The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 19, 2024, 10:08:57 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 18, 2024, 06:49:01 PM
Quote from: Rois on January 18, 2024, 04:19:01 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on January 18, 2024, 03:32:10 PMProbably frowned upon especially these days but we would have had to stay and hold our wee girls hand to help her fall asleep but when the other half was in hospital I done the "Cry it Out" method. Life saver wouldn't be the word.. Meant I had 1/2 hours in the evening to clean the house, do the washing, meal prep etc.. Also helped her sleep through the night which other half was glad off when she got out of hospital.

I used a sleep consultant (just one session) and she more or less gave me permission to do a version of "cry it out" - worked like a treat too, after two nights.  Has mainly slept through ever since.  About to transition him to a bed though - that'll be interesting...

Definitely 'cry it out',  absolutely works. Was very young with first one,  and I reckon in hindsight he had a diary intolerance,  so couldn't as he never shut up. Did it with the next 2 and it worked a treat....meant that by no 4,  many years later, I had the casting vote!!

I still have that. F**king hate meetings.

Smart hole!  I suffer the same affliction...

trailer

Quote from: Taylor on January 19, 2024, 10:06:13 AMEnjoy the first 10 years lads and lassies.

Because after that the fun period stops in my opinion. The real world starts to appear on their horizon and the innocence of life for them slowly starts to disappear

There is definitely a real magic period between 3 and 7 where they say and do the most amazing things.

Jeepers Creepers

Once they want out of their pram!

LC

Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2024, 11:50:03 AM
Quote from: Taylor on January 19, 2024, 10:06:13 AMEnjoy the first 10 years lads and lassies.

Because after that the fun period stops in my opinion. The real world starts to appear on their horizon and the innocence of life for them slowly starts to disappear

There is definitely a real magic period between 3 and 7 where they say and do the most amazing things.

Dropped our youngest off at primary school a few weeks ago, she is 7.  When crossing the road I grabbed her hand and she pulled it a away as in her head no doubt she is too cool now to be seen holding her Father's hand......I was devastated.

tbrick18

Quote from: LC on January 19, 2024, 12:32:56 PM

Dropped our youngest off at primary school a few weeks ago, she is 7.  When crossing the road I grabbed her hand and she pulled it a away as in her head no doubt she is too cool now to be seen holding her Father's hand......I was devastated.

Yeah I'm in the same position there.
Our 7 year old is also the last one who'll be waiting on Santa and it'll break my heart when that part of christmas is gone!

bogball88

Quote from: Rois on January 18, 2024, 02:49:31 PM
Quote from: bogball88 on January 18, 2024, 01:04:55 AM1 week in  :o
First three months are tough.  Just ride it out. 

And as someone said, tell your partner/OH to try to keep going with the feeding - I switched to bottles during the day at around 4/5 months, and kept feeding myself at night until they dropped those feeds, because I was too pure lazy to go down and make a bottle in the night.  And especially during the winter nights!  My husband obviously agreed with my approach - never once did he have to go and make a bottle during the night (though may have been dispensed for calpol the odd time)  ;D
Thanks for the advice Rois. A new distant relation of yours of course  ;)

Rois

I heard about a new baby in my wider family network - if that's you, then I never realised you were on here too, just knew of one of your older brothers. 

J70

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 19, 2024, 01:10:27 PM

Our 7 year old is also the last one who'll be waiting on Santa and it'll break my heart when that part of christmas is gone!

That (Santa, not holding hands) hasn't really bothered me as it's a natural, healthy part of growing up. I just tease them about it.

What I wasn't prepared for was my nine year old daughter throwing a fit while we were waiting to head to a gathering on New Year's Eve because her hair wasn't exactly to her satisfaction! I thought the make up and hair and clothes would be hitting around 12 or 13, not 9!

Whereas my 12 year old son still couldn't give two fucks what he looks like!

andoireabu

Foreword - I'm steaming so indulge my nostalgia.(and drunkeness)

The fear of the unknown after you bring them home.

The first few days hoping you know (but you don't)

You get in a rhythm and then they decide,
They want it a different way (but you won't)

Ever give up on trying the next best thing,
That you hear someone say worked once but it,

Doesn't change a thing so you pay someone,
Who tells you this will change everything,

But once you start getting to know,
Your own offspring and what works then,

It all starts to fall into place and when,
The smiles and giggles fall in behind until,

You forget the sleepless fatigue and then,
It's santa, rudolph and birthdays,
Then they are too big too hold hands and,

You want to get back to the hardships you thought wouldn't end  :-\

I was told after our two were born that the weeks would be long but the months would be short. I'm realising now how true that is because we have gone past time frames we won't have again. So now I try to enjoy the age they are now rather than wait it out until they are a bit easier. Because I won't get this age again.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

LC

When our oldest started school the sister in law said its just a matter of Halloween, Christmas, Easter and before you know it he will have completed P1......he is now half way through 4th year.

At times I wonder where did those 10 years go, growing up a 10 year period say from your first communion to you were 18 seemed like an absolute lifetime.

Tubberman

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 19, 2024, 01:10:27 PM

My 7 year old still holds my hand on walk down to school and it doesn't enter his head what anyone might think.
Sometimes, for a moment, I think maybe it's time he stopped holding my hand, but then I realise that it might never happen again 😞
And he's such a happy lad, I'm going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ONeill

I'd have the opposite opinion. Prefer the teen years. Children are annoying, especially your own, between the ages of 1-11. As soon as they hit 13 and can have semi sensible conversations and maybe a pint or two, it takes off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.