Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Quote from: Angelo on August 25, 2020, 11:51:43 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 25, 2020, 09:02:29 AM
Strabane have really regressed this past few years - are they down numbers / nothing coming through or what's the story?

Big enough catchment area and great faciities from what I remember

We don't seem to do well out of our big towns - Dungannon, Cookstown, Strabane.

The same Dungannon that is top of the league? That Dungannon?

GetOverTheBar

Think he means producing county players

LeoMc

Quote from: Pearse Blue on August 25, 2020, 09:24:53 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 24, 2020, 03:55:00 PM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on August 24, 2020, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 24, 2020, 03:03:32 PM
The Rock have a chance if its a bad weekend. Dry day, Edendork will take them easy enough. Eglish look to be in the way for the whole thing, they are going rightly under the radar.
Are Eglish ready to come up again though? Very young team, with very little senior presence.. Possibly better to stay in intermediate for a while. Otherwise they will end up like Galbally & Pomeroy yoyoing up and down this past few years

They might have a very high profile return come the end of this year from what I hear....

Don't start this craic again
Like Christmas stuff in the shops, it seems to happen earlier and earlier every year.

Angelo

Quote from: Under Lights on August 25, 2020, 12:46:51 PM
Strabane have really regressed this past few years - are they down numbers / nothing coming through or what's the story?

Dungannon have been yoyoing between intermediate and senior for the best part of a decade.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Out of interest when was the last time one of Strabane/Dungannon/Cookstown won a senior championship?

Omagh had also gone a good 20+ years without one until recently. You'd expect clubs of their size to be dominating the senior scene if they had their acts together.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on August 25, 2020, 02:05:50 PM
Out of interest when was the last time one of Strabane/Dungannon/Cookstown won a senior championship?

Omagh had also gone a good 20+ years without one until recently. You'd expect clubs of their size to be dominating the senior scene if they had their acts together.

In terms of numbers, they aren't really all that big (bar Omagh). Dungannon getting themselves together even picking a few players Coalisland style from the surrounding areas at various age levels.

Strabane has always been a small GAA club numbers wise, Cookstown has been torn apart with politics for awhile now too.

None of them get close to likes of Errigal or Carrickmore, Coalisland or Clonoe in pure playing numbers.

clarshack

just noticed that Rock v Edendork is fixed for our pitch on Saturday and I can't remember the Rock losing a game on our new pitch in league and championship.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Under Lights on August 25, 2020, 12:46:51 PM

Aye, the same Dungannon. Sure half the matches last week were played using reserve teams. None of the big hitters putting much effort into the league as far as I can see. Clarkes are improving to be fair but still a wee bit behind the usual half dozen top teams

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 25, 2020, 02:14:54 PM

In terms of numbers, they aren't really all that big (bar Omagh). Dungannon getting themselves together even picking a few players Coalisland style from the surrounding areas at various age levels.

Strabane has always been a small GAA club numbers wise, Cookstown has been torn apart with politics for awhile now too.

None of them get close to likes of Errigal or Carrickmore, Coalisland or Clonoe in pure playing numbers.

I know Dungannon and Cookstown have sizable unionist populations but they are big towns with one club. They have big playing numbers and should be doing better. Strabane has an almost totally nationalist population and certainly underachieve.

I think if these clubs got their acts together then they shouldbe pushing for senior titles with the playing numbers they would have.

We have no county players from any of those towns at present and possibly 2/3 from Omagh. Those towns combined also probably come close to half the population of Tyrone?

delgany

Would Strabane not tend to  favour the soccer ball ?
Dungannon have a very progressive Hurling club and both working hard.
There are 4 clubs in the Omagh area, although Omagh are doing massive work at underage, reintroducing hurling and camogie.
Cookstown is a bit of a conundrum?

marty34

Quote from: Angelo on August 25, 2020, 05:47:14 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 25, 2020, 02:14:54 PM

I know Dungannon and Cookstown have sizable unionist populations but they are big towns with one club. They have big playing numbers and should be doing better. Strabane has an almost totally nationalist population and certainly underachieve.

I think if these clubs got their acts together then they shouldbe pushing for senior titles with the playing numbers they would have.

We have no county players from any of those towns at present and possibly 2/3 from Omagh. Those towns combined also probably come close to half the population of Tyrone?

8s Cookstown a big town re: population wise. I know there's a big long street but outwith that is the many new housing developments around it?

sam03/05

Starting to see a bit of resurgence in cookstown
Most of their underage are playing grade 1 again, they have two u14 & 2 u16 teams
I'd say they will come back again at some stage.
They did win two AI club titles in the last ten years and provided the county with 2 AI minor winning captains - so not all bad. Things go in cycles for most clubs

WT4E

Quote from: delgany on August 25, 2020, 06:36:40 PM
Would Strabane not tend to  favour the soccer ball ?
Dungannon have a very progressive Hurling club and both working hard.
There are 4 clubs in the Omagh area, although Omagh are doing massive work at underage, reintroducing hurling and camogie.
Cookstown is a bit of a conundrum?

Dungannon had a lotta hoods too!

Under Lights

Anyone got access to the membership numbers per club, it was posted on here before.

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone