Bruce Springsteen: Imagine - Darkness Revisited

Started by Tony Baloney, December 07, 2010, 11:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

mc_grens

Good stuff. I got The Promise Blu Ray box set. The old concert footage from the 70's is astounding.

David McKeown

Quote from: mc_grens on December 08, 2010, 12:10:57 AM
Good stuff. I got The Promise Blu Ray box set. The old concert footage from the 70's is astounding.

Was seiously considering this but can't find much change out of 80 for it which just out of principle seems a little steep so two questions. 1. Is it worth it? 2. Is the content of the documentary much different to last nights show?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

mc_grens

On the first question, to me it is, but I'm a bit of a Springsteen nerd so to a more casual fan it might not be.

On the second question I only saw the last two minutes of last night's show I'm afraid, I'm sure it'll be getting discussed to death at www.backstreets.com though so you'll probably find out for sure there.

mc_grens

Quote from: mc_grens on December 08, 2010, 10:32:50 AM
On the first question, to me it is, but I'm a bit of a Springsteen nerd so to a more casual fan it might not be.

On the second question I only saw the last two minutes of last night's show I'm afraid, I'm sure it'll be getting discussed to death at www.backstreets.com though so you'll probably find out for sure there.

By the way, even if you don't get the box set, get The Promise itself, as it really doesn't disappoint... The great lost Springsteen album.

David McKeown

Quote from: mc_grens on December 08, 2010, 10:32:50 AM

I've become a Springsteen nerd in recent years and been to his last 7 gigs. I've listened to the promise but have held off buying it so as to maybe get the box set

Dougal

saw about a half hour of that show last night,thought it was great.im big into music but havent really listened to springsteen much,started today and loving it.  ;D
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Declan

Treated myself to the deluxe box set. Brilliant stuff

omagh_gael

belleaqua

Quote from: omagh_gael on December 09, 2010, 02:05:26 PM
I'v never really got the whole Bruce thing  ???

Not for everyone alright. Guess it depends on what ya hear or your impression of him. For example Born in the USA is probably my least favourite Springsteen album. Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark are two songs I cant stand and dont think they represent him at all. Check out the earlier stuff with the E Street Band and particularly his solo stuff and you might see another side.

Personally I cant wait to get this box set, steep and all as it is. Although some of the songs on Born to Run individually stand above any of the ones in Darkness I still think Darkness is his finest album. Its just spot on. Is there a BBC player that shows this stuff back like RTE? Il check it out.

omagh_gael

To be fair I enjoy his Seger sessions,  perhaps I'm not listening to the right tunes from his own stuff.

Still find it weird seeing Syl on guitar when I see live footage of the estreet band  ???

David McKeown

Ghost ofTom Joad is my favourite album although I quite like Born in the USA and Darkness. They really do have a wide variety of stuff.

Puckoon

Quote from: David McKeown on December 09, 2010, 07:20:41 PM
Ghost ofTom Joad is my favourite album although I quite like Born in the USA and Darkness. They really do have a wide variety of stuff.

He (They) certainly does... Why's he have to set this one in Reno!  :)

Reno: Bruce Springsteen.

She took off her stockings, I held them to my face.
She had your ankles, I felt filled with grace.
"Two hundred dollars straight in,
Two-fifty up the ass," she smiled and said.
She unbuckled my belt, pulled back her hair,
And sat in front of me on the bed.
She said, "Honey how's that feel, do you want me to go slow?"
My eyes drifted out the window, down to the road below.

I felt my stomach tighten. The sun bloodied the sky
And sliced through the hotel blinds. I closed my eyes.
Sunlight on the Amatitlan, sunlight streaming thru your hair.
In the Valle de dos Rios, smell of mock orange filled the air.
We rode with the vaqueros, down into cool rivers of green.
I was sure the work and that smile coming out 'neath your hat
Was all I'd ever need.
Somehow all you ever need's, never really quite enough you know.
You and I, Maria, we learned it's so.

She slipped me out of her mouth, "You're ready," she said.
She took off her bra and panties, wet her finger, slipped it inside her,
And crawled over me on the bed.
She poured me another whisky,
Said, "Here's to the best you ever had."
We laughed and made a toast.
It wasn't the best I ever had,
Not even close.

gallsman

Disappointed I missed this - like Mc Grens would be a bit of a Springsteen nerd.

Darkness, Nebraska and Live in New York City are probably my three favourite albums.