Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on November 14, 2018, 11:17:24 AM
The EU unity is impressive, their negotiators are empowered whereas the conservative government and allies are a disparate babbling bunch. 

I see ex-taoiseach Aherne claimed that Barnier et al made a huge concession by offering a UK-wide customs arrangement, instead of a discrete backstop for the Irish border.
Is that so?

Is it so that it is a huge concession? Yes, because the all of the UK is now half in the EU without paying their way and without freedom of movement.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 14, 2018, 11:15:47 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2018, 10:54:43 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 14, 2018, 10:49:42 AM
I want to see Varadkar outside the Dáil holding a press conference welcoming our unionist brothers and sisters into a new economically linked Ireland, purely for maximum trolling effect.

Some chance. Leo will do what his EU and British masters tell him to do.
Must really piss you off that the 26 Cos is a sovereign state and has 26 sovereign partners in Europe ;D
The Irish Government will say ad little as possible for a few days till the Brits sort themselves out/disintegrate

You make it sound like Ireland are an equal partner in this 20-odd group. I wouldn't trust Europe any more than I'd trust the Brits. A country the size of Ireland, is fucked if they don't join the EU and fucked if they do. In reality, Ireland do what they're told by the EU. Ireland are linked to Britain in more ways that you think,so they do what they're told there too.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2018, 12:29:09 PM
You make it sound like Ireland are an equal partner in this 20-odd group. I wouldn't trust Europe any more than I'd trust the Brits. A country the size of Ireland, is fucked if they don't join the EU and fucked if they do. In reality, Ireland do what they're told by the EU. Ireland are linked to Britain in more ways that you think,so they do what they're told there too.

Ireland is an equal partner in many ways. However, there are other countries there and the correct approach is to make allies.
One of Britain's failures in the EU was their Mé Féin approach, when on some of the issues of concern a bit of cooperation with others would have led to substantial change.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on November 14, 2018, 12:24:47 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 14, 2018, 11:17:24 AM
The EU unity is impressive, their negotiators are empowered whereas the conservative government and allies are a disparate babbling bunch. 

I see ex-taoiseach Aherne claimed that Barnier et al made a huge concession by offering a UK-wide customs arrangement, instead of a discrete backstop for the Irish border.
Is that so?

Is it so that it is a huge concession? Yes, because the all of the UK is now half in the EU without paying their way and without freedom of movement.
Don't the financial terms of the exit still stand, Britain will still have pay billions but with no say in the matter?  How will the freedom of movement in the UK for citizens of the EU countries be affected?

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on November 14, 2018, 12:34:08 PM

Ireland is an equal partner in many ways. However, there are other countries there and the correct approach is to make allies.
One of Britain's failures in the EU was their Mé Féin approach, when on some of the issues of concern a bit of cooperation with others would have led to substantial change.

Britain have an ILA?  :o

Britain overrun the world once. They couldn't bare being equal, a bit like unionists can't bear to be considered as equals with Nationalists in the North.

As time goes on, I'm convinced Brexit was pushed from the very top in Britain. It was meant to happen, and those at the top of the tree who pushed it, will gain most from it.

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2018, 12:45:05 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 14, 2018, 12:34:08 PM

Britain have an ILA?  :o

Britain overrun the world once. They couldn't bare being equal, a bit like unionists can't bear to be considered as equals with Nationalists in the North.

As time goes on, I'm convinced Brexit was pushed from the very top in Britain. It was meant to happen, and those at the top of the tree who pushed it, will gain most from it.

The minute that Rupert Murdoch pushed for it across his vast media outlets it stood a chance of getting through.

trailer

The DUP have overplayed their hand. Right from the start when the backed leave thinking it would never happen. If they had have had even quiet talks with the Irish Government they could have found mutual ground and a "deal" that suits both parties and more importantly one they could claim as a victory. They've now painted themselves into a corner.
Indeed SF the same backing remain when they weren't entirely sure what to do, they now aren't able to actually fight and help mitigate Brexit's disastrous outcome.

heganboy

This looks like it's going to be a slap in the face for the DUP. Currently reactions seem to show that just the North stays in the common market. SNP jealous, Arlene raging. The North has now been effectively split from the UK.
The writing is on the wall, how can any future UK government justify the block grant for a non constituent UK country?
The will of the UK voter to retain any interest in any part of the island of Ireland will surely be tested and questions will soon be asked by Labour as to why they pay 10 billion quid annually to keep the place afloat...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on November 14, 2018, 02:18:17 PM
This looks like it's going to be a slap in the face for the DUP. Currently reactions seem to show that just the North stays in the common market. SNP jealous, Arlene raging. The North has now been effectively split from the UK.
The writing is on the wall, how can any future UK government justify the block grant for a non constituent UK country?
The will of the UK voter to retain any interest in any part of the island of Ireland will surely be tested and questions will soon be asked by Labour as to why they pay 10 billion quid annually to keep the place afloat...
That assumes the deal gets through Westminster
There are an awful lot of plates spinning today
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 14, 2018, 02:24:48 PM
That assumes the deal gets through Westminster
There are an awful lot of plates spinning today

I can't see any deal getting through Westminster, it's too divided.

The current deal won't appease the Hardline Brexiteers nor the Remainers and TBH I can't see how they can ever get anything over the line.

May might not see the end of the week and then it is either up to the Tories to look within for a leader, but who in their right mind would take up that poison chalice and then its GE time and even Labour with Corbyn seemingly trying to ride half a dozen Brexit opinions could actually fail to score into an open goal.....

Britain is couped.

trailer

Every possible outcome is now in play. From this deal, to No Deal, to remaining in the EU, to a second referendum. There doesn't appear to be the numbers in Parliament for any outcome to be voted through. 

IF May can pull this deal off, and IF we can get our politicians to implement it correctly the North might just become one of the most prosperous regions in the UK.   

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on November 14, 2018, 02:44:13 PM

Every possible outcome is now in play. From this deal, to No Deal, to remaining in the EU, to a second referendum. There doesn't appear to be the numbers in Parliament for any outcome to be voted through. 

IF May can pull this deal off, and IF we can get our politicians to implement it correctly the North might just become one of the most prosperous regions in the UK.
Would you shtop

NI is nowhere near SE England and never will be

https://www.espon.eu/export/sites/default/Images/Publications/MapsOfTheMonth/Map_Sept_2011/mom_sept_2011-large_legend-final_pict.jpg
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyCake on November 13, 2018, 04:23:27 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2018, 04:08:12 PM
And the last time I checked the map Stormont was in Ireland not Britain.

Yes but it's a British government setup in Ireland. It recognises NI, a NI which is a part of the UK. Therefore, recognising partition. And since SF were actively involved in setting up The assembly at Stormont and running it, they too are recognising the British partition of Ireland.

Would taking their seats at Westminster be much worse than all that?
Personally I have no desire to see Stormont up and running, I consider it a sop to unionists. However if it is need to give some form of local engagement and oversight I would tolerate it for the greater good.

BennyCake

Last bit, I thought the same. Try telling that to a deluded lot in the DUP though.

If it happened, after decades of Britain's policies helping to fcuk the north up in many ways, resulting in it becoming a basket case, now brexit could reverse that.

A lot of football to be played yet though.

Therealdonald

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2018, 03:56:39 PM

Last bit, I thought the same. Try telling that to a deluded lot in the DUP though.

If it happened, after decades of Britain's policies helping to fcuk the north up in many ways, resulting in it becoming a basket case, now brexit could reverse that.

A lot of football to be played yet though.

Can someone explain or post a link about how this makes the North some kind of golden egg? I'm no economics whizz so I need help.