Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Paul Madeley, Leeds United legend aged 73.
RIP.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ziggy90 on July 24, 2018, 06:34:20 AM
Paul Madeley, Leeds United legend aged 73.
RIP.

One of the greats from the Revie era and possibly the most underrated as well, due to his versatility.

May He Rest In Peace.

Billys Boots

Played in every outfield position for Leeds, as I recall.  RIP.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AQMP

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 24, 2018, 09:26:14 AM
Played in every outfield position for Leeds, as I recall.  RIP.

He played centre-forward in the 1968 League Cup Final and left back in the 1972 FA Cup Final.  Famously turned down a place in the England squad for the 1970 World Cup saying he wanted a rest and didn't want to go to Mexico if he wouldn't get a game (Mexico was very far away in 1970!). RIP

Keyser soze

Was it him who suffered a broken arm in a cup final v Chelsea...197?

AQMP

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 24, 2018, 10:28:05 AM

No, if memory serves me right that was Mick Jones in 1970.  I remember that because of the WC, the Cup Final was brought forward to mid April.  The Horse of the Year Show had been on at Wembley the week before and the pitch was like a ploughed field!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2018, 10:58:43 AM

No, if memory serves me right that was Mick Jones in 1970.  I remember that because of the WC, the Cup Final was brought forward to mid April.  The Horse of the Year Show had been on at Wembley the week before and the pitch was like a ploughed field!

I'm nearly sure it was the 1972 FA Cup Final. He damaged it crossing the ball in for Clarke's diving header. Think he might have collided with a photographer. Had to be helped up to collect his winner's medal.

AQMP

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 24, 2018, 11:05:03 AM
Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2018, 10:58:43 AM

I'm nearly sure it was the 1972 FA Cup Final. He damaged it crossing the ball in for Clarke's diving header. Think he might have collided with a photographer. Had to be helped up to collect his winner's medal.

My head's going.  You're right, that happened in the 1972 Cup Final v Arsenal though the match report says Jones' injury happened in the last minute.

Mourne Rover

Leeds won the FA Cup on the Saturday and only needed a point from their final league match away to Wolves to clinch the championship and complete the double. However, the FA forced Leeds to play the league fixture 48 hours after the cup final and, exhausted, they lost 2-1. It could not have happened today and would probably have ended up in the High Court if it had even been suggested. There were many other hard luck stories associated with the Leeds team of the era, but Madeley was one of the players who simply got on with his job and turned out wherever and whenever he was needed. He was of international class in practically every position and it is difficult to remember him ever having a poor game. They simply don't make them like him any more.

Denn Forever

Who was it that called him the Rolls Royce of footballers?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggy90

I think it was Don Revie.
Can someone explain to me how as a Birmingham fan I can still name that Leeds team of fifty years ago and can't name my own team this year?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 24, 2018, 11:51:05 AM
Leeds won the FA Cup on the Saturday and only needed a point from their final league match away to Wolves to clinch the championship and complete the double. However, the FA forced Leeds to play the league fixture 48 hours after the cup final and, exhausted, they lost 2-1. It could not have happened today and would probably have ended up in the High Court if it had even been suggested. There were many other hard luck stories associated with the Leeds team of the era, but Madeley was one of the players who simply got on with his job and turned out wherever and whenever he was needed. He was of international class in practically every position and it is difficult to remember him ever having a poor game. They simply don't make them like him any more.

Don't get me f*cking started.   >:(
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyHarp

A story by Jimmy Armfield on contract negotiations with Paul Madeley. Hard to imagine a player with this attitude nowadays.

"I called him in to discuss terms and opened discussions by saying, 'Okay Paul, we'll give you so much'.

"He replied that he had no intention of leaving Leeds so he might as well sign the contract and let me fill in the details.

"I said 'What do you want, then, two years or three years?'. He answered 'Either way, I'll leave it to you. I just want to play for Leeds', and that was that."
That was never a square ball!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 24, 2018, 01:21:21 PM

100% correct! Would still get angry about all of that.   >:(

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 24, 2018, 01:21:21 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Careful now