The WINE thread

Started by CitySlicker11, December 11, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I prefer Spanish, French and Italian red wines myself, stay away from the Chilean and other new world wines (though I'll drink them if that's what someone has brought) I'm not a wine snob but prefer the Rioja's, Bordeaux and Chianti.

Never get a hangover and at the weekend would go through a few bottles!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Billys Boots

I only drink the old world wines too because Australian (and especially Chilean) wines give me a headache - I'm told it's because of the excess sugar added in production to speed up fermentation. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

WeeDonns

Quote from: HiMucker on December 12, 2014, 09:07:25 AM
To certain extent I have to agree with laoislad here!  Unless you truly are an expert no need to be spending big dough on wines.  One of the best value for money wines you can get is, Yellow Tail shiraz.  Really nice, and its a bout £6 usually a bottle on offer.

Remember watching Come dine with me.  A girl slAbbering about the wine all week.  Telling ones she wouldn't drink their cheap wine because it was like vinegar.  So in the last night one of the guys got the empty bottle of her favourite wine, which was about £50 a bottle.  Poured a £3 bottle in it, and watched her make a complete t**ser of herself, hadn't a clue!  :D
I'd say you could do this with a lot of wine snobs. Some just like to hear themselves talking

We pretty much always stick to white wine, sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. I find chardonnay too sharp and leaves a sore head. I quite like the Yellow Tail sauignon blanc, hard to go wrong with it as most will like it
Some nice ones we'd get regularly are going for £5 atm in ASDA, often around £8-9;
Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc
Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc

Tried a Lidl wine for the first time at the weekend, think it was this;
Rosecreek NZL Sauvignon Blanc Malborough
Tried it with someone who could possibly be described as a wine snob, and all were impressed

WeeDonns

The Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc I mentioned above is Chilean and it doesn't give me a sore head.

I never drink Red, what would someone recommend for an intro to red wine? or just take a lucky dip in the wine isle some day based on how I like the look of the label :-\

illdecide

Don't drink wine can't stand the taste of it although the rest of my family like their wine it's just not for me. I was told as you get older you'll develop a taste for it but 41 now and still just want a pint of Harp or Guinness...(depends on my mood and location)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

johnneycool

Quote from: WeeDonns on December 12, 2014, 10:16:50 AM
To certain extent I have to agree with laoislad here!  Unless you truly are an expert no need to be spending big dough on wines.  One of the best value for money wines you can get is, Yellow Tail shiraz.  Really nice, and its a bout £6 usually a bottle on offer.

Remember watching Come dine with me.  A girl slAbbering about the wine all week.  Telling ones she wouldn't drink their cheap wine because it was like vinegar.  So in the last night one of the guys got the empty bottle of her favourite wine, which was about £50 a bottle.  Poured a £3 bottle in it, and watched her make a complete t**ser of herself, hadn't a clue!  :D
I'd say you could do this with a lot of wine snobs. Some just like to hear themselves talking

We pretty much always stick to white wine, sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. I find chardonnay too sharp and leaves a sore head. I quite like the Yellow Tail sauignon blanc, hard to go wrong with it as most will like it
Some nice ones we'd get regularly are going for £5 atm in ASDA, often around £8-9;
Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc
Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc

Tried it with someone who could possibly be described as a wine snob, and all were impressed

The Barefoot Merlot is an easy one to put down the gullet especially when Sainsburys are doing a deal on them.

Preferred the Chilean wines to a lot of the old world stuff, Concha y Toro Cab Sav in particular.

Had a bottle of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape and wasn't overly impressed with it, but in saying that, if I'm ever holidaying in France, Spain or Italy I always ask for the house red and have never gotten a bad one yet and cheap as chips to boot.

5 Sams

Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc
Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc

Oyster Bay Marlborough Sav Blanc is delicious...usually about £10-£12 a bottle but is regularly on offer in Tesco or Sainsburys. EDIT...just checked. Down to £7-75 in Sainsburys ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Mikhailov

Quote from: johnneycool on December 12, 2014, 10:30:31 AM

Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc
Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc

The Barefoot Merlot is an easy one to put down the gullet especially when Sainsburys are doing a deal on them.

Preferred the Chilean wines to a lot of the old world stuff, Concha y Toro Cab Sav in particular.

Had a bottle of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape and wasn't overly impressed with it, but in saying that, if I'm ever holidaying in France, Spain or Italy I always ask for the house red and have never gotten a bad one yet and cheap as chips to boot.

agree 100% - Chilean wine is great especially the one mentioned

JoG2

Quote from: johnneycool on December 12, 2014, 10:30:31 AM

Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc
Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc

some are not as good as others . The stuff is rocket fuel.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WeeDonns on December 12, 2014, 10:22:13 AM
The Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc I mentioned above is Chilean and it doesn't give me a sore head.

I never drink Red, what would someone recommend for an intro to red wine? or just take a lucky dip in the wine isle some day based on how I like the look of the label :-\

You can't go wrong with the Campo Viejo range, the Rioja Tempranillo has a nice spice to it

Or if you want to get off your head there are some real strong German wines that will feck you up lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2014, 11:19:58 AM
Quote from: WeeDonns on December 12, 2014, 10:22:13 AM

You can't go wrong with the Campo Viejo range, the Rioja Tempranillo has a nice spice to it

Or if you want to get off your head there are some real strong German wines that will feck you up lol

get on it sir

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?id=250218971

CiKe

Not an expert but the in-laws have house in La Rioja and would be "enthusiastic" drinkers shall we say. Living in Spain no reason to drink anything other than the local stuff, so here goes"

Red (all Rioja)
- Azpilicueta
- Cune
- Campillo
- Remelluri (not cheap at about €13-15 the bottle here but only bloody gorgeous)
- Solaguen (cheap and excellent value but hard to find)

White (albarino)
- Paco y Lola
- Martin Codax

White (Rueda verdejo)
- Jose Pariente (top notch if you can find it)
- Marques de Riscal

There is also one Chilean red wine (a carmenere) we loved when living in London. Caliterra Tributo. Tastes of chocolate and tobacco. Maybe sounds disgusting, but really is very tasty.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 12, 2014, 08:59:39 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 11, 2014, 11:37:01 PM
If you like Bordeaux reds then the o'briens booze chain in Ireland have a few good wines on sale right now - esp if you like Cabernet dab/merlot blends

Chateau la raz caman €16 2009 I love

This isn't bad either

Chateau beau rivage 2009 €21

They have another couple cab sav/merlot/can franc blends that are v good but I can't rem which ones right now.  I have a few bottles of the first claret for Christmas!

I like the Bordeaux alright - am very partial to Haut-Medoc and St. Emilion.  Very expensive here, but tend to buy in France when I'm coming home on the ferry.  Someone did a study recently - wine you'll pay €20 a bottle for here will only cost you €6 over there.
I like any of the Bordeaux vinos that have the Cab Sav- Merlot- Cab Franc blend. 
Ive found that this particular blend seems to taste good to me.
As long as they are from the 2003,2005, 2009 crops they seem to be all fairly good. imo.
2010 is still too new and harsh tasting yet even left aerating for long time. For me anyhow.

I used to like the aussie stuff but have heard there are chemicals added for fermentation in some as well as excess sugar which does give the headaches mentioned.

Somewhat jealous of your wine trips !!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 12, 2014, 08:58:08 AM
Sufferin fuk.
This is another thread similar to the 'women and weddings' one.
I cant stand wine experts. Cant abide by these arseholes both male and female that blather on about it and want to 'recommend' what ye should be drinkin.
How about you f*ck up, keep your expertise to yourself and il drink whatever I like and how I like. F**kin wine snobs with their fancy glasses and their sniffin would sicken yer shite.
What gives them the right to be judging anyone else and what they like to drink. If I caught someone sniffin wine in front of me and givin me a lecture on it I wouldn't be long throwin it roun the cnut.

Sorry for hijackin yer thread but it that grinds my gears to a halt.
same as getting into Guinness, the wine can be an acquired taste.
imo there is no such thing as experts - just people that know what they like.
I don't like lager. but I like Guinness , but its horrible from cans.
So red wine and certain types of it can be nice.

You can tell a bad pint if you drink enough of them, so you can tell the difference between good and bad wines too.
Esp if you are shelling out 10-20 quid a time for a bottle, you don't want to dislike drinking it.

ive had exp wines that were not nice, but I like the heavier tasting wines that they make around Bordeaux.
Also ive found that in certain years where the weather was too wet or too hot, the grapes were affected and the wine tasted not as good as the years where the weather was perfect growing conditions.

like a cup of tea with none or too much sugar in it- you would notice the difference between none and six spoons of sugar if you usually take two spoons of sugar in it!

a good bottle of vine can cost 15-20 euros (you can pay more but I like getting decent stuff for good prices)
a bottle drank over a couple of nights then costs much the same as swallowing 4 or 5 cans of some larger/stout/ale.

don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

I refuse to drink champagne and white wine- have been offered exp champagnes at certain functions but refuse as to me the stuff tastes rotten.
its all about what you like. nothing pretentious there- though some people are pretentious fcukwits!

AZOffaly

Quote from: CiKe on December 12, 2014, 11:57:33 AM
Not an expert but the in-laws have house in La Rioja and would be "enthusiastic" drinkers shall we say. Living in Spain no reason to drink anything other than the local stuff, so here goes"

Red (all Rioja)
- Azpilicueta
- Cune
- Campillo
- Remelluri (not cheap at about €13-15 the bottle here but only bloody gorgeous)
- Solaguen (cheap and excellent value but hard to find)

White (albarino)
- Paco y Lola
- Martin Codax

White (Rueda verdejo)
- Jose Pariente (top notch if you can find it)
- Marques de Riscal

There is also one Chilean red wine (a carmenere) we loved when living in London. Caliterra Tributo. Tastes of chocolate and tobacco. Maybe sounds disgusting, but really is very tasty.

Is that the guy that plays for Chelsea?