American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

Steelers and Titans game postponed due to Covid
Game rescheduled date TBD
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

gallsman

Cam and the Chiefs' practice squad QB test positive. Pats @ Chiefs provisionally rescheduled for Monday or Tuesday but big question mark over that I guess with what happened the titans and Steelers.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on October 03, 2020, 05:44:57 PM
Cam and the Chiefs' practice squad QB test positive. Pat @ Chiefs provisionally rescheduled for Monday or Tuesday but big question mark over that I guess with what happened the titans and Steelers.

Season could be down the shitter at this rate, doubt the season finishes on time if it does conclude
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2020, 05:50:31 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 03, 2020, 05:44:57 PM
Cam and the Chiefs' practice squad QB test positive. Pat @ Chiefs provisionally rescheduled for Monday or Tuesday but big question mark over that I guess with what happened the titans and Steelers.

Season could be down the shitter at this rate, doubt the season finishes on time if it does conclude

Apparently the league and the NFLPA agreed to about six weeks of slack to account for any COVID related postponements.

MLB was in a much worse state when it had its outbreak and look to be managing to get the season finished one way or the other. Would be confident the NFL will do the same, regardless of what that means for the overall schedule.

gallsman

Pats-Chiefs fixed for Monday night, pending further testing tinnitus. All other Pats tested negative.

Plan is apparently that the Pats will fly tomorrow afternoon and play that night. Gotta think that'll be a bit of a hiding.

Capt Pat

The Texans have sacked head coach Bill O'Brien. After a tough start to the season losing to the Chiefs, Steelers and Ravens. The defeat to the Vikings proved too much for the owner to take. O'Brien was also the GM.

tyroneman

Is there really anyone who will  be able to stand up to the Chiefs?

Maybe Seattle, maybe Green Bay

New England with Cam, maybe Ravens if everythign goes right?

Not many genuine contenders though

gallsman

Ravens (Chiefs spanked them a week ago) and a Bills the only teams in the AFC who have a shot, no matter how small. From the NFC Seattle's D is surely too terrible and Wilson can't be expected to sustain his level of brilliance through the end of the season, which is what they'd need to give them any hope. Green Bay and the Bucs look like the other NFC picks, Bucs even headed up the rankings of all teams by DVOA before last night's game, although I personally don't see them troubling KC.

KC - Green Bay Super Bowl. KC to win.

magpie seanie

Go Bears! Foles takes Brady down again!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The obsession with QB's in this sport is insane. Clearly Brady is a miles better QB than Foles, even now. There are 21 other players on the field though and they all make massive impacts. Outhalves in rugby aren't always man of the match nor should they be. I think the comparison holds here but I guess it's a reflection on the American psyche.

Bears defense is the reason why they're 4-1. If you're not leaking many points then it's possible to scrape together enough scores yourself to win. QB play has been bad aided and abetted by awful play calling. Nearly lost the game by throwing on 2nd down when already comfortably in FG range. Unbelievably threw again on 3rd down (gained 4 yards). I know they were having trouble running all night but two jumbo package QB sneaks would have worked there and left only 30-40 seconds on the clock rather than 80.

gallsman

The reason they're 4-1 is that they've played the Giants and the Falcons. The D is grand and Mack is still All World but it's nothing on the version from two years ago. Another reason is the really dodgy roughing call on Shaq Barrett when the Bears had 4th & 24 pinned up against their own line on what turned out to be the game winning drive.

The throw on 2nd & 9 was absolutely moronic

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on October 09, 2020, 09:53:17 AM
The reason they're 4-1 is that they've played the Giants and the Falcons. The D is grand and Mack is still All World but it's nothing on the version from two years ago. Another reason is the really dodgy roughing call on Shaq Barrett when the Bears had 4th & 24 pinned up against their own line on what turned out to be the game winning drive.

The throw on 2nd & 9 was absolutely moronic

Oh I know the schedule has been pretty soft also, relatively. Still think the Bears will do well to get to .500 on the season. And the defense isn't what it was a couple of seasons ago. Pretty good on the back end, ok up front and maybe improving. Lot of money invested so should be a top 5 unit at worst. Nagy must have been looking out the window daydreaming when Andy Reid was talking when they worked together.....

gallsman

Yup, could be a couple of grim years ahead for the Bears. Not good enough to win, not bad enough to pick up a franchise player in the draft. Not much in the way of draft capital. Could waste the prime of stars like Mack and Robinson.

Capt Pat

Chiefs are tying with the Raiders 24-24 at halftime in Arrowhead. A possible big upset on the cards.

Gmac

Alex smith is in against rams , if you saw the 30 for 30 on his injury it's a miracle he's playing, some guts and determination.

Capt Pat

The Raiders are up by 6 on the Chiefs into the fourth quarter.