Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

James Horan was asked on Sunday what was the chances of D O'Connor,M Ruane and P Durcan returning for this Donegal game?

His answer was, its tight but its looking positive, a lot can happen in two weeks.

Aaron Boone

MayoBuck

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 23, 2019, 10:58:45 PM
James Horan was asked on Sunday what was the chances of D O'Connor,M Ruane and P Durcan returning for this Donegal game?

His answer was, its tight but its looking positive, a lot can happen in two weeks.

I'd say Higgins and Durcan will come straight back into the team. Unless their injuries are worse than reported.
Don't see the other 2 starting but Diarmuid might make the bench.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 23, 2019, 10:41:02 PM
How long would it usually take to fully heal though? I had thought it was 4-8 weeks

Ruane was out on the pitch before the Meath game catching and kicking the ball around but I doubt he's allowed near contact for another while.

inthrough

I never like to see players being brought back before they asre 100% ready. Not alone do you have to fully heal but you then need to get fully up to speed after a lengthy layoff, especially at this level.

In my experience it never ends well

trileacman

Quote from: larryin89 on July 23, 2019, 09:53:11 PM
Quote from: trileacman on July 23, 2019, 08:45:14 PM
Wouldn't like to be Donegal going in to this but the incentive of losing out on a SF spot like last year should see them over the line. An uninjured Mayo v Donegal would be very interesting and I'd think Mayo would win in such a scenario but alas those key Mayo players won't be back.

Clarke/Mayo have been found out on their kick-outs and they really need to do something drastic in the next 2 weeks to get their restarts fixed. For all the "messiah" talk I heard around Horan in the run-up to his appointment I'm sorely disappointed since. I certainly couldn't see Jimmy McG be so oblivious to the major problem that is the Mayo restarts.

I see there is a problem with our kickout strategy, but it's not all down to keeper , lack of options has to be factored in also . Losing ruane was massive this year he was the find of the last two years and was working well with aido .

Agreed but your keeper is still a good 50% factor in kickout strategy so he shoulders more of the blame proportionally.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

inthrough

Quote from: trileacman on July 23, 2019, 11:31:54 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 23, 2019, 09:53:11 PM
Wouldn't like to be Donegal going in to this but the incentive of losing out on a SF spot like last year should see them over the line. An uninjured Mayo v Donegal would be very interesting and I'd think Mayo would win in such a scenario but alas those key Mayo players won't be back.

Clarke/Mayo have been found out on their kick-outs and they really need to do something drastic in the next 2 weeks to get their restarts fixed. For all the "messiah" talk I heard around Horan in the run-up to his appointment I'm sorely disappointed since. I certainly couldn't see Jimmy McG be so oblivious to the major problem that is the Mayo restarts.
If you haven'yt got a good kickout strategy these days then you are toast.

I see there is a problem with our kickout strategy, but it's not all down to keeper , lack of options has to be factored in also . Losing ruane was massive this year he was the find of the last two years and was working well with aido .

Agreed but your keeper is still a good 50% factor in kickout strategy so he shoulders more of the blame proportionally.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2019, 06:16:25 PM
Ballagh left the darkness and came into the light in 1898.
Unfortunately their GAA club still refuses to come out of the cave.

Time for Ros to stop worrying about Ballagh and concentrate on winning a game as Connacht champions that matters for the first time in 40 years!  ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 23, 2019, 10:02:17 PM

When it comes to injuries Donegal could be most hit for this game. Ban Gallagher out long term, Paddy McGrath, Neil McGee ruled out last Sunday, Jason McGee, Hugh McFadden went off injured v kerry on Sunday and McBrearty doubtful after a hamstring strain.

Con telegraph who are normally very accurate has stated that Keith Higgins, Diarmuid O'Connor, Matthew Ruane and Paddy Durcan will be in contention to return to action for this game.
Other than getting correct team few weeks ago they are shocking for nearly everything they do.

giveherlong

Anybody post up Dara O'Se piece in today's IT. Subscriber only

Ballaghman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2019, 09:20:13 AM

Time for Ros to stop worrying about Ballagh and concentrate on winning a game as Connacht champions that matters for the first time in 40 years!  ;)

Like talking to children about it Farr. There's a lad on here called giveballaghback. Rossfan has just shown the irony of his name. Ballagh should indeed be given back....... to Mayo. Anyway for the 1000th time this has been brought up, debating it here won't change it. We're in Mayo for football thank feck!
Great to still have our hopes alive going into the last round. I'd have taken that after the no show in Kerry. Good to see Tommy Conroy called in to train with the squad. He obviously won't play this year but Horan is planning for the future which is vital if we're to be competitive for years to come.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2019, 09:20:13 AM

Arrah, they'd give you a pain where your back loses its polite name!
Them sheep shaggers had the Ballagh GAA club for the taking and they turned it down.
Back when the county boundaries changed, the Faugh a Ballaghs club offered to amalgamate with the Ross county board and because they were too good for the local yokels, they were told to frig off back to Mayo.
They did just that and said they'd stay where they were until the sheepohiles just manners and apologised. Obviously, that's unlikely happen so Ballagh is where it belongs and proper order too.
BTW, giveballlaghback me arse! How can anyone give back where they never took?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cunny Funt

Quote from: fearsiuil on July 24, 2019, 09:22:12 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 23, 2019, 10:02:17 PM

When it comes to injuries Donegal could be most hit for this game. Ban Gallagher out long term, Paddy McGrath, Neil McGee ruled out last Sunday, Jason McGee, Hugh McFadden went off injured v kerry on Sunday and McBrearty doubtful after a hamstring strain.

Con telegraph who are normally very accurate has stated that Keith Higgins, Diarmuid O'Connor, Matthew Ruane and Paddy Durcan will be in contention to return to action for this game.
Other than getting correct team few weeks ago they are shocking for nearly everything they do.

With all the news they leak out they seem to have sources close to the panel. Weren't they first on the Connelly and Holmes heave news?

Fuzzman

Will be in Westport the weekend of this match with a few mates
Would it be hard to get tickets would you say? I see they're sold out on gaa.tickets.ie at the moment.

Have never been to any neutral game outside Croker I think.

Tubberman

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 24, 2019, 02:06:16 PM
Will be in Westport the weekend of this match with a few mates
Would it be hard to get tickets would you say? I see they're sold out on gaa.tickets.ie at the moment.

Have never been to any neutral game outside Croker I think.

Capacity seems to be capped at 25k for this (presumably H&S bullshit) so could be tough enough to get tickets.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."