The Drop Kick

Started by Orior, April 15, 2020, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 20, 2020, 02:10:02 PM
I remember a  great  drop kick pass from Jimmy Burke in to Seán Lowry who scored a cracking goal. Think it was 1985 Connacht Final. Maybe some of the Mayo lads can fish it out.

I was just looking for that very clip. The Lochra Gael episode on the Lowrys shows Sean Lowry catching it and scoring but not the pass itself

A skillful player could weight a beautiful pass using a drop kick, and that's exactly what Jimmy Burke did.......he could get height and distance yet slow the ball at the same time  to make it easier for the recipient to catch it

Tatler Jack

QuoteA skillful player could weight a beautiful pass using a drop kick, and that's exactly what Jimmy Burke did.......he could get height and distance yet slow the ball at the same time  to make it easier for the recipient to catch it

Indeed a nicely flighted dropped kick pass would land like a butterfly in your hands. Burke's pass that day was about 40 yards and found Lowry perfectly. Most of the Mayo lads around me considered it a fluke though🤪

whitey

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 20, 2020, 03:01:52 PM
QuoteA skillful player could weight a beautiful pass using a drop kick, and that's exactly what Jimmy Burke did.......he could get height and distance yet slow the ball at the same time  to make it easier for the recipient to catch it

Indeed a nicely flighted dropped kick pass would land like a butterfly in your hands. Burke's pass that day was about 40 yards and found Lowry perfectly. Most of the Mayo lads around me considered it a fluke though🤪

Don't know about that-maybe 9/10 times it wouldn't have landed like it did but he absolutely was aiming for him

If I recall correctly Burke was kicking against the wind, so possibly the wind held up the ball as much as the back spin he put on it

Milltown Row2

Always felt that the soccer players that played GAA used the drop kick mainly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2020, 07:11:01 PM
Always felt that the soccer players that played GAA used the drop kick mainly

Yes, very true. I suppose the half volley is natural to soccer.

imtommygunn

Damn association footballers.

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 20, 2020, 09:51:42 PM
Damn association footballers.

Sure it's where our game originally came from!  ;)

imtommygunn

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 16, 2020, 11:01:40 PM
Derek Duggan scored a lovely dropkick goal for the Rossies in the 1991 AISF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wY1Stqows

A hard shot to read for a keeper.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 21, 2020, 10:57:59 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 16, 2020, 11:01:40 PM
Derek Duggan scored a lovely dropkick goal for the Rossies in the 1991 AISF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wY1Stqows

A hard shot to read for a keeper.

Drop kick players back in the day were dreadful to play against, you never knew how to go in  and block their kick

Bit like playing a technically shit hurling team but they are fit as f**k and you don't know how to approach them in a tackle and how they approach you!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rosnarun

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 20, 2020, 02:10:02 PM
I remember a  great  drop kick pass from Jimmy Burke in to Seán Lowry who scored a cracking goal. Think it was 1985 Connacht Final. Maybe some of the Mayo lads can fish it out.
I think Padraig brogan score a freat foal the dame year and the two if them wer down to the last 3 for goal of the year. I think brogan Won
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Itchy

Did mackey sort of drop lick a goal against armagh in breffni in Championship a few years back

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on April 15, 2020, 03:52:43 PM
Yes, when I think drop kicks, Down come into my head.
Paul Higgins was another who used one in the 1994 game against Derry at Celtic Park, taking a sideline. Shown on TG4 this afternoon.

shyted

big anthany had a rite effort well saved in that game screened theday

redzone

Tohill at the start to day, bad miss for goal with a drop kick