Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 25, 2021, 09:19:08 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on January 24, 2021, 11:03:07 PM
Great game and great result. Could and should have made it an easier win. Their 2nd goal was a gift. No idea what was going on with kickouts. Maguire was poor again today.  Hope rasher isnt injured.

I have been wondering this about uniteds kickouts too, They have done it alot recently. I dont understand the thinking at all, especially with Maguire so prone to a mistake

To be fair when DeGea is in it keeps the opposition honest on the kick outs as if there is a high press he has the ability to ping it out to the wings accurately, Henderson doesnt have that yet.

I dont mind it as Maguire is better on the ball than people give him credit for.

Great result and to be fair it was comfortable and should have been more so which maybe shows the progress and the confidence that is building.

BennyCake

Great game and great result. Could and should have made it an easier win. Their 2nd goal was a gift. No idea what was going on with kickouts. Maguire was poor again today.  Hope rasher isnt injured.

I have been wondering this about uniteds kickouts too, They have done it alot recently. I dont understand the thinking at all, especially with Maguire so prone to a mistake

I assume it's to draw Liverpool players towards them, and create space further out the field to play the ball. But it's very risky. One slip and it's a goal.

NAG1

Quote from: BennyCake on January 25, 2021, 11:30:31 AM

I assume it's to draw Liverpool players towards them, and create space further out the field to play the ball. But it's very risky. One slip and it's a goal.

That's it in a nutshell, bring the high press on and try to get in behind it as quickly as possible.
Risky for sure, but the midfielders are now more comfortable receiving that initial pass and bringing it out, last season Fred especially got caught and turned over so many times in that area, definitely have worked on it and he isnt getting caught as much.

Maroon Manc

Great to be on the right end of the result, thought we looked dangerous every time we went forward. Ole was a lot more attacking with his selection, 3 genuine forwards and 2 attacking midfielders in VDB & Pogba so it was a change from how he usually approaches big games which shows confidence is growing. Got to laugh at Pogba, where was he the last 4 years; There's such a difference in his work rate and how he tracks back, clearly just couldn't be bothered previously.

Greenwood needed that goal, played very well too and was a constant threat. VDB the only disappointment, the game passed him by.

pbat

Im not defending Pogba but I think the previous 4 years he was looking at the quality alongside him and saying to himself what's the point we are going now where. Now a lot of the deadwood has been cleared and playing with world class players in Cavini and Fernandes he sees potential. Even they don't win the Premiership but Ole assures him of a couple of high profile signings in the summer the push for a move might not be big it as previous was.

Cunny Funt

The biggest improvements in Pogbas game the last number of weeks has been his workrate and defensive play. For example his tackle in the build up to Uniteds 1st goal yesterday has been rarely seen before from him in a United jersey.

The two goals conceded yesterday was very preventable. Fred and Matic are better doing the CDM role than McTominay. He along with Shaw and Lindelof was caught napping on the 1st goal and while the 2nd goal came from a misplaced Cavani pass Henderson should have save that shot with his legs.

I'd expect more rotation for Wednesdays game against Sheffield United. Telles, Bailly, Fred, Martial all likely given starts.  Diallo could make his debut off the bench.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: pbat on January 25, 2021, 03:30:48 PM
Im not defending Pogba but I think the previous 4 years he was looking at the quality alongside him and saying to himself what's the point we are going now where. Now a lot of the deadwood has been cleared and playing with world class players in Cavini and Fernandes he sees potential. Even they don't win the Premiership but Ole assures him of a couple of high profile signings in the summer the push for a move might not be big it as previous was.
Jose made the point at the world cup that he can only focus for a short time like the World Cup but it may be that up until now there was never any actual quality and possibility of winning anything. That's got him going again. There's probably a combination of him really enjoying playing in this team and him playing for a move that's got him going. If one of the big clubs don't come in he may sign a new contract. I can't see Utd losing money on him if a proper offer doesn't come in.

Look-Up!

Pogba has always shown he possesses top qualities as a footballer. What Utd fans are seeing now is nothing new. From a neutral point of view who doesn't watch every Utd game, he has produced in spurts in the past. Two years ago when OGS first arrived Utd went into championship winning form for a good 15 odd games. Pogba played a big part and think he finished season top scorer. Problem is he will switch off for 1/3 of the season. So do you stick or twist? Before it was a huge problem as he was the main man but now Fernandes has shown up and is the consistent leader, Pogba is a luxury (albeit a very expensive luxury) that looks more affordable. Whether it is wise to hold onto him is a decision they will have to make soon. My inkling would be to get rid if the money is right but wouldn't surprise me to see him stay on for another huge contract.

I think getting rid of Pogba and another shrewd signing in MF could be the making of the team. I never bought into the complete rebuild talk about Utd. A few tweaks here and there have been transformational for them. Fernandes is the big one. His quality, experience and standards he sets and expects I would imagine have been hugely beneficial to the younger players. A more settled defence ( I suppose not having to play Phil Jones will settle any defence), GK showing better form again and the signing of Cavani (again his experience and professionalism will benefit younger lads both on and off the field) have got Utd looking like contenders.
If it lasts or if history will repeat itself is hard to say. Injuries will have a big say and I don't trust OGS as a crisis manager but I think they will stay in the race this season. Whether they are champions come summer is another story but I think the next transfer window for them is huge, Pogba being the biggest decision.

NAG1

Years ago, I think a lot of fans would have been get rid and get the money in.

That has changed slightly IMO with the Glazers still at the helm, fans wouldn't be worried about letting him run his contract down and walking away on a free as much now as previously.  The money from a huge transfer would likely end up being syphoned off any what is the difference.

If he can push the team to a consistent title challenge this season he may be intrigued enough to stay around to build something. But who knows with him and his rat of an agent. Thing is, it's not like the market of a few years ago, even the mega clubs are not looking to make those crazy signings in this climate.

TabClear

Quote from: pbat on January 25, 2021, 03:30:48 PM

He is playing well now but if I was a player's manager and i thought that was the case i'd get him out to $%£. A player who only puts in the effort when it suits him is a liability long term and that's before the circus that comes with Pogba!

nrico2006

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 26, 2021, 12:52:56 PM
Pogba has always shown he possesses top qualities as a footballer. What Utd fans are seeing now is nothing new. From a neutral point of view who doesn't watch every Utd game, he has produced in spurts in the past. Two years ago when OGS first arrived Utd went into championship winning form for a good 15 odd games. Pogba played a big part and think he finished season top scorer. Problem is he will switch off for 1/3 of the season. So do you stick or twist? Before it was a huge problem as he was the main man but now Fernandes has shown up and is the consistent leader, Pogba is a luxury (albeit a very expensive luxury) that looks more affordable. Whether it is wise to hold onto him is a decision they will have to make soon. My inkling would be to get rid if the money is right but wouldn't surprise me to see him stay on for another huge contract.

I think getting rid of Pogba and another shrewd signing in MF could be the making of the team. I never bought into the complete rebuild talk about Utd. A few tweaks here and there have been transformational for them. Fernandes is the big one. His quality, experience and standards he sets and expects I would imagine have been hugely beneficial to the younger players. A more settled defence ( I suppose not having to play Phil Jones will settle any defence), GK showing better form again and the signing of Cavani (again his experience and professionalism will benefit younger lads both on and off the field) have got Utd looking like contenders.
If it lasts or if history will repeat itself is hard to say. Injuries will have a big say and I don't trust OGS as a crisis manager but I think they will stay in the race this season. Whether they are champions come summer is another story but I think the next transfer window for them is huge, Pogba being the biggest decision.

Pogba wasn't anything special in that initial run under Solskjaer really, he finished top scorer due to netting a rake of penalties.  Has had very few excellent periods in his time at United, I would sell him in a heartbeat, along with Martial.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

I'll be very surprised if Pogba doesn't leave on a free, another huge payday for him and his cretin of an agent. He wants to go Real Madrid and their skint and with less than 18 months left on his contract it looks like there's a strong chance it will happen.

Woodward will have nobody to blame but himself, it was clear back in 2018 he'd become a huge problem and should have been moved on then but instead he'll leave United on a free for the 2nd time in his career.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2021, 09:50:29 PM
Dreadful

Awful. So flat. Never looked like winning showing no urgency. Rashford and Martial have zero form the last while.

BennyCake

I never thought United would go and win the PL, but it was fun being up there. City are starting to come into form now, so the title is theirs I think.