Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Been to Stockholm & really enjoyed it. Only thing was it was the end of June & i felt like Al Pacino in Insomnia (virtually no night time at all). Ended up on a daytrip to Norrkopping for no other reason  than i had seen their team playing Crusaders in the Cup Winners Cup at the Oval in 1968. Also spent a few days in Copenhagen on another trip & you can then get the train across the bridge to Sweden & i ended up in Malmo & took Mrs to Ystad as well, as she's a Wallander fan. Remember going to Lund for a day trip & meeting somebody from Armagh working in a bar! Scandinavia is bit off normal list of people's places to visit, it is bit expensive, but worth visiting. I took SAS flights out of Dublin each time.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 20, 2019, 08:25:11 PM
Been to Stockholm & really enjoyed it. Only thing was it was the end of June & i felt like Al Pacino in Insomnia (virtually no night time at all). Ended up on a daytrip to Norrkopping for no other reason  than i had seen their team playing Crusaders in the Cup Winners Cup at the Oval in 1968. Also spent a few days in Copenhagen on another trip & you can then get the train across the bridge to Sweden & i ended up in Malmo & took Mrs to Ystad as well, as she's a Wallander fan. Remember going to Lund for a day trip & meeting somebody from Armagh working in a bar! Scandinavia is bit off normal list of people's places to visit, it is bit expensive, but worth visiting. I took SAS flights out of Dublin each time.

And Norwegian also offer a great service from Dublin on what look like brand no aircraft.

Fuzzman

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I can't find it.
Was going to the US end of March and wondered is it better to take a wad of dollars over with me or what other options do I have so not to get hit with too many ATM fees?

Is it true you can put your credit card into credit balance and then use that without fees?
What about these currency cards like Monzo or Revolut?
Anyone ever use those?

armaghniac

US atms mostly charge $3-$5 per withdrawal for visiting cards, it isn't a question of the exchange rate.
Some don't charge  this fee, you could research those.

The best plan is a card with good exchange rates and take out $300-400 at a time. I wouldn't bring cash.
Many things in the US can be paid by card, so cash will do a good while. Years ago, I was able to get cashback on a debit card in a supermarket, but last time I tried this it wouldn't work.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 21, 2019, 04:41:54 PM
This is the answer - it will change your life.

omaghjoe

Get a credit card (or 2) without an exchange rate charge charge.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/
You ll be able to pay for everything pretty much with the card, tho inform them your are heading to the states before you head cos they might block it. You dont need to put it in credit before hand just pay the bill when it comes and you wont have any fee

Get some cash as back up say $100 but you should never really need it. I never have cash (foolishly) but I only ever buy food and petrol ;)

screenexile

Quote from: Rois on January 21, 2019, 05:57:13 PM

Agreed!!!

Rois

Quote from: screenexile on January 21, 2019, 06:07:15 PM
Quote from: Rois on January 21, 2019, 05:57:13 PM

Agreed!!!
I believe I may have you to thank for it!

Milltown Row2

Each time I've been to the States we've had a card that's been skimmed! Hate using cards when away
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Owen Brannigan

Always use a Santander Zero card, has credit card purchase protection and no exchange fees it's a MasterCard so accepted everywhere and in all ATMs.

BTW forgot to mention that in Sweden it is almost a cashless society with some places refusing cash and card only. Norway not far behind.

Gold

I was in Copehnagen in early Dec. Tivoli Gardens was something else. Went over the Bridge to Malmo too..?.check out the bridfe!

Copenhagen was beautiful ...couldnt recommend it enough. Expensive though!

Thinking Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest for a week all in this June. Been to Vienna for a weekend before but she hasnt. Anyone any opinions good or bad on Bratislava and Budapest?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

RedHand88

Quote from: Gold on January 22, 2019, 12:14:29 AM

I was in Copehnagen in early Dec. Tivoli Gardens was something else. Went over the Bridge to Malmo too..?.check out the bridfe!

Thinking Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest for a week all in this June. Been to Vienna for a weekend before but she hasnt. Anyone any opinions good or bad on Bratislava and Budapest?

Budapest is incredible. Very western looking city despite being in the heart of eastern Europe. Make sure you go over the bridge to the Buda part and go up to the presidential palace overlooking the Danube.

Bratislava is "ok". Alot more of a hangover from Soviet occupation. Cheap as chips for food and drink though,  but with alot less to see and do than Budapest. People wouldnt be the friendliest either.

laoislad

Going to Madrid in a couple of weeks for the weekend. Have got tickets for Real Madrid v Alaves for the Sunday night.
Any recommendations of things to do? Will have my Dad with me who is in his 70s so nothing that wild.
We'll be there early Saturday morning and not leaving until Monday evening so plenty of time to do stuff other than watch football!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

As well as taking in the match do the stadium tour.... The Bernabau really is a cathedral and the trophy room also is sonething to behold.

heffo

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 22, 2019, 09:01:48 AM
Quote from: Gold on January 22, 2019, 12:14:29 AM

Budapest is incredible. Very western looking city despite being in the heart of eastern Europe. Make sure you go over the bridge to the Buda part and go up to the presidential palace overlooking the Danube.

Bratislava is "ok". Alot more of a hangover from Soviet occupation. Cheap as chips for food and drink though,  but with alot less to see and do than Budapest. People wouldnt be the friendliest either.

Bratislava is nice but the city centre is small and you could walk around it in a couple of hours. They build a motorway right through the old town and the castle.

Budapest is a great city with lots to see and do.

Istanbul is a great city to visit with all the main sights within walking distance of the centre.