Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

No hiding from that performance it was rank.

You could go through the whole team and pick fault with every single one of them. We all know that DeGea was fouled for the first goal it is obvious for anyone to see, Sharp not looking at the ball shoves the keeper out from below his jump. Clever play but a foul all day long, not even a debate about it.

That being said there was no response in the team after it really, no kick into life.

I think it has got to the stage were he cant play Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all together, not one of them wants to hold the ball up and let the team get up the pitch. All 3 continually giving the ball away and even against poor opposition this kills the momentum of the team.

Have said it and will say it again AWB is not good enough going forward, how many possessions did he have last night? Yes he can defend but was there any threat coming down his side worth defending?

Don't think anyone was on here crowing that United were going to win the league as those of us who watch them closely realise this type of performance is in them. It is funny though to see the scousers losing their sh*t over a united result again, it kind of like they are scared of becoming a one title wonder like Leicester  ;D

Cunny Funt

Quote from: gallsman on January 28, 2021, 07:34:07 AM

There was a world of difference - that's not a matter of opinion, you just have to use your eyes. Sharp was behind de Gea as they both ran in the direction of the goal. Maguire was in front of the SU keeper and backing in (again, he was genuinely trying to win the ball) to the on-rushing keeper coming out to meet it. How are they the same thing??

The matter of opinion is in regards to this so called expert official on BT Sports. No nudge on DeGea and he may have fisted the ball away, Sharp knew what he was doing in that incident. The Sheff Utd keeper made an error and got away with it and the ref blew too early on it also.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 28, 2021, 03:28:51 AM
It actually is. Liverpool’s run lasted almost 4 years, whereas you got embarrassed by not only the worst team in the league but one of the worst teams in PL history.

A run that nobody expected Burnley to end and their odds to win was longer than Sheff Utd winning in Old Trafford. 

United losing matches they were expected to win is nothing new in recent seasons. Same in the Champions league this season, capable of beating PSG away only to lose afterwards to Basaksehir which proved to be a very damaging defeat. How damaging yesterdays defeat will be in the effort to finish in the top 4 remains to be seen.

laoislad

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 28, 2021, 08:21:18 AM

There was a world of difference - that's not a matter of opinion, you just have to use your eyes. Sharp was behind de Gea as they both ran in the direction of the goal. Maguire was in front of the SU keeper and backing in (again, he was genuinely trying to win the ball) to the on-rushing keeper coming out to meet it. How are they the same thing??

The matter of opinion is in regards to this so called expert official on BT Sports. No nudge on DeGea and he may have fisted the ball away, Sharp knew what he was doing in that incident. The Sheff Utd keeper made an error and got away with it and the ref blew too early on it also.

After watching it this morning I don't think either incident was really a foul. Though it is interesting that you thought it wasn't a foul by Maguire, but in an identical situation last season between VVD and DeGea you did think it was a foul.

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 19, 2020, 05:25:18 PM
United started off all right and then conceded a goal from yet another lapse in concentration on a set piece. Correct call to disallow that 2nd goal as DeGea was fouled. United have probably missed their best chance of scoring with Pereira missing that sitter. I'd still be surprised if this game doesn't finish in a 2 or 3-0 defeat.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: NAG1 on January 28, 2021, 08:11:55 AM
No hiding from that performance it was rank.

You could go through the whole team and pick fault with every single one of them. We all know that DeGea was fouled for the first goal it is obvious for anyone to see, Sharp not looking at the ball shoves the keeper out from below his jump. Clever play but a foul all day long, not even a debate about it.

That being said there was no response in the team after it really, no kick into life.

I think it has got to the stage were he cant play Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all together, not one of them wants to hold the ball up and let the team get up the pitch. All 3 continually giving the ball away and even against poor opposition this kills the momentum of the team.

Have said it and will say it again AWB is not good enough going forward, how many possessions did he have last night? Yes he can defend but was there any threat coming down his side worth defending?

Don't think anyone was on here crowing that United were going to win the league as those of us who watch them closely realise this type of performance is in them. It is funny though to see the scousers losing their sh*t over a united result again, it kind of like they are scared of becoming a one title wonder like Leicester  ;D

De Gea is shite at that part of his game no doubt but he has had a few decisions like that go against him, like Everton last season. It's nearly the ref making his mind up that he wouldn't of got it anyway. I thought both goals should of stood. For the 2nd goal why didn't he put it into the top tier? About 5 players could of sorted that one out but no one stepped up.

As disappointed as I was last night, that performance has been coming. I'd hope it's a kick in the arse before the weekend but I'm not convinced

Jeepers Creepers

The defending for the second goal was 'dads armyesque' so slap it up them. Utd wont win anthing playing like that and it will happen again. Martial cannot start a league again unless injuries forces is hand.

Maroon Manc

That result has been coming, we've not been blowing teams away; I mentioned a while ago that United need to play and defend better if the run was to continue.

Hard to single anyone out as they were all that bad including the ref but the Martial & Matic were the two I thought should have been hooked at half time, don't know whats going on with Martial as he's been so poor compared to the 2nd half of last season.

Just hoping United can bounce back and put a run together and hit that 80 points total but I have my doubts, a decent run in Europe will certainly put pay to United achieving that points total. United just not good enough to coast through games like a top team can and don't have the level of quality in depth to make plenty of changes and get away with it especially when one of the forwards isn't contributing at all.

Ole needs to be backed for this team to go the next level.

BennyCake

Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 28, 2021, 07:41:12 AM
DDG was pushed in the back as he jumped, Maguire and the Sheffield keeper challenged for the ball and Maguire had eyes on the ball the whole time. Either both were fouls or neither were (and if one was a foul, it wasn't Maguire). I'd say if the ref had blown his whistle a few seconds later, the goal would have stood via VAR.

United were awful anyway. No RW was shown up again, and Martial was useless. I don't think any United fan expected to win the title, but to have the first hole put into the ship by Sheffield United is frustrating.

There was a slight nudge, but he wasn't getting to that ball anyway because his positioning and attacking of the ball was all wrong. De Gea has poor command of his penalty area, and is too easily nudged aside. Any keeper worth his salt would have cleaned a couple of players coming for that ball.

Maguire's challenge wasn't a foul. Goal should have stood, but some you win some you lose.

NAG1

Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2021, 02:10:46 PM
DDG was pushed in the back as he jumped, Maguire and the Sheffield keeper challenged for the ball and Maguire had eyes on the ball the whole time. Either both were fouls or neither were (and if one was a foul, it wasn't Maguire). I'd say if the ref had blown his whistle a few seconds later, the goal would have stood via VAR.

United were awful anyway. No RW was shown up again, and Martial was useless. I don't think any United fan expected to win the title, but to have the first hole put into the ship by Sheffield United is frustrating.

There was a slight nudge, but he wasn't getting to that ball anyway because his positioning and attacking of the ball was all wrong. De Gea has poor command of his penalty area, and is too easily nudged aside. Any keeper worth his salt would have cleaned a couple of players coming for that ball.

Maguire's challenge wasn't a foul. Goal should have stood, but some you win some you lose.

If you look at the shove he is taken out before he can even get properly off the ground.

Yes he can command his box better but you can't blame him this time when he is subject to a shove before he can make a challenge on the ball.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: laoislad on January 28, 2021, 08:49:30 AM
After watching it this morning I don't think either incident was really a foul. Though it is interesting that you thought it wasn't a foul by Maguire, but in an identical situation last season between VVD and DeGea you did think it was a foul.

Simliar not identical, the main difference Van Dijk challenge caused DeGea who had his hands on the ball to fumble, the Sheff Utd keeper let the ball through his hands. That incident last night never got the opportunity to be reviewed by VAR as the ref had blown the whistle before Martial hit the net.

There was a slight nudge, but he wasn't getting to that ball anyway because his positioning and attacking of the ball was all wrong.

Debatable. I think he would have got his fist to the ball without the nudge

Link

Short memories from the United fans and Ole.

Just over a year ago united players rushed to referee Craig Pawson at Anfield after Firmino had put the ball in the net. Moments before De Gea had spilled the ball due to a VVD challenge that was very similar to Maguire's last night. I'm sure some of you argued tooth and nail that DDG was impeded unfairly at the time.

Also, watch the Sharpe incident again. Check the push from Matic and the holding by Maguire on Jagielka. Penalty Sheffield United?

Link

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 28, 2021, 08:21:18 AM

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 19, 2020, 05:25:18 PM
United started off all right and then conceded a goal from yet another lapse in concentration on a set piece. Correct call to disallow that 2nd goal as DeGea was fouled.  United have probably missed their best chance of scoring with Pereira missing that sitter. I'd still be surprised if this game doesn't finish in a 2 or 3-0 defeat.

Have your cake and eat it comes to mind.

Boycey

The amount of energy wasted debating these things never ceases to amaze me, it's over, done move on to fcuk... Ultimately United got what they deserved....

BennyCake

Quote from: NAG1 on January 28, 2021, 03:25:06 PM

If you look at the shove he is taken out before he can even get properly off the ground.

Yes he can command his box better but you can't blame him this time when he is subject to a shove before he can make a challenge on the ball.

Yes, I can. He actually mid-times his jump because he slightly shoves the SU player, which leads him to arrive late. Keown said it right, DDG needs to be more physical in that situation.

He's been at United nearly 10 years, and there's so many parts of his game that haven't improved one bit.

laoislad

Quote from: Boycey on January 28, 2021, 04:35:50 PM
The amount of energy wasted debating these things never ceases to amaze me, it's over, done move on to fcuk...
You're always coming into football threads posting shite like this.
How about you f**k off and let  lads discuss what they want, who the f**k are you to be telling anyone what they should and shouldn't be discussing.

laoislad

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 28, 2021, 03:30:43 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 28, 2021, 08:49:30 AM

Simliar not identical, the main difference Van Dijk challenge caused DeGea who had his hands on the ball to fumble, the Sheff Utd keeper let the ball through his hands. That incident last night never got the opportunity to be reviewed by VAR as the ref had blown the whistle before Martial hit the net.

There was a slight nudge, but he wasn't getting to that ball anyway because his positioning and attacking of the ball was all wrong.

Debatable. I think he would have got his fist to the ball without the nudge

Stop embarrassing yourself and take off your United tinted glasses.
Neither of them were fouls ffs. VVD didn't foul DeGea last season and I didn't think Maguire fouled the keeper last night, or not enough for the goal to be disallowed anyway.The Sheffield United goal wasn't a foul either.