Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

So Tyrone are now through to the semi finals of the Rugby World Cup All-Ireland to be played August 25th

Could we see a repeat of the 1989 semi-final or will we be seeing Tyrone looking for revenge over that defeat in Ballybofey earlier in the year.

Whoever it is I'm sure it will be a great game of free-flowing football without an ounce of cynicism

Syferus

Can't see Tyrone working either team. Penrose gone, Joe Mc a question mark?

Tyrone have been consistent and have shown themselves to be a solidly top five (and four in my opinion, they're better than Kerry). Really impressive work by Mickey this year to get this level of consistency from a team that under another manager probably would have been out in the Qualifiers.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2013, 09:06:40 PM
Can't see Tyrone working either team. Penrose gone, Joe Mc a question mark?

Tyrone have been consistent and have shown themselves to be a solidly top five (and four in my opinion, they're better than Kerry) this year. Really impressive work by Mickey this year to get this level of consistency from a team that under another manager probably would have been out in the Qualifiers.

I wouldn't say losing Penrose would be a deciding factor on whether Tyrone will be competitive against Mayo or Donegal. Ronan O'Neill coming in and looking sharp is a major plus after today.
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

couldnt left this thread to after the game tomorrow?

Gabriel_Hurl

no  :)

Aaron Boone

It's not Tyrone's fault but the cynics will argue they haven't beat 'much' during this run of 5 games. One Div 4 team, three Div 3 teams and a deflated Kildare team. And Tyrone only just winning these games by two points.

It kinda means they are due a tanking when playing a major gun next time.

Syferus

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 03, 2013, 11:25:15 PM
It's not Tyrone's fault but the cynics will argue they haven't beat 'much' during this run of 5 games. One Div 4 team, three Div 3 teams and a deflated Kildare team. And Tyrone only just winning these games by two points.

Tyrone beat a lot of decent teams this year. All four of their last opponents were capable of beating them but the Red ladeens didn't allow that to happen.

Consistency has been the key word for Tyrone since January. The problem now is consistency will not be enough to beat their semi-final opponents. They need some spectacular.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2013, 11:29:05 PM

Tyrone beat a lot of decent teams this year. All four of their last opponents were capable of beating them but the Red ladeens didn't allow that to happen.

Consistency has been the key word for Tyrone since January. The problem now is consistency will not be enough to beat their semi-final opponents. They need some spectacular.

No they did not including you lot. Kildare the only decent team they beat. Div 3 and 4 teams are second rate.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

HokeyPokey

I think Ronan O'Neill could have a big say in the Championship if he is given the chance. Looked very sharp when he came on at CF. We've essentially been operating without a play-maker, besides when SON is out there. Interested to see if Mickey will take a chance on him.

barelegs

Tyrone beat a Division 4 team (Offaly), a Division 3 team (Roscommon), two teams that gained promotion from Division 3 (Monaghan and Meath) and a Division 1 team (Kildare).

Monaghan won the Ulster championship since the league-- beating the All Ireland champions in the process.

Meath have been the only team that looked like giving Dublin a game to date and were beaten in the Leinster final.
Kildare hadn't been beaten in the qualifiers in 5 years and Tyrone went into their back yard and beat them.

Now if you're going down the league route argument Tyrone were one of the few teams this year to give Dublin a game, came second in the League and reached a League final (only being beaten by a point)

To be completely honest there'll be three weeks between now and the semi final and we can certainly improve between now and then. At the end of the game it was the Mattie Donnellys, the Ronan O'Neills, the Conor Clarkes and the Plunkett Kanes that helped see Tyrone through.

For the last 3 or 4 years we've gone to Croke Park and taken hammerings and to be honest I didn't think we were going to beat one of the top 3 or 4 teams. I think now that bunch of players will have the belief that they can beat anybody. There's been progress made this year and I'm certainly not going to bet against Tyrone winning at least one more game.

sam03/05

Tyrone have come through a tough run of games in recent weeks, with very little rest.
The three weeks will make a hugh difference..

they will not be easy beat.

under the bar

Is it not somewhat cynical that Tyrone have a day longer to prepare than Mayo or Donegal??  Also cynical that they have the benefit of a strong £ v euro.  Cynical, scheming Northern bastards!!

HokeyPokey

BennyCake

I think the GAA have to look into red cards for players through on goal, like soccer does. Last man, red card. I don't really blame Cavanagh for doing what he did. The rules allowed him to pick up a yellow card, but Monaghan only got a point from it and probably won the game for Tyrone.

Stephen O'Neill got red last week for similar. But it was the last minute, and Tyrone didn't care as they stopped Meath getting a goal.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 03, 2013, 11:49:49 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2013, 11:29:05 PM

No they did not including you lot. Kildare the only decent team they beat. Div 3 and 4 teams are second rate.

Third and fourth rate, I'd say.