The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: lurganblue on November 30, 2020, 01:12:15 PM
This is a thread I would have ignored as I thought whiskey wasn't for me.  Over the last few months I have started trying to learn a bit about the different types and begun trying to see if I could grow to like at least some of them.  I really like the idea of sipping on a neat glass of whiskey of a winter's evening.  I don't feel I am quite there yet.  I started with the Jamesons with a little ginger, and then progressed to adding a little water instead.  I like Guinness so have the Jameson's stout edition a rattle.  Prefer the original.

Currently working through a bottle of Powers, which seems to be similar to Jamesons in ways.  Would I find that to be the case too with Paddys, Tullamore dew etc?

I see a lot of talk about Green spot and redbreast.  I might try on one of these as a treat over Christmas but I have a feeling they may be wasted on me.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

Tullamore Dew would be a little different to the other "standard" Irish whiskeys and worth trying for a similar price imo.

If you're looking for something a bit different, I'd second what Hound said and try Connemara, it's €40 down here, not sure about up north. If you like that, then Laphroaig, Talisker and Ardbeg are worth a taste.

You should be able to pick up good whiskey on amazon for cheapish if you keep an eye out - Redbreast 12 for £38 or so would be good value, green spot for around £35, Balvenie 12 for around £40 would probably be my top 3 recommendations there.

general_lee

Not a huge whiskey fan myself but Red Bush is always a good one to start on. Relatively new but it would be a good introductory whiskey. Particularly for the JD drinkers as that is who it is aimed at

lurganblue

Quote from: general_lee on December 01, 2020, 02:17:55 PM
Not a huge whiskey fan myself but Red Bush is always a good one to start on. Relatively new but it would be a good introductory whiskey. Particularly for the JD drinkers as that is who it is aimed at

Never was a JD drinker.  Mixing any drinks with Coca Cola was always a no from me.  Bourbons neat is also something I would like to try but I believe JD should be disregarded? Makers Mark maybe...

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 30, 2020, 03:16:05 PM
This is a thread I would have ignored as I thought whiskey wasn't for me.  Over the last few months I have started trying to learn a bit about the different types and begun trying to see if I could grow to like at least some of them.  I really like the idea of sipping on a neat glass of whiskey of a winter's evening.  I don't feel I am quite there yet.  I started with the Jamesons with a little ginger, and then progressed to adding a little water instead.  I like Guinness so have the Jameson's stout edition a rattle.  Prefer the original.

Currently working through a bottle of Powers, which seems to be similar to Jamesons in ways.  Would I find that to be the case too with Paddys, Tullamore dew etc?

I see a lot of talk about Green spot and redbreast.  I might try on one of these as a treat over Christmas but I have a feeling they may be wasted on me.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

Tullamore Dew would be a little different to the other "standard" Irish whiskeys and worth trying for a similar price imo.

If you're looking for something a bit different, I'd second what Hound said and try Connemara, it's €40 down here, not sure about up north. If you like that, then Laphroaig, Talisker and Ardbeg are worth a taste.

You should be able to pick up good whiskey on amazon for cheapish if you keep an eye out - Redbreast 12 for £38 or so would be good value, green spot for around £35, Balvenie 12 for around £40 would probably be my top 3 recommendations there.

I certainly will try out the Connemara.

gallsman

If you like the Connemara, I wouldn't rush to Laphroaig or Ardbeg right away if you want to explore Islay whisky. Lagavullin a softer, smoother introduction to it and, for me, the best of the three of them.

At home, I would always recommend that anyone who likes Irish whiskey tries Green Spot. It's simply a phenomenal whiskey. Prefer it to RB12 and think it's much better value than Yellow or Red Spot. They've only recently reintroduced Blue Spot, which is now a 7 year old. If you fancy splashing out at Christmas RB12 Cask Strength is magnificent.

Decod89

I'm a big fan of Jameson Gold Reserve. Very sweet and smooth.
Like to try and always have a bottle in the house. I don't think any new bottles of it are being produced so if you do find one you're in luck.

Redbreast 12 is an excellent tipple in front of the fire. A few of the Scottish ones that I prefer are Jura Superstition and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

weareros

Quote from: gallsman on December 01, 2020, 03:01:54 PM
If you like the Connemara, I wouldn't rush to Laphroaig or Ardbeg right away if you want to explore Islay whisky. Lagavullin a softer, smoother introduction to it and, for me, the best of the three of them.

While I found that "Hospital on Fire" taste of Laphroaig difficult to handle, recently tried "Ardbeg Uigeadail" and found it a more enjoyable version of the medicinal peaty island Scotch. Had a sore throat and it burned it away, too. Have a bottle of Connemara to try over Christmas. Will be curious to see how an Irish peat whiskey stacks up against the famed Islay stuff.

Rudi

Jameson for me as the mainstay. Tried Middleton rare about 10 years back, seriously beautiful but incredibly pricey.
The American ones Wild Turkey is ok, visited the JD distillery in Tennessee, very old style small town America type place, looked forward to the tasting at the end, turned out the distillery is based in a dry county, had to settle for lemonade.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Hound on November 30, 2020, 02:38:29 PM

I like both of those. I tried both the dearer versions too (yellow spot and RB15) but to be honest I preferred Green and RB12.

A few years ago I got a bottle of Connemara, which is an unusual enough Irish as it has a peated taste. I was very unsure of it initially, but by the end of the bottle I was really enjoying it and then later discovered Scotch from Islay which is much stronger peated. Real medicinal! I adore the stuff now and it's pretty much the only type of whisky I drink  - especially on a winter evening!
I prefer Green Spot to the more expensive Yellow spot as well.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tyroneman

Branched out a little over the past year and can recommend both Glenfiddich IPA and Caol Ila 12 - both wildly different, but tasty

illdecide

Got a bottle of Redbreast 12 Year Old whiskey from the contractor for Christmas. TBH never even heard of it but google tells me it's half decent. Don't and never will drink whiskey
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Snapchap

Quote from: illdecide on December 14, 2020, 11:21:19 AM
Got a bottle of Redbreast 12 Year Old whiskey from the contractor for Christmas. TBH never even heard of it but google tells me it's half decent. Don't and never will drink whiskey

Well if you need someone to take it off your hands....  ;D

gallsman

A few barracks of White Lightning is all anyone needs down your way. (The bucky is too expensive these days)

illdecide

Quote from: gallsman on December 14, 2020, 12:44:03 PM

A few barracks of White Lightning is all anyone needs down your way. (The bucky is too expensive these days)

There are a few sophisticated Lurgan ones too ya know (about 5). Just a plain lager man myself with the odd craving for stout
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rudi

Probably not the thread, tried Poitin one Christmas with the father in law. Quare stuff, drinking straight whiskey after was like drinking milk. Harsh stuff.

ziggy90

Quote from: Rudi on December 14, 2020, 02:15:14 PM
Probably not the thread, tried Poitin one Christmas with the father in law. Quare stuff, drinking straight whiskey after was like drinking milk. Harsh stuff.

I always have a bottle in the house. For medicinal purposes you understand.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered