GPA and AFLPA back International Rules

Started by magickingdom, November 23, 2006, 10:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Text vote - members were asked if they supported the retention of the international rules series.

the members voted in the majority for the retention of the series.

Gpa releases statement on behalf of the membership asking for the retention of the series.

As a matter of interest, do you doubt the credability of all unions on the basis of not sharing their aims? for example, when firemen demand better working conditions, do you automatically assume that their full time administrators must have thought this position up on their own unmandated?

theskull1

Can we not call a spade a spade...while the rest of us were concerned about player welfare and wanted the IR series scrapped, the GPA who cliam to represent the players taking the hammering, think that it should be maintained.

We all know why this is their stance, because it bolsters there argument for professionalism....black and white

It is ALL about the money making potential and nothing to do with representing your country.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2006, 10:58:52 AM
As a matter of interest, do you doubt the credability of all unions on the basis of not sharing their aims? for example, when firemen demand better working conditions, do you automatically assume that their full time administrators must have thought this position up on their own unmandated?

how is that question relevant? No one forces GAA players to play for their county. They're not playing for their livelihood, unlike firemen.

The GPA will never get any respect from me as long as they remain as sly and covert about their true aims. They are all about looking after the elite. They are all about pay for play. Yet they claim not to be about either. I'd have more respect for them if they came out and said as much (though would still disagree with everything they stand for).

Going on strike. Who ever heard the likes of it. Christy Ring (Donal Og's hero) would turn in his grave.

magpie seanie

Uladh - if the membership had got the "wrong" result would the result have been published? I have my doubts. Is the result of every text poll made public?

As for the unions comparison you give I'd be more inclined to believe the unions. They're more honest. The GPA deny they are about pay for play for heavens sake!

Uladh

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 24, 2006, 10:57:45 AM
I find the defending of the GPA quite alarming here.

The GPA announced the result of a membership vote, that is all. It is the job of their leadership to express the majority opinions of their members.

Whats wrong with that?

The hysterical attacks on the "perceived" real agenda of the GPA on a litany of other issues as a result reminds me of the US & UK administration's constant reminder that we are all in great imminent danger from the great bogeyman.

The GPA have the capacity and the will to call a strike within 45 minutes....

magpie seanie

Read your post back Uladh. Can you not see the irony.

theskull1

Why don't we form a GAA officials association and go on strike ourselves? Many of us put in incredible amounts of time and effort for much less reward than even an average county player. The reason why is we love the games. Maybe Desmond and the shop steward should try to remember that.
I think it could come to this seanie. IMO the administration is not dealing with these guys effectively (unless work is being done in the background). HQ are not representing the feelings of 95% of the GAA population which wants this group smoked out of their hidouts. Its like the bloody masons have infiltrated the GAA, such is the cloaked silence from the GPA membership. I know a few and have NEVER heard one defend the GPA whenever someone has ridiculed them. Deathly silence is all you get. Now you can't tell me they haven't been told "keep stum". Now why would they be told that if the didn't have a secret agenda? >:(

Uladh

Skull

"while the rest of us were concerned about player welfare and wanted the IR series scrapped, the GPA who cliam to represent the players taking the hammering, think that it should be maintained."

The GPA have expressed the view of the intercounty players. Now, if you're gonna tell the players they are wrong in wanting to continue the series by all means fire away but these are the fellas playing the game so while you're concern for them is admirable, they don't seem to share it.

The scare mongering about the GPA never changes.

Everyone knows what the GPA really want, but as usual there is no substance to the perception

bt - the point is you are prepared to accept the word of a union so long as you agree with them.

Uladh

The point is Seanie its a total fabrication

"you can't tell me they haven't been told "keep stum". Now why would they be told that if the didn't have a secret agenda? >:(

Skull, that is the biggest crock of shite posted on this board in weeks.... bear in mind Fearon and o'neill post every day."

You honestly believe and can post on a gaa discussion board with all sincerity, that the gpa have told their members to "say nothin" in order to protect some clandestine secret? is it the secret to rule all secrets?

Maximus Marillius

Is there anyone on this thread or board who can explain to me how this game, which we all agree is not gaelic football, helps gaelic football. Dont tell it is great for the players, if its graet for the players, lets have Irealnds gaa team play the EU in a series of gaelic football matches to meet the players needs. NO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS HELPS THE GAELIC FOOTBALL AND THE GAELIC ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION

Uladh

I don't think anyone on this thread wants international rules to continue max

The Claw

I find the defending of the GPA quite alarming here. Where were you guys when I pointed out in the immediate aftermath of the second test this year (and last year) that the so-called champions of player welfare were so silent about "their members" being physically attacked on the field? The GPA didn't care more about Graham Geraghty ending up in hospital than they crave professionalism. QED. The GPA have consistently lied about this matter. They are ONLY about pay for play and I will vehemently oppose them and it while I am living and breathing.

Why don't we form a GAA officials association and go on strike ourselves? Many of us put in incredible amounts of time and effort for much less reward than even an average county player. The reason why is we love the games. Maybe Desmond and the shop steward should try to remember that.

My candidate for post of the week.
BTW I would like to see the series continue, so that is not the reason for my agreement.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2006, 11:16:13 AM
bt - the point is you are prepared to accept the word of a union so long as you agree with them.

nope, stop twisting things. Its about transparency. Just because I disagree with something doesn't make it wrong. I never claimed otherwise. I hate hidden agendas, hence the GPA.

now, if you wish to put so much faith into a text poll. How about telling us how many people were texted. How many replied. And what proportion of the total playing population (inter-county only of course) does that represent.

theskull1

Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2006, 11:21:44 AM
Skull, that is the biggest crock of shite posted on this board in weeks.... bear in mind Fearon and o'neill post every day."
Your opinion is not strengthened by the use of profanities Uladh

You honestly believe and can post on a gaa discussion board with all sincerity, that the gpa have told their members to "say nothin" in order to protect some clandestine secret?

I do have that suspicion yes. If not why are they not more open about it?  Hopefully you'll be able to explain that for me?

2gdias

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 24, 2006, 11:29:24 AM
Is there anyone on this thread or board who can explain to me how this game, which we all agree is not Gaelic football, helps Gaelic football. Don't tell it is great for the players, if its great for the players, lets have Ireland's gaa team play the EU in a series of Gaelic football matches to meet the players needs. NO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS HELPS THE GAELIC FOOTBALL AND THE GAELIC ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION

Well it does help the spread of both games I guess, but the AFL originally thought it would be a vehicle for THEIR expansionist aims and they instigated the series even way back when it was the Harry Beitzal concept. ( He was an ex broadcaster, VFL Umpire, and entrepreneur who alas ran foul of the L.A.W.  :: )

As it is turning out the GAA may well get more out of it as a promotion than the AFL for the AFL love the dollars it spins and, given that they feel the series is on aknife edge, they may well accept the rule changes to simply be "All the way with the GAA", plus home and away match suspensions.

On the physical side it is a mismatch, not from lack of heart but from lack of full time training.

If the AFL played full GAA rules, including the spirit of the game and with harsh penalties for misdemeanour's, who would begrudge the winners doing a lap of honour.

If the AFL want to play Ireland at the GAA game, go for it.

I'd be a fan of that.