NFL - Scouting GAA Players

Started by toby47, December 12, 2023, 09:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Might be used as a punter and kick offs, but he too slow to be the goalkicker, I watched Nfl for 30+yrs and your kick time is literally 2 secs.

Cavan19

Reading posts on Facebook you would think Beggan was gone from Monaghan and Scotstown there is a very good chance he will be playing in the Mckenna cup in January.

Cunny Funt

Is Beggan expected to miss all of the NFL for Monaghan or just a few games?

straightred

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 13, 2023, 01:27:50 AMMight be used as a punter and kick offs, but he too slow to be the goalkicker, I watched Nfl for 30+yrs and your kick time is literally 2 secs.
Apparently he is seen as a potential FG kicker and kick off kicker and not a punter (read that somewhwere). I get what you're saying about him being slow but its all about timing. If they get all the timing stuff worked out properly there's no reason why he can't kick the ball a split second after it is set by the holder

rosnarun

I wouldn't get to worried yet 1000's of American kids go to college every year just to be Football players and being invited to a combine itself is a huge acheivement
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

gallsman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 13, 2023, 01:27:50 AMMight be used as a punter and kick offs, but he too slow to be the goalkicker, I watched Nfl for 30+yrs and your kick time is literally 2 secs.

There are plenty of starting kickers in the NFL who wouldn't be half the athlete Beggan is  ;D  ;D  ;D

SaffronSports

Quote from: gallsman on December 15, 2023, 03:18:58 PM

There are plenty of starting kickers in the NFL who wouldn't be half the athlete Beggan is  ;D  ;D  ;D

Kicking in the NFL is about timing anyway rather than how fast you run up. Long snapper to the holder and kicker running on to catch it more or less as soon as the holder has it in position. How long it takes him to run up doesn't matter as long as it's timed right.

markl121

Quote from: SaffronSports on December 15, 2023, 04:54:31 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 15, 2023, 03:18:58 PM

Kicking in the NFL is about timing anyway rather than how fast you run up. Long snapper to the holder and kicker running on to catch it more or less as soon as the holder has it in position. How long it takes him to run up doesn't matter as long as it's timed right.
For sure, there's been lads kicked well into their 40s, them lads had no speed, but perfect timing and technique

dec

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/24/sport/making-next-nfl-overseas-star-ireland-spt-intl/index.html

'If any country can do it, it's Ireland': How to make the NFL's next overseas star 

There are deeply entrenched ties between the United States and Ireland – just ask US President Joe Biden.
Rarely if ever though has that unwavering relationship between the two countries branched out into the sporting ether – both nations pursuing their own national field sports in a manner which arguably borders on religious observance.
For Ireland, that sport is Gaelic football, with the 15-man ball game a central tenet of not just the nation's sporting identity, but it's cultural one too...

"They've more than put their 10,000 hours in, albeit with a different ball but the crossover with it being off the deck is there. That's why I believe the Irish can become such talented place kickers. Then, with punting, dropping the ball from the hands, that's another crucial aspect of Gaelic football too." ...

The IPP, which was originally established in 2017, aims to provide elite international athletes with the opportunity to compete at the NFL Combine in the hopes of earning a spot on an active NFL roster.
This year's cohort sees nine nations represented, further emphasizing the growing global reach of the NFL. Five of the 16 players selected have been categorized as kickers or punters, with four of the five athletes coming from Ireland.
For an island of just over five million people, that's no small achievement to boast a quarter of the entire IPP roster, and 80% of its kicking talent.
Rory Beggan, Mark Jackson and Charlie Smyth all come from intercounty Gaelic football backgrounds, with Darragh Leader, younger brother of coach Tadhg, transitioning from professional rugby...

Norm-Peterson

By the looks of it American football is going the same way as the NBA did. There are only around 25% of whites in the NFL even though they make up 60% of the US population. Baseball is more of a white man's game.
Kicker and quarterback seems to be the only position suitable for whites although half of the quarterbacks are black too.
This isn't a racist post, I am just pointing out that it is unlikely that Irishmen will ever be that common in the NFL.
Derry could do with a few black men beside Shane McGuigan.

Wildweasel74

Strange take on it. Its been know for yrs that African Americans are more suited to NFL. Just like in running.

seafoid

Charlie Smyth has been offered a contract according to RTE
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

snoopdog

Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2024, 07:42:58 PMCharlie Smyth has been offered a contract according to RTE
I think it's a trial with New Orleans

Armagh18

Yeah seen he was offered to train with them this week, unless theres been an offer made since. Fair play to the lad.

Blowitupref

Down's Charlie Smyth becomes NFL player as he signs deal with New Orleans Saints
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose