If it's not about the money then why are Dublin so far ahead?

Started by highorlow, July 17, 2016, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 18, 2016, 09:15:04 PM
Lacey is a pension's advisor. Karl got a job in the school in Rathangan, he's teaching in Confey now. Murphy worked for Dawn Meats in Naas. Divilly was working for the MCR Group. Johnston was just minding the apartment!

;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

SkillfulBill

Load of crap. The Dubs are miles ahead of the rest of Leinster yes because the rest of Leinster are pure muck at the moment just look at how many Leinster teams are in Div 1 or have been in Div 1 over the last 10 years. Any one of Kerry, Mayo, Donegal or Tyrone are well capable of beating them and for them to win the All Ireland this year they will most likely have to beat 3 out of these 4 interesting championship coming up.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 18, 2016, 09:15:04 PM
Lacey is a pension's advisor. Karl got a job in the school in Rathangan, he's teaching in Confey now. Murphy worked for Dawn Meats in Naas. Divilly was working for the MCR Group. Johnston was just minding the apartment!
Forgetting time spent honing his skills for a hurling career.

ashman

Dublin have massive advantages nowadays and those the GAA can't control are going to increase . The advantages are as follows as I see it ;

1 ; population
2 : increasing urbanisation of Ireland
3 :  GAA funding
4 :  massive clubs with real chance every year of club all Ireland .
5 ; DCU facilities and National aquatic centre
6 : huge sponsorship
7 ;  players all living in county .
8. ; croke park

INDIANA

Quote from: blast05 on July 18, 2016, 12:06:56 AM
This discussion about players jobs reminds me of last years semi ....

On the Monday after the draw, Dublin team went to the National Aquatic session for a recovery session followed by team meeting, etc.

Meanwhile, Colm Boyle had to get up early and drive to Clifden to work .. .Clifden FFS.

I recall Alan Brogan commenting in his article in Sunday Indo a couple of weeks back about the replay and how Boyler seemed to have nothing left to give with 15-20 minutes to go cos he didn't react when Brogan went in on him with a heavy tackle... which as Brogan said was very very unlike Boyler.

Having to work for a living between draw and replay was i'm sure a major factor in that non reaction Alan.

Of course i could also mention having to spend 8 hours in a car or bus (in the 6 day turnaround between draw and replay) travelling back home to Mayo and then up to Dublin again along with disrupted sleeping patterns on the Friday night wasn't a help..... but sure thats just life and won't change
Point is though if Dublin had had to do that (with say both games having been in Castlebar) then i am certain there would have been a fleet of helicopters at the ready for first 25 players ... something no other county team could have afforded

They are deducted annual leave days. Just because Com Boyle was unable to organise his holidays better isn't Dublin's fault.

I would suggest he didn't because he never thought they'd beat Dublin anyway. Brogan was planning for the AI Final assuming Dublin would win.

Dublin players have normal jobs like anyone else. Employers do not give a shite about county football anymore. In fact they'd probably not give you the job if you told them you play inter county football

AZOffaly

The jobs thing is a complete red herring. How many county players down the years have worked in banks? A lot of them couldn't decking count!

It is good for Dublin that their players can all stay in Dublin career wise, but that's hardly something that can be said to be their fault!

blast05

A few years back (about 5 years ago as far as i am aware) a decision was taken to move away from random selection of dressing rooms #1 and #2 in the Hogan Stand and instead the allocation was based on the the team who came first in the alphabet (as Gaeilge) - that team would get dressing room number 1. So for Baile Atha Cliath, they would only NOT get dressing room #1 if they were playing Aontroim or Ard Mhacha.

Effectively a home dressing room for the the Dubs

Tis hard not to be cyncial by times  ::)

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 18, 2016, 10:29:19 PM
The jobs thing is a complete red herring. How many county players down the years have worked in banks? A lot of them couldn't decking count!

It is good for Dublin that their players can all stay in Dublin career wise, but that's hardly something that can be said to be their fault!

It's definitely an advantage for our lads to work and live in Dublin. But they do work for a living and they don't have the cushy numbers some other county players have.

We don't have any more teachers then anyone else. this is a special team and 20 years from now will still be a special team. Kildare have won 3 out of the last 4 leinster minor titles. So the tide is turning.

Rossfan

Transfer all the Dublin players to the Cork and Limerick branches of their companies. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on July 18, 2016, 10:53:48 PM

It's definitely an advantage for our lads to work and live in Dublin. But they do work for a living and they don't have the cushy numbers some other county players have.

We don't have any more teachers then anyone else. this is a special team and 20 years from now will still be a special team. Kildare have won 3 out of the last 4 leinster minor titles. So the tide is turning.

Hardly. Sure some of them will be in their 50s by then 😎

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 18, 2016, 11:43:11 PM

You're reckoning without the team of nutrionists in the backroom staff, AZ.

tonto1888

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 19, 2016, 02:31:44 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 18, 2016, 11:43:11 PM

and the money they are secretly spending on Benjamin Buttonesque technology

You're reckoning without the team of nutrionists in the backroom staff, AZ.

jb81

Quote from: SkillfulBill on July 18, 2016, 10:14:30 PM
Load of crap. The Dubs are miles ahead of the rest of Leinster yes because the rest of Leinster are pure muck at the moment just look at how many Leinster teams are in Div 1 or have been in Div 1 over the last 10 years. Any one of Kerry, Mayo, Donegal or Tyrone are well capable of beating them and for them to win the All Ireland this year they will most likely have to beat 3 out of these 4 interesting championship coming up.

This....
It is not a funding problem, or a population problem, its an outdated, un-balanced Provisional Championship problem.
As much as I loved to see Tyrone win Ulster again ( and Ulster is still fascinating and competitive to me ) on Sunday the provincials are not the way forward, although I hate to say it, unfortunately tradition is important in the GAA and I cant see them changing it.

If you forget about the Leinster ( hurling and football ) and Munster football championships for a minute and look at the knockout games say since from 2010 ( i picked this year as it was the end of the Tyrone/Kerry dominance and the supposed start of this Dublin era of dominance.
All Ireland Winners:
Cork 1
Kerry 1
Donegal 1
Dublin 3

2010 - Dublin beat by both Meath and Cork
2011 - Dublin a 1 point over Kildare and a 3 point win over Wexford to win Leinster, a 2 point win over Donegal and a 1 point win over Kerry
2012 - a four point win over Wexford and a 3 point win over Meath to win Leinster, a 3 point win over Laois and then beat by Mayo
2013 - Easy run through Leinster, a 1 point win over Mayo in the final
2014 - Easy Leinster run, beat well by Donegal by 6 points
2015 - Easiest Leinster ever, a four point replay win over Mayo and a 3 point win over Kerry.
2016 - Easy Leinster, All Ireland ????? possibly will have to beat Donegal, Kerry and Tyrone/Mayo to win it, you never know.

I suppose my point being it is the provincial championships are wrong. But when the Dubs come up to the knockouts and play the so called bigger teams, is there really that much between them or are they just this decades good team, i think so. So many of these games listed above are small margins and could have gone either way. Even their leagues that they have won could have been different ( not all of them obviously ), but beat Tyrone by 1 point, and I think I remember one year it coming to last game and score difference for Dublin to even make it to the semi finals.
I just think they are a really good team, but are not unbeatable and the sooner the GAA make a change to the format of the Championship were the big teams will be playing each other more often then we are stuck with maybe 50% of our games each year being un-competitive..

High Fielder

Most of the Dublin lads are ambassadors rather than employees in the strictest sense of the word Good luck to them but they wouldn't exactly be killed during work hours. Their achievements and reputations allow them to come and go as they please, and it's a different world to the lads in other counties who have to clock in and out and justify a day's pay. Dublin as a county is on a different page to most of the country where the recession is still in full swing.

They are a good team but outside of Connolly and McCarthy I wouldn't have any of the rest of them down as greats. All good skilful footballers but lucky to be playing in a time when Gaelic football is particularly weak.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: High Fielder on July 19, 2016, 09:25:57 AM
Most of the Dublin lads are ambassadors rather than employees in the strictest sense of the word Good luck to them but they wouldn't exactly be killed during work hours. Their achievements and reputations allow them to come and go as they please, and it's a different world to the lads in other counties who have to clock in and out and justify a day's pay. Dublin as a county is on a different page to most of the country where the recession is still in full swing.

They are a good team but outside of Connolly and McCarthy I wouldn't have any of the rest of them down as greats. All good skilful footballers but lucky to be playing in a time when Gaelic football is particularly weak.

McCarthy - jesus! Not even on the same page as Connolly. Brogan x 2 obviously and Flynn if he can rediscover his form possibly.