Who is the most famous person you’ve met?

Started by BennyCake, January 05, 2021, 06:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

I met Martin O'Neill at a funeral, very civil. Turns out he was in school with my mother.

I was once in the toilets before the beginning of a networking event that had a guest speaker lineup of Peter Canavan, Tommy Bowe and Michael O'Neill who was managing NI at the time.
Washing my hands this other fella was fixing his tie. We chatted a few mins, I asked him if he'd far to come and he said Scotland. I thought to myself he's keen for a wee event like this. It was only when they brought the guest speakers out that I realised I'd been speaking to Michael O'Neill. He must have thought I was a right clown...or that I was taking the piss.

I've met Brolly numerous times.

I met Martin McGuiness at a Fleadh in Maghera, had to be mid 90s.

I was on a flight from Spain and finished up standing beside Johnny Vegas at the baggage carousel. He seemed like a grumpy git.

I bumped into Andrea Corr after a free concert in Omagh years ago.

I met Paddy Kielty in a chinese in Botanic Avenue in Belfast back in the 90s just after The Empire comedy night. On the same night, I was standing beside one of the singers from atomic kitten in the Empire. Mind blown.

Pope.

general_lee

Gary Lineker. Frank Bruno at the airport. Paddy Barnes. Bumped into a few local tv ones out and about.

Tony Baloney

Met Lineker, briefly shared a taxi with Jimmy (now James Nesbitt) and a few others on the old thread. Since the old thread I can add Dennis Quaid as he was playing in a band in a pub I was drinking in in Montreal about 3 years ago. Strange man and not a powerful singer either but the pub was full of MILFs.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 06, 2021, 03:25:01 PM
I met Martin O'Neill at a funeral, very civil. Turns out he was in school with my mother.

I was once in the toilets before the beginning of a networking event that had a guest speaker lineup of Peter Canavan, Tommy Bowe and Michael O'Neill who was managing NI at the time.
Washing my hands this other fella was fixing his tie. We chatted a few mins, I asked him if he'd far to come and he said Scotland. I thought to myself he's keen for a wee event like this. It was only when they brought the guest speakers out that I realised I'd been speaking to Michael O'Neill. He must have thought I was a right clown...or that I was taking the piss.

I've met Brolly numerous times.

I met Martin McGuiness at a Fleadh in Maghera, had to be mid 90s.

I was on a flight from Spain and finished up standing beside Johnny Vegas at the baggage carousel. He seemed like a grumpy git.

I bumped into Andrea Corr after a free concert in Omagh years ago.

I met Paddy Kielty in a chinese in Botanic Avenue in Belfast back in the 90s just after The Empire comedy night. On the same night, I was standing beside one of the singers from atomic kitten in the Empire. Mind blown.

Pope.

I met McGuinness myself a few years before he got sick. Very civil fella. Met Gerry Adams a few years before that. Apparently that time he was arrested in 2014 he was sitting in jail reading a copy of my book that I'd given to McGuinness.

Also I once met Phil Liggett the cycling commentator and his mate Paul Sherwen who passed away a few years back. Great craic the pair of them. I got Liggett's autograph on my racing license and I told him I always remember his commentary at the 1987 Tour stage finish at La Plagne where Roche made his big epic comeback against Delgado. I told him Jimmy McGee somehow knew Roche was motoring and didn't sound at all surprised when Roche nearly caught Delgado on the line, but Liggett's commentary was far better because he didn't see it coming. I told him it was "the greatest commentary since the Hindenburg."

dublin7

A friend of mine is friends with Ian Rush and he came over to a Dublin v Mayo game a few years ago. He didn't say anything to us about it and we're sitting in Meaghers before the game when Ian Rush walks over sits down beside us with his minder. He was sound out and very down to earth.

Sat beside the former ref Pat McEneaney on a flight to London a few years ao as well. He was sound as well and chatted away for the flight.

Like several others I've met Brolly at a few functions and found him a gas character. Always cracking jokes and having a laugh

JoG2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 06, 2021, 06:50:54 PM
Met Lineker, briefly shared a taxi with Jimmy (now James Nesbitt) and a few others on the old thread. Since the old thread I can add Dennis Quainton as he was playing in a band in a pub I was drinking in in Montreal about 3 years ago. Strange man and not a powerful singer either but the pub was full of MILFs.

A genuine lol moment... Poetry

ONeill

Got a lift from Foster from Foster and Allen in Birmingham one night. Barry McGuigan and Brendan Shine were also in the motor.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JoG2 on January 06, 2021, 07:18:15 PM
Met Lineker, briefly shared a taxi with Jimmy (now James Nesbitt) and a few others on the old thread. Since the old thread I can add Dennis Quainton as he was playing in a band in a pub I was drinking in in Montreal about 3 years ago. Strange man and not a powerful singer either but the pub was full of MILFs.

Quaid. I dont know who Dennis Quainton is!

Main Street

I would like to put in a word for Phil Lynott. I traveled across  London to see the original 3 piece Thin Lizzy play a gig in front of 20 or so  people at Dagenham Roundhouse. The roadie recognized me from hanging about after gigs in some Irish ballrooms of dubious romance. He brought me around to the 'dressing room' to meet Phil. He was stoned, I was stoned. I had a joint going, we shared mouth fluids.  I was a juvenile and Phil was just perfect in the moment. Brian Downey gave a nod while banging away on some practice drum kit and Eric Bell was drunk, pissing into a sink in the corner and  was no way going to engage with a spotty fan from Ireland.
During the gig Phil dedicated a song to me,'Look what the wind just blew in'. 
The gig was brilliant, probably the best Lizzy gig i witnessed  outside the time when Gary Moore replaced Eric first time around.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 06, 2021, 10:04:44 PM

Quainton is a village in Buckinghamshire, I googled it, it isnot a surname.

ziggy90

Quote from: ONeill on January 06, 2021, 09:45:22 PM
Got a lift from Foster from Foster and Allen in Birmingham one night. Barry McGuigan and Brendan Shine were also in the motor.

Were they singing "The Woodlands Of Loughglynn?"
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on January 06, 2021, 09:45:22 PM

Have you been studying that Dreams/Reality diagram properly?

JoG2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 06, 2021, 10:04:44 PM

I thought it was some old groover from a rock band, regardless, comedy gold!

michaelg

Met Alain Robidoux in a kebab shop in Edinburgh

Harold Disgracey

I bumped into Johnny Adair in the toilets at Portadown train station.