The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Jesus great story Brick. I'd say you haven't played football in years.

tbrick18

Quote from: laoislad on July 09, 2014, 02:38:39 PM
You should probably tie a knot in it now tbrick.
Great story glad everything worked out OK.
A friend of ours went through post natal depression,it wasn't pretty and I'd say she isn't the same person she was before tbh.

No need to tie a knot in it laoislad...there's simply no time. Sleep - work - kids - repeat. I think I've forgot how at this point. lol.

It's all worked out but the whole experience changed us both. The Mrs went through some pretty intense treatment including ECT (or electro shock as its more commonly known) and she's never really been the same as before it all happened. My own nerves were shot to hell for a while too, but hopefully the stronger for it now.

tbrick18

Quote from: Under Lights on July 09, 2014, 03:18:43 PM
Jesus great story Brick. I'd say you haven't played football in years.

Havent played in years and dont even get to many club games any more.
Make a point out of going to County games with my auld fella but that's about as much as I can get away with these days!

I think the point I was trying to make is that it can all be very tough, but chances are it'll all get better with time so long as you stick at it.

tbrick18

Quote from: BenDover on July 09, 2014, 02:53:45 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 09, 2014, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 09, 2014, 12:11:26 PM
Tis a good thread this. I am to become a father for the first time at the end of August, very excited but nervous too. I honestly think im dreading the childbirth more than my Wife! Anyhow i'll post / review things on here as I come across them

Childbirth was the second worst experience of my life to date but it is certainly the best end product.

My wife went 10 days over. She was very anxious, restless and most of all uncomfortable, a size 8 girl carrying a near 10 pound baby.
I took the day off that we were to get called in to be 'started', wife was experiencing a lot of pains the night before so we were expecting to go in before that.
Rang the hospital- they told us not to come in unless she was 'well gone' but they would call us back whenever they had space to start her.
We waited. Around 1pm we got that call. I answered. 'We have space available now, tell Sarah to come on in now'.
'My wife's name is XXXX not Sarah'
'Oh. I think I've the wrong number, you's are further down the list.'
A distraught woman.

We got called in a few hours later. Valentines day it was. My stomach in bits. We were brought into a private bay-same for everyone. TV on, Liverpool and Spurs were both playing in Europa league that night. Happy enough this will relax me a bit. They go through bits and pieces with wife. Examined her.  She took a bath. Very uncomfortable. She came back to the bay. They brought tea and toast. I couldn't eat.

At around 11pm we were moved to a theatre. My legs weak. Wife was in a bed and I had a soft seat by her bedside. We had decided on a epidural as pain relief as we know it was a big baby. She got the injection in her spine. She laboured. The epidural hadn't taken down one side feeling the pain. I prayed. She laboured during the night she sucked on gas and air regularly but was asleep despite getting contractions every minute where she squeezed my hand to death- she doesn't remember any of this today.
7am came. Nurse told me to go get breakfast. I went to the canteen. Got a sausage and a piece of potato bread and a lucozade. I relieved my bowels a lot in this time out.
I went back to base. Few hours later Nurse told me the child hadn't moved in 4 hours. We would have to go for a section. I made a call to the wifes mum to let her know what was happening (we would have elected a section knowing the size of a child but they were insistent in her trying). They took my wife away from me while I got ready to go into the theatre with them (robes on etc). I prayed.
The screen was up and I talked to my wife and held her hand while they pulled and dragged at her. A cry. 'It's a big girl, a big GIRL'. I was convinced boy with the size. They showed her to us before taking her away to get cleaned and wrapped in towel. Mum got a hold, then me. They then had to take mum to sewn her up.

Myself and the baby were moved to recovery where I was left alone with her. My baby. The wife joined us moments later.
I breathed for the first time in hours.
My wifes had 2 sections, little did I know the 2nd time they'd took her away to prep her and give the epidural only until an emergency landed to the delivery suite and the team due to section my wife had to leave her to attend to this other woman. All the while I hadn't clue what was going on just keeping thinking it didn't take this long before I was in operating room beside her the last time. Most nervous wait of my life - scary shit sat in a hospital room on your own while the OH is away to get an epidural.

Good luck - the first few nappies are pleasant but it gets easier  :)

Yep....when our twins were to be delivered similar happened to me. I was left sitting for about 40 mins.
Then when they were born we didnt get to hold them or even touch them as they had to be rushed to neo-natal and I was moved out again until the Mrs was stitched up. I sat another hour not knowing how the kids or the mrs was. It was the longest hour of my life.

BenDover

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 09, 2014, 04:38:02 PM
Tis a good thread this. I am to become a father for the first time at the end of August, very excited but nervous too. I honestly think im dreading the childbirth more than my Wife! Anyhow i'll post / review things on here as I come across them

Childbirth was the second worst experience of my life to date but it is certainly the best end product.

My wife went 10 days over. She was very anxious, restless and most of all uncomfortable, a size 8 girl carrying a near 10 pound baby.
I took the day off that we were to get called in to be 'started', wife was experiencing a lot of pains the night before so we were expecting to go in before that.
Rang the hospital- they told us not to come in unless she was 'well gone' but they would call us back whenever they had space to start her.
We waited. Around 1pm we got that call. I answered. 'We have space available now, tell Sarah to come on in now'.
A distraught woman.

We got called in a few hours later. Valentines day it was. My stomach in bits. We were brought into a private bay-same for everyone. TV on, Liverpool and Spurs were both playing in Europa league that night. Happy enough this will relax me a bit. They go through bits and pieces with wife. Examined her.  She took a bath. Very uncomfortable. She came back to the bay. They brought tea and toast. I couldn't eat.

At around 11pm we were moved to a theatre. My legs weak. Wife was in a bed and I had a soft seat by her bedside. We had decided on a epidural as pain relief as we know it was a big baby. She got the injection in her spine. She laboured. The epidural hadn't taken down one side feeling the pain. I prayed. She laboured during the night she sucked on gas and air regularly but was asleep despite getting contractions every minute where she squeezed my hand to death- she doesn't remember any of this today.
7am came. Nurse told me to go get breakfast. I went to the canteen. Got a sausage and a piece of potato bread and a lucozade. I relieved my bowels a lot in this time out.
I went back to base. Few hours later Nurse told me the child hadn't moved in 4 hours. We would have to go for a section. I made a call to the wifes mum to let her know what was happening (we would have elected a section knowing the size of a child but they were insistent in her trying). They took my wife away from me while I got ready to go into the theatre with them (robes on etc). I prayed.
The screen was up and I talked to my wife and held her hand while they pulled and dragged at her. A cry. 'It's a big girl, a big GIRL'. I was convinced boy with the size. They showed her to us before taking her away to get cleaned and wrapped in towel. Mum got a hold, then me. They then had to take mum to sewn her up.

Myself and the baby were moved to recovery where I was left alone with her. My baby. The wife joined us moments later.
My wifes had 2 sections, little did I know the 2nd time they'd took her away to prep her and give the epidural only until an emergency landed to the delivery suite and the team due to section my wife had to leave her to attend to this other woman. All the while I hadn't clue what was going on just keeping thinking it didn't take this long before I was in operating room beside her the last time. Most nervous wait of my life - scary shit sat in a hospital room on your own while the OH is away to get an epidural.

Yep....when our twins were to be delivered similar happened to me. I was left sitting for about 40 mins.
Then when they were born we didnt get to hold them or even touch them as they had to be rushed to neo-natal and I was moved out again until the Mrs was stitched up. I sat another hour not knowing how the kids or the mrs was. It was the longest hour of my life.

are you bald? I'd have the hair pulled out and nails bit top pieces if I had to go through that. Some crack when they are fit to toddle around

Hereiam

The kids take up so much time. I don't even get to games now as the wife works most weekends/evenings and I wouldn't even think about going out the door with 3. Life is just work - kids - sleep.

tbrick18

Quote from: BenDover on July 09, 2014, 04:53:12 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 09, 2014, 04:38:02 PM

A distraught woman.

are you bald? I'd have the hair pulled out and nails bit top pieces if I had to go through that. Some crack when they are fit to toddle around

Not bald....but going gray!
Auch they're good craic alright, but also a complete nightmare. Wouldnt change a thing though.

Under Lights

Sssssshhhh she's asleep! Wife's away out for the night, pity would have been the first chance for adult time in last two weeks. I'll sit down and enjoy rest of the match now. I've a good feeling she'll sleep through the night. Fingers crossed.

cornerback

Jaysus tbrick, I knew you got a tough time of it but didn't realise the severity.  Glad everything has worked out ok - i'm sure 5 is a handful but the joy they bring makes it all worthwhile - at least I try to keep telling myself that  ;D

I have a close friend who went through the traumatic experience of having stillborn baby.  I don't know how i'd cope in such a situation.  They are now doing the Cookstown Half Marathon raising money for "Sands"

cornerback

Going back to the OP.  My middle child is 20 months.  There was a stage 3 or 4 months ago where i would have to hold/rock her to sleep for 10/15mins & set her into her cot in the hope she wouldn't wake up.  If she did the cries would start & it would be another 10/15 job.  It got to the stage, with the imminent arrival of No.3 that i couldn't keep doing this... so rather that the quiet/no noise approach, when i brought her up to her bedroom i would talk softly or sing a nursery rhyme for 2 mins max. set her into the cot, tuck her in, kiss on the head, reassure her that i'll be back up to check on her & just leave the room.  I never once had to go back into her...

brokencrossbar1

White noise lads,  throw the child over the shoulder and do the hoovering,  put it in the bouncer in front of the tumble dryer or washing machine...knocked them out no bother!!!!

Hereiam

My mum tell's me that the hoover was the only thing that would settle me when I was a baby. (I was told that I was a terrible baby). Till this day the noise of the hoover would still put me to sleep.

tbrick18

Quote from: cornerback on July 10, 2014, 11:52:29 AM
Jaysus tbrick, I knew you got a tough time of it but didn't realise the severity.  Glad everything has worked out ok - i'm sure 5 is a handful but the joy they bring makes it all worthwhile - at least I try to keep telling myself that  ;D

I have a close friend who went through the traumatic experience of having stillborn baby.  I don't know how i'd cope in such a situation.  They are now doing the Cookstown Half Marathon raising money for "Sands"

We'd a rough few years cb but thankfully it's all settled down now. 5 bringing joy.....dunno....if you heard the shouting that comes our of our house i'd imagine it doesnt sound much like joy ;D

I think I saw something on FB about the Sands thing. Did they recently do a coffee morning to fund raise?
We keep meaning to do something for Tiny Life, who support families with premature babies. They did a lot for us and eventually we'll get ourselves well enough organised to run something to fund raise for them.

Under Lights

Child woke at 2am last night. Didn't/couldn't settle. Took her into our bed again.
She seems scared. Wife messaged me this morning to say even when she mentioned going into her room this morning she moaned. I am going to re-arrange the furniture in her room and instructed wife to let her down in it to play during the day to see if it helps. It's like she has had a real scare or is afraid of being alone- must feel abandoned or something.

laoislad

Quote from: Under Lights on July 10, 2014, 01:17:54 PM
Child woke at 2am last night. Didn't/couldn't settle. Took her into our bed again.
She seems scared. Wife messaged me this morning to say even when she mentioned going into her room this morning she moaned. I am going to re-arrange the furniture in her room and instructed wife to let her down in it to play during the day to see if it helps. It's like she has had a real scare or is afraid of being alone- must feel abandoned or something.
or maybe....
http://youtu.be/ZSNyiSetZ8Y
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.