Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Malachy O'Rourke has done a great job the past few years and is the one manager I would be keen to see take over the reigns.  Harte has had his time.  Agree on the youth development, is it a coincidence that the main players of the 04, 08 and 10 minor wins never got going with the senior team under Harte?  I don't think so.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Redhand Santa

Tyrone got to an All Ireland final last year and finished 3rd in division 1 of the league this year. The two years before that we won ulster titles. What exactly level are these players at that he's not getting the most out of them? If you compared the Tyrone team to Dublin who won the All Ireland last year it would be hard to make a case for us having better players.

Anyway enough crap talk about managers in the middle of the championship. This is a difficult game on Saturday, similar to last year at this stage we haven't reached near are top level of performance at this stage of the championship. Kildare will be up for it at home and showed against Mayo last year that they have a big performance in them. We need to improve on the last few games or we will be out come Saturday night. Like the league the players have the ability to go from a slow start and raise the levels considerably but now is the time they need to start doing it.

Harte said in the paper today that Hampsey isn't far away so maybe the rumours of him being out for the year are incorrect. If we'd a full team available I'd be going for something like this:

Morgan
Brennan
McNamee
HP McGeary
Cassidy
Hampsey
McCann (obviously unavailable so it's a toss up between Sludden and Burns)
Cavanagh
R Donnelly
Meyler
K McGeary
Harte
McCurry
McShane
M Donnelly

Looking forward to the trip to Newbridge, the regular games against different opposition around the country can be very enjoyable (albeit costlier than a run in Ulster). A win here could bring the team on and give a bit of confidence of a run in the championship.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 26, 2019, 10:30:39 AM
Malachy O'Rourke has done a great job the past few years and is the one manager I would be keen to see take over the reigns.  Harte has had his time.  Agree on the youth development, is it a coincidence that the main players of the 04, 08 and 10 minor wins never got going with the senior team under Harte?  I don't think so.

Is it a coincidence that those teams all failed at u21 level where the players struggled in which Harte had nothing to do with in the 3 years after minor level? And it's not as if none of them have made the step up - the likes of Colm Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Peter Harte, Sludden etc have gone on to win ulster titles and play in an all Ireland final last year. A number of the 2015 all Ireland winning players have also made the breakthrough.

I'm assuming them players making it was nothing to do with Harte but the players who didn't make it where down to him?

There's a huge gap from minor to senior and many many players from all counties don't make it.

LeoMc

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 26, 2019, 10:30:39 AM
Did any of those teams do it at u21?
The teams that did it u-21 are the teams that have backboned our most successful Senior teams, Danny Balls in 1995, Mickey Hartes in 2003,. 2005 & 2008 and Feargal Logans in 2019.

Don't disagree that a fresh voice and fresh eyes would do the world of good to freshen things up.

WT4E

Stars could be aligning..... Tyrone don't make super 8s..... Mickey goes.... Orourke comes in?

southtyronegael

Quote from: WT4E on June 26, 2019, 10:15:12 PM
Stars could be aligning..... Tyrone don't make super 8s..... Mickey goes.... Orourke comes in?
sounds good. Prob more like, Tyrone don't make super 8s... Mickey won't go...o rourke goes elsewhere.

Jim Bob

I don't believe the Tyrone GAA population  are ready to accept an outside manager if Micky was to go at the end of this year.

omaghjoe

MOR has lived in Tyrone for what most of his life.
Played for and managed Errigal.
Dont think you could really call him an outside manager

That is unless you mean that he hasn't managed county youth teams by way of an apprenticeship so he is an outside to the county setup?

Jim Bob

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2019, 12:26:05 AM

That is unless you mean that he hasn't managed county youth teams by way of an apprenticeship so he is an outside to the county setup?

He's not a Tyrone man !!!

tc_manchester

southtyronegael

Quote from: Jim Bob on June 27, 2019, 06:46:51 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2019, 12:26:05 AM

He's not a Tyrone man !!!
hes not a Monaghan man either and he done them no harm.

GetOverTheBar

Tyrone would be very foolish to not make tentative inquiries as to O'Rourke interest / intentions.

tiempo

His Errigal background will surely give him an outside chance, Mickys list probably something like
1 Peter
2 Mark
3 Pascal
4 Tiffy
5 MOR

WT4E

Quote from: tiempo on June 27, 2019, 12:41:46 PM
His Errigal background will surely give him an outside chance, Mickys list probably something like
1 Peter
2 Mark
3 Pascal
4 Tiffy
5 MOR

;D ;D

Can you imagine! It would be hilarious!

bigtogs

Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2019, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: tiempo on June 27, 2019, 12:41:46 PM
1 Peter
2 Mark
3 Pascal
4 Tiffy
5 MOR

;D ;D

Can you imagine! It would be hilarious!

It sure would!!!