Last Player from unfashionable clubs to play Senior Championship for Mayo?

Started by From the Bunker, September 22, 2010, 11:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Was talking to a few lads at work and we were looking at some of the clubs who never get a look in with Senior players at Senior Championship level. Parke KC's Last representative was John O'Boyle in the 80's. While Islandeady's last representative was 'Horse' Sweeney. We reckon Tourmackeady have never had a representative. which comes to my question which club hold the record for the longest without a Mayo senior championship player (if none)?

highking

Eastern Gaels, Kilmovee Shamrocks, Carramore, Ballycroy, Kilfian, Moygownagh, Ardagh, Ballycastle, Lacken, Lahardane, Bonniconlon, Ardnaree, Parke, Islandeady, Balla, Mayo Gaels & Achill.

Farrandeelin

Didn't Balla have Pat Fallon and Ballycastle have John Madden in the 90s.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 22, 2010, 07:16:22 PM
Didn't Balla have Pat Fallon and Ballycastle have John Madden in the 90s.

Balla had TJ Killgallon too,
And Moygownagh had pat Holmes.

Lacken had Fitzmorris fella in the 80's

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2010, 11:13:41 AM
Was talking to a few lads at work and we were looking at some of the clubs who never get a look in with Senior players at Senior Championship level. Parke KC's Last representative was John O'Boyle in the 80's. While Islandeady's last representative was 'Horse' Sweeney. We reckon Tourmackeady have never had a representative. which comes to my question which club hold the record for the longest without a Mayo senior championship player (if none)?

I believe Islandeady's last rep was Ollie Feeney last year. But in saying that its one of the reasons Mayo are so poor, picking players from the same clubs and not devloping talent from the smaller clubs like Islandeady and parke. What Players could make the step up?

Islandeady= Ollie Feeney, Vinny Veeney?
Parke= Simon Closhessy?
Neale= There is a few there i think

muppet

Quote from: highking on September 22, 2010, 05:09:48 PM
Eastern Gaels, Kilmovee Shamrocks, Carramore, Ballycroy, Kilfian, Moygownagh, Ardagh, Ballycastle, Lacken, Lahardane, Bonniconlon, Ardnaree, Parke, Islandeady, Balla, Mayo Gaels & Achill.

Kilmovee - Billy Fitz?
Moygownagh - Larry & Pat Holmes
Lacken - Michael Fitzmaurice
Balla - TJ, Ronan Golding, Madden, Pat Fallon
Mayo Gaels - John Finn
Achill - Did Mick Gielty play for Mayo at senior? (He was good enough)
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 22, 2010, 09:35:01 PM

I believe Islandeady's last rep was Ollie Feeney last year. But in saying that its one of the reasons Mayo are so poor, picking players from the same clubs and not devloping talent from the smaller clubs like Islandeady and parke. What Players could make the step up?

Parke= Simon Closhessy?

Ollie Feeney played Junior, Vinny feeney never lined out, Simon Cloherty played FBD.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2010, 09:57:26 PM

Parke= Simon Closhessy?

Ollie Feeney played Junior, Vinny feeney never lined out, Simon Cloherty played FBD.

Ollie Feeney played FBD never said the others did or didnt play i was merely asking who COULD make the step up.

moysider

Lacken. had Michael Collins as well [ disgracefully underused and our best player in 89 AI]. Sean Clarke not sure ever played championship but did league before emigrating. PJ McGarry played championship and should have played a lot more.Seamus  Reilly,RIP, won an AI medal at fullback U21 in 1974, but in a predictable pattern in this county never really featured after the Sligo defeat in 75, where he also played FB.

Ballycastle. As well as Madden, Míchael Gardiner played senior championship in the 96 campaign. Based in Dublin management didn't know what a gem they had. Awful waste.

Ardnaree. Incredibly, bar Joe Corcoran I cant remember anyone. To be honest I'm not sure if I remember Joe or just heard the stories so often. An Ardnaree man captained the 74 U21 team but never really featured after. Johnny Culkin. For a club that produce very promising younger players, this is a mystery. There are 2 that I hope will feature at senior next year or two. One based in Dublin will travel to the NY game hopefully.

Bonniconlon. Looks like all the way back to Anthony Egan. For a football mad area that is hard to fathom. Could change too though. A couple class young lads comin up.

Achill Pretty sure Seán Grealis played Senior Ch. Again based in Dublin meant he was out of the loop.

Maurice Sheridan was from Balla.

I can't recall players from Ardagh, Lahardane or Parke playin Sen Ch. Always thought Niall Dunne would have though, when he was a kid..

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2010, 11:52:16 PM

Achill Pretty sure Seán Grealis played Senior Ch. Again based in Dublin meant he was out of the loop.

I can't recall players from Ardagh, Lahardane or Parke playin Sen Ch. Always thought Niall Dunne would have though, when he was a kid..

Pretty sure Sean Grealis never played championship, just a few league games. For Achill you might have to go back to Tom Cafferkey (RIP) in the 60s. He died last year.

Balla's last player would have been Maurice Sheridan in 2003 (although he was with Salthill then). They amazingly had three players in 1996. Maurice, Pat Fallon and the never realised talent that was Ronan Goulding. And of course TJ before that.

I don't know of anyone from Ardagh ever playing. Lahardane? They had a few lads on Mayo Under 21s and Minors in the mid 1990s but don't think any stepped up to senior. Declan Leonard, Ray McDermott etc.

John O'Boyle did play league for Parke in the 1980s but pretty sure he didn't play championship. There's a decent argument to be made for Simon Cloherty. He's 28 now though. Don't think Tourmakeady have ever had one, which is a bit strange. Brendan Prender played league alright but never championship
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

It is strange indeed that Ardnaree never seem to be represented (apart from jinking Joe which is a while ago) on Mayo teams.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2010, 11:52:16 PM
Lacken. had Michael Collins as well [ disgracefully underused and our best player in 89 AI]. Sean Clarke not sure ever played championship but did league before emigrating. PJ McGarry played championship and should have played a lot more.Seamus  Reilly,RIP, won an AI medal at fullback U21 in 1974, but in a predictable pattern in this county never really featured after the Sligo defeat in 75, where he also played FB.

Ballycastle. As well as Madden, Míchael Gardiner played senior championship in the 96 campaign. Based in Dublin management didn't know what a gem they had. Awful waste.

Ardnaree. Incredibly, bar Joe Corcoran I cant remember anyone. To be honest I'm not sure if I remember Joe or just heard the stories so often. An Ardnaree man captained the 74 U21 team but never really featured after. Johnny Culkin. For a club that produce very promising younger players, this is a mystery. There are 2 that I hope will feature at senior next year or two. One based in Dublin will travel to the NY game hopefully.

Bonniconlon. Looks like all the way back to Anthony Egan. For a football mad area that is hard to fathom. Could change too though. A couple class young lads comin up.

Alan Costelloe i believe from Balla before he jumped ship

muppet

MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 22, 2010, 09:58:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2010, 09:57:26 PM

Parke= Simon Closhessy?

Ollie Feeney played FBD never said the others did or didnt play i was merely asking who COULD make the step up.

My apologies, though you were naming players who had. :-[