Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

The reason the vaccination prioritisation was changed is based on medical science. They want to vaccinate people based on risk and age is the biggest risk factor for covid. That's a fair and reasonable process for everyone.

Teachers seem to think they're better than that and medical science should be ignored. I haven't seen any medical evidence why teachers should be prioritized.

JimStynes

The South better get their house in order before this United Ireland craic happens.

Angelo

Let's just call it what it is.

It's teachers wanting to be vaccinated for their summer holidays. There is the prospect of vaccine passports and people having their freedoms to go places and do things they could not do without being vaccinated and teachers are conscious they will soon be on a 2/3 month break and want to be able to do that.

It's another example of teachers using a public crisis to hold the govt to ransom and try and strongarm them into getting their demands. It's cynical and calculated and once again shows teachers up for the self-entitled grouping they are.

You don't see factory workers, police officers, carers, creche and nursery workers, bus drivers etc all threatening strike over this but teachers will and they only have a couple of months of half days left.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 09:32:14 AM

It's teachers wanting to be vaccinated for their summer holidays. There is the prospect of vaccine passports and people having their freedoms to go places and do things they could not do without being vaccinated and teachers are conscious they will soon be on a 2/3 month break and want to be able to do that.

It's another example of teachers using a public crisis to hold the govt to ransom and try and strongarm them into getting their demands. It's cynical and calculated and once again shows teachers up for the self-entitled grouping they are.

You don't see factory workers, police officers, carers, creche and nursery workers, bus drivers etc all threatening strike over this but teachers will and they only have a couple of months of half days left.
I thought foreign holidays were banned this summer?

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on April 07, 2021, 01:57:35 PM

I thought foreign holidays were banned this summer?

Who knows. The EU are wanting to bring in a vaccine passport.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JimStynes

A lot of the teachers in our school have already been vaccinated. The South of Ireland is a mess. Boris has us well looked after up here.

ONeill

Quote from: Substandard on April 07, 2021, 12:03:21 AM
Overpaid, lazy, selfish, holidays, afraid to work, wouldn't know a day's work if it headbutted them,

Aye I ticked all these qualities in careers class in 1991 and it told me to be a teacher. Spot on to be fair.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

Quote from: Substandard on April 07, 2021, 12:03:21 AM
I'm a teacher.  I would be totally against any form of industrial action now, and I'd bet the vast majority of my colleagues would be the same.
It's yet another PR disasterclass from the unions banging this particular drum.  Create an avenue towards a priority vaccine for at-risk teachers, fair enough,  but the majority just want to get back to doing the job in as normal a fashion as possible.

Teacher bashing is a convenient storyline for the press to field- just throw out the headline,  and let social media do the rest.  Overpaid, lazy, selfish, holidays, afraid to work, wouldn't know a day's work if it headbutted them, retail workers, doctors, nurses, etc, etc. 
Just what is it people want from teachers, that teachers aren't delivering?  With the amount of expert opinion you come across reading comments on an IT article, homeschooling must be the way forward,  because it's blatantly obvious that teachers either can't or won't or don't want to do the job.

If balloted on industrial action, I'll be voting no.  Not because I'm heroic,  or virtue signalling, or whatever.  It doesn't matter anyway, because I'll be accused either way.  And if it comes up with someone I know- someone who maybe hit a home run on facebook with a vitriolic post, or someone who wades in in the comments section, I get the classic backtrack- not all teachers, sure the school is doing everything it can, etc, etc. 
Yeah, me bollix. 
You know the bit that amuses me most, very often these are the very people that'll bang a drum about mental health,  and the impact the covid restrictions will have on mental health and mental health services.  But if it's a teacher's mental health, pity about them- see above,  lazy, holidays, etc, etc.

The teacher bashing narrative then redirects to the impact the greedy, selfish,  lazy teachers' actions and demands will have on pupils.  Primary school is formative, I teach secondary,  so I see adolescence unfold.  Yes, I would be acutely aware of the stress and toll on the mental health of those either sitting in front of me, or logging in for remote learning.  I also see the impact of those with little or no engagement.  I know those that will catch up, and those that will struggle.  I'll do my best, but it won't be good enough,  because I'm lazy, selfish,  overpaid and only interested in the holidays.

When we came back in September, we were told to start softly,  softly, to get the students readjusted, to be mindful of their wellbeing and mental health,  and not to be causing stress.  It seems a lot of that has gone out the window lately.  I don't recall being told to reverse this, but it looks like it's my fault anyway,  because I'm a teacher.

Sorry...

What i want from teachers is to put some people with brains in charge of their unions and not the empty vessels you have representing YOU and your colleagues. You are allowing these people to represent you like this, maybe you and the many others like you should start kicking up a bit.

And by the way, teachers attempts to label every critique of their actions as teacher bashing is tiresome. Sure some teachers would claim you yourself would be a teacher basher based on your first paragraph.

FermGael

Happy last day of term day to all in the southern secondary sector.
Well deserved break after a long and taxing year

United Ireland now
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Milltown Row2

Nice pay back today! Enjoyed a nice dinner and few draught Guinness on the back of her hard work  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Ive heard the figure but have yet to reap any of the benefits...

Edit - my wifes not Milltowns 😉

JimStynes

Nice wee lift in the pay slip. Danger money for working through covid.

From the Bunker

Quote from: JimStynes on May 29, 2021, 07:13:45 AM

Yes, teachers were in a lot of danger from January to March.

NotedObserver

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2021, 01:10:36 PM

100% accurate plus many other months

FermGael

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2021, 01:10:36 PM

You have no idea.
Hero's one and all
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered