Jimmy's No Longer Winning Matches

Started by screenexile, October 04, 2014, 12:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Surprised he left. I thought there was another all ireland in that squad with jimmy at the helm.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

rodney trotter

He is getting an increased role with Celtic as Sports Phycologist,  wouldn't have been able to combine both roles, he done as well as it was.

bannside

Jimmy was probably the best manager ever in my book. Young enough to focus on the professional game and come back again in a few years with something fresh.

Or let's put it another way. The money a top sports psychologist can make on soccer ( getting the best out of players) would be colossal if the right opportunity came along. Jimmy off to make some bucks I'd say.

Rory Gallagher a shoe in. Players respect him and he knows the inside track on the players and the methods.

drici

Reckon it was breaking down into a two year cycle scenario so if Jim stayed for another year , then he'd have to stay for two.
Always the possibility of a 4-17 to 1-10 every second year.
Brian McEniff had no worries about reappearing when required.
Michael Murphy was 25 in August there - maybe another go before Michael goes.
Loads of possibilities ahead for Donegal and Jimmy.

blanketattack

Quote from: ONeill on October 04, 2014, 12:23:17 AM
He underachieved.

One All-Ireland every 4 years is a decent record. Pro-rata, its a better record than Mickey Harte's - do you consider Mickey Harte to have underachieved?

ONeill

McEniff is the man to take Donegal forward.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

yellowcard

Will be an unenviable task following Jimmy. Whether you liked his tactics or not you had to admire his tactical brain and absolute conviction in his methods. Absolute giant of a manager and I'd imagine there will be 4 or 5 retirements on the back of this decision. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here because I can't see him just sailing away off into the background at Celtic. I'd imagine we haven't seen the last of him in a big job.

cornerback

Quote from: blanketattack on October 04, 2014, 10:02:56 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 04, 2014, 12:23:17 AM
He underachieved.

One All-Ireland every 4 years is a decent record. Pro-rata, its a better record than Mickey Harte's - do you consider Mickey Harte to have underachieved?
Pro-rata, would it not be the same:
1 All-Ireland in 4 championship seasons, v
3 All-Irelands in 12 championship seasons?

larryin89

Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2014, 02:11:42 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 04, 2014, 01:25:12 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2014, 12:17:59 AM
Huge blow for Donegal... Where do they go from here??

Hard to see themselves or Mayo in the mix next year now with their spiritual leaders gone!!

Why?

As I said their Managers have brought both teams from the doldrums to the top of the tree. Will the next guys in charge have the same expertise?

That's not even considering the effort and commitment both panels have put in over the last 4 years can they go to the well again? It'll be interesting to find out!!!

I'm not sure i buy into that at all, there is an element of truth to it but not completely true either. The other side of the coin is both teams had decent underage teams Mayo winning 2006 under 21, Donegal winning minor ulster in 06 and u-21 in 2010 . A lot of these manager boyos are shrewd in their timing , johnno was the same even with Leitrim he timed it well them having won a connacht u-21 in 91. 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

yellowcard

Hard to see themselves or Mayo in the mix next year now with their spiritual leaders gone!!

Your not seriously comparing Horan to McGuinness? Horan was successful in Connacht but failed to win an All Ireland. They were already competitive when he took over and had better players than Donegal. On the other hand Donegal were ranked something like 16-20th in the country when McGuinness took over and actually won an All Ireland and 3 Ulster titles in 4 years.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: yellowcard on October 04, 2014, 11:37:38 AM

Your not seriously comparing Horan to McGuinness? Horan was successful in Connacht but failed to win an All Ireland. They were already competitive when he took over and had better players than Donegal. On the other hand Donegal were ranked something like 16-20th in the country when McGuinness took over and actually won an All Ireland and 3 Ulster titles in 4 years.

If Mayo had better players than Donegal then Mayo would have beaten Donegal. McGuinness did great things but those Donegal players aren't a herd of donkeys either.

yellowcard

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 04, 2014, 12:01:25 PM

If Mayo had better players than Donegal then Mayo would have beaten Donegal. McGuinness did great things but those Donegal players aren't a herd of donkeys either.

Don't be daft.
1) The best players don't always win the AI title, just ask Dublin this year.
2) When did I say Donegal were a herd of donkeys? However the single biggest factor in their success was McGuinness. They weren't as bad aas they seemed when he took over but I doubt if any other manager could have won an AI title with them.

larryin89

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 04, 2014, 12:01:25 PM

We hammered them last year and imho would of given them a good rattle in the final this year but we didnt geta chance because cormac reilly and the GAA hierarchy made sure we didnt get a chance.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

J70

Quote from: bannside on October 04, 2014, 09:25:47 AM
Jimmy was probably the best manager ever in my book. Young enough to focus on the professional game and come back again in a few years with something fresh.

Or let's put it another way. The money a top sports psychologist can make on soccer ( getting the best out of players) would be colossal if the right opportunity came along. Jimmy off to make some bucks I'd say.

Rory Gallagher a shoe in. Players respect him and he knows the inside track on the players and the methods.

That would be my expectation. Apparently doing a fine job with Kilcar.

seafoid

I think he was a breath of fresh air for fuball. Brought immense pride to Donegal people. I think there was an interview with the Follower's son where he said his Dad would have been very happy to see big Jim bringing Sam back to Donegal.  And fast forward 20 years and he'll have a far more impressive CV than Pat Spillane.. .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU