A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 01:46:58 PM
It is manifestly a waste of time when those with whom you wish to unite do not wish to unite with you,and their ministers admit on tv debates that unity is in any case unaffordable.
A lot can change in a relatively short period of time so I wouldn't exactly let some FG numpty put paid to any aspirations of unity. In any case it is enshrined in legislation that the people decide, not the government.

Franko

It is manifestly a waste of time when those with whom you wish to unite do not wish to unite with you,and their ministers admit on tv debates that unity is in any case unaffordable.

It is manifestly a waste of time to try to concentrate on the development of a statelet that has been consistently proven over 80 odd years to be an abject failure and does not have the resources to sustain itself.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 12:26:34 PM
Still cant argue with the basics.After 100 years we are essentially two separate statelets with different cultures with no appetite,much less a strategy for unity,coming from either North or South.Same applies between North and UK.Hence my contention that chasing the unity pipedream is a waste of time.Far better to concentrate on N Irishness,no one else cares or wants us.

I'm from Tyrone and feel more culturally and personally similar to yahoos from Cork as B*ll*ck's from up the road in Belfast or Craigavon.

What also should be considered is the 'Establishment Inertia'. They will follow what they deem the status quo to be and resist voices for change (For example, only 1 Scottish paper coming out as pro-independence yet 45% of people voted yes).

armaghniac

The general thrust of this is nonsense. Donegal winning the AI was treated as much as novelty as Tyrone. UTV Ireland wasn't an All Ireland station but UTV 26 counties, it has failed because they haven't a clue, perhaps they should show some GAA.

And there is sort of ingrown Belfastian culture that regards Tyrone in much the same way as Donegal or Cork.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the majority of people in the 26 counties do not want a UI, every poll has shown this. Unity is unaffordable because NI is a basket case, if it had some self respect it would cease to be so.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on January 13, 2016, 02:53:22 PM
The general thrust of this is nonsense. Donegal winning the AI was treated as much as novelty as Tyrone. UTV Ireland wasn't an All Ireland station but UTV 26 counties, it has failed because they haven't a clue, perhaps they should show some GAA.

And there is sort of ingrown Belfastian culture that regards Tyrone in much the same way as Donegal or Cork.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the majority of people in the 26 counties do not want a UI, every poll has shown this. Unity is unaffordable because NI is a basket case, if it had some self respect it would cease to be so.

But if a date for unification was agreed then the following people would emigrate to Britain:
1) Arlene Foster
2) Gregory Campbell
599,999) Jamie Bryson and
600,000) Wullie Frasier. 

All 600,000 of these will no longer be a burden on Ireland and will sponge off England. Basket Case solved. Thank you very much.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

History for slow learners.Freestate abandoned the North 100 years ago.In 1998 over 90% of the electorate voted to jettison Articles 2 and 3.They like Britain dont want anything to do with the North.A reformed N Irish state could become sustainable if both communities worked together towards a common identity,instead of mutually exclusive allegiances to states that neither want or understand them.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 12:26:34 PM
Still cant argue with the basics.After 100 years we are essentially two separate statelets with different cultures with no appetite,much less a strategy for unity,coming from either North or South.Same applies between North and UK.Hence my contention that chasing the unity pipedream is a waste of time.Far better to concentrate on N Irishness,no one else cares or wants us.
Tony you be as Northern Irish as you like, I am Irish period, good luck with your new unionist friends. I would be in favour of trying to reach mutual accommodation but the utterances of Arlene and the actions of their councillors would suggest that that compromise can only be on their terms. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 04:51:41 PM
History for slow learners.Freestate abandoned the North 100 years ago.In 1998 over 90% of the electorate voted to jettison Articles 2 and 3.They like Britain dont want anything to do with the North.A reformed N Irish state could become sustainable if both communities worked together towards a common identity,instead of mutually exclusive allegiances to states that neither want or understand them.
How far down that road have you got with the brethren in Portadown?

T Fearon

A Northern Irish identity is neither Unionist or Nationalist.It is exclusively Northern Irish based on unique commonalities we all share.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 05:03:01 PM
A Northern Irish identity is neither Unionist or Nationalist.It is exclusively Northern Irish based on unique commonalities we all share.
Which is why it won't work

armaghniac

OK then, what would these unique commonalities be? A chip on the shoulder?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

bennydorano

Trouble is there are 2 'Northern Irish' idenities, not one. I'd say my idea of Northern Irish is different than Jamie Bwyson's.

T Fearon

How is a concept of unique commonality among all N Irish citizens a paradox? At the moment 50% of the electorate here don't vote because they reject the obsolete divisive philosophies of unionism and nationalism and their matually exclusive allegiances to two different sovereign states who neither want nor understand them.

Apart from all that,if a United Ireland came about miraculously tomorrow,it would be governed by a unionist coalition of DUP,UUP and FG,with Orange Marches going up the Falls,Bogside etc as the new Government goes out of its way to prove its impartiality etc.

AQMP

Or a cop out for the "why can't we all just get along" brigade with splinters in their arses??  Northern Irish...our wee identity??