2. Even in recent years he was offering signed copies for £300 through his own website. He died peacefully at his home in Perranwell Station near Truro, Cornwall, after a ten-year fight against cancer.

The photograph was taken on a university tennis court in Edgbaston, Birmingham, where Mr Elliott was studying photography. In a recent interview he said: "It was an afternoon in September at the end of the long hot summer. It was over very quickly. I only took one roll of film, which is pretty feeble for a photographer, and I just hoped I'd got the shot." He worked in advertising before retiring 11 years ago. His widow, Noelle, said: "I am still getting royalties to this day. They are only a few pence but because it has sold all over the world we have done well out of it."

Ms Butler, now 50, later married Ian Walker, a businessman, and the couple live with their children in Stourport, Worcestershire. Speaking in 2007, she said that, despite not being paid, she was proud of having one of the world's most famous bottoms. It was years before her identity was revealed. "It became one of those pictures that everyone knows and everyone's seen," she said. "I like the fact that it's got a bit of an air of mystery about it. I think that's what helped with its longevity, because people kept wondering if it was anyone famous.

"My son's headmaster once said to me that he used to have it on his wall at university. My children have never been upset about it. It's really nothing that anyone could be offended by. It's just a bit of fun."

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Farrandeelin

Boys do ye remember in the beginning of this thread when it was all funny stories...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Minder

John Forsythe of Dynasty fame, "Blake Carrington", aged 92.

Minder

Eugene Terrablanche murdered in South Africa

South African white supremacist leader Eugene Terreblanche has been killed on his farm in the country's north-west.
Mr Terreblanche, 69, was beaten to death after a dispute over unpaid wages, local media reports said. Two people are said to have been arrested.
Mr Terreblanche, who campaigned for a separate white homeland, came to prominence in the early 1980s.
He became the champion of a tiny minority determined to stop the process that was bringing apartheid to an end.
"Mr Terreblanche's body was found on the bed with facial and head injuries," AFP news agency quoted a police spokesman as saying.
The report said he had been killed after a payment dispute with two workers, who have since been charged with his murder.
"He was hacked to death while he was taking a nap," a family friend in the town of Ventersdorp was quoted as telling Reuters news agency.
Prison sentence
The murder comes amid growing anxiety about crime in South Africa and what opposition politicians say are irresponsible and racially inflammatory sentiments from a minority of the ruling ANC party, says the BBC's Karen Allen in Johannesburg.
Farming organisations in the Ventersdorp area have called for calm as they are worried that rising tensions may escalate out of control.
Our correspondent says it is too soon to say whether Saturday's killing was politically motivated.
However, a spokesman for Mr Terreblanche's Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (Afrikaner Resistance Movement - AWB) linked the killing to the recent singing of an apartheid-era song by the head of the ruling ANC party's youth league.
"That's what this is all about," Andre Visagie told Reuters news agency. "They used pangas and pipes to murder him as he slept."
Mr Terreblanche was released from prison in 2004 after serving three years of a five-year term for attempted murder.
He had founded the white supremacist AWB in 1970, to oppose what he regarded as the liberal policies of the then-South African leader, John Vorster.
His party tried terrorist tactics and threatened civil war in the run-up to South Africa's first democratic elections.
In the 1980s, the government of PW Botha considered a constitutional plan allowing South Africa's Asian and coloured (mixed-race) minorities to vote for racially-segregated parliamentary chambers.
For the likes of Mr Terreblanche, this was the start of the slippery slope towards democracy, communism, black rule and the destruction of the Afrikaner nation, analysts say.
Claiming on occasion to be a cultural organisation - albeit one with sidearms and paramilitary uniforms - Mr Terreblanche and his men promised to fight for the survival of the white tribe of Africa.
Mr Terreblance continued to campaign to preserve the apartheid system until the early 1990s but had lived in relative obscurity since it collapsed.
The AWB was revived two years ago and there had been recent efforts to form a united front among white far-right groups.

The Real Laoislad

Your a great man for the deaths Minder.... Thanks
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 04, 2010, 12:42:28 AM
Your a great man for the deaths Minder.... Thanks

Not a bother. As long as I am not posting yours you will be grand !

stephenite

DEREK CROZIER, better known to Irish Times crossword fans as Crosaire, has died in Zimbabwe, aged 92. He began compiling crosswords for the paper in 1943.

Mr Crozier, who lived in Harare, Zimbabwe, died on Saturday. "He became ill on Good Friday morning while compiling a crossword, and died in office, you could say," Mr Crozier's son Brian, said last night.

Derek Crozier started his career as a clerk of the Guinness Brewery in Dublin and moved to southern Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, in 1948.

Former crossword editor with The Irish Times , Lorna Kernan, paid tribute to Crozier, who she described as "a real gentleman".

"He did up all his crosswords on a manual typewriter. Because of problems in Zimbabwe, he would give the crosswords to anyone he could pawn them off to who was travelling to the UK or other parts of Europe, who would then post them on to me," Ms Kernan said.

"He never solved a crossword in his life but he was a genius and a dab hand at compiling crosswords," she added. The first Crosaire came about after Mr Crozier told Irish Times journalist Jack White in the Pearl Bar on Fleet Street in 1942 that it was "a sort of hobby" of his to make up crosswords. The name Crosaire was inspired by the then common road signs bearing the Irish cros aire – crossroads – as well as being a play on his name.