Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 12, 2018, 09:54:15 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 12, 2018, 09:48:04 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 11, 2018, 04:28:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 11, 2018, 03:56:55 PM
Can someone explain to Dublin posters why they don't have to invest in bricks and mortar?

I will give you a clue "It's a big f**king building on the North side of Dublin"!!

The new waste incinerator?

If referencing Croke Park, I forgot that Dublin fans assisted in the development and payment of it due to their large attendances. Nearly forgot, however if referencing a home venue for Dublin, a home venue that you cant train on and play on it once every 3 weeks in the Summer. Meh.

This is a nonsense arguemnt.
How many Intercounty teams train at their 'home' venue?
Tyrone don't train in Omagh, Monaghan dont train in Clones.
Most counties, train at their training ground and play at their designated home ground

Some do, some don't. Its not relevant to victory.

Well then why highlight it as an issue?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Dinny Breen

Quote from: highorlow on September 12, 2018, 09:38:14 AM
QuoteTeam Administration

1.5m

This is a county with no travel expenses. Would love to see the breakdown of that, those volunteers don't seem so cheap.

Its for just the one team then.

What's the latest on Abbotstown, are the Dubs getting to use that place these days?

No they threw their toys when they weren't allowed exclusive access.

#newbridgeornowhere

priceyreilly

So there's no explanation for the 2.7 and 2.5 million figures? Isn't it time the Dublin county board answered questions on this? After all it's public money that's paying for this. Do they have something to hide?

Dinny Breen

Can someone explain to Dublin posters why they don't have to invest in bricks and mortar?

I will give you a clue "It's a big f**king building on the North side of Dublin"!!

If referencing Croke Park, I forgot that Dublin fans assisted in the development and payment of it due to their large attendances. Nearly forgot, however if referencing a home venue for Dublin, a home venue that you cant train on and play on it once every 3 weeks in the Summer. Meh.

Most counties, train at their training ground and play at their designated home ground

Wait are trying to say playing at home has no bearing on winning! I mean I suppose you would say that after playing 75% of your championship games at home. I'd say Kerry would love to play 3 out of every 4 championship games in Killarney.
#newbridgeornowhere

priceyreilly

It's generally accepted now that the Dublin senior footballers are so successful because of the money they've been given. Obviously Dublin supporters will deny this but the facts are there for all to see. I think what supports this claim is the improvements seen in other areas. It shows that it's can't be just passed off as a one off football team. There's been improvements in Dublin hurling and their women's teams. Also I found this graphic about club football and hurling.

That's a huge jump.

kerryforsam2018

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 12, 2018, 10:15:04 AM
It's generally accepted now that the Dublin senior footballers are so successful because of the money they've been given. Obviously Dublin supporters will deny this but the facts are there for all to see. I think what supports this claim is the improvements seen in other areas. It shows that it's can't be just passed off as a one off football team. There's been improvements in Dublin hurling and their women's teams. Also I found this graphic about club football and hurling.

That's a huge jump.

Well said Ewan

kerryforsam2018

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 12, 2018, 10:09:13 AM

Wait are trying to say playing at home has no bearing on winning! I mean I suppose you would say that after playing 75% of your championship games at home. I'd say Kerry would love to play 3 out of every 4 championship games in Killarney.

+1 Dennis would be mighty

TheGreatest

Where's the minor football team in that graph?

Where's all age levels and codes in that graph?

The Dublin senior footballers are only a small part of a bigger Dublin GAA.

Females in schools and clubs get the same coaching from the GDOs,  please do the graphs..

thank you in advance.

priceyreilly

That's what I mean, it's not just the Dublin senior footballers. This money has clearly had an effect in every aspect. It's improved the Dublin footballers from contenders to 6 All Ireland's in 8 years. That grabs all the headlines but improvements in other areas show that the huge resources have bought success across the board. I found this table too but I think it's out of date. It doesn't include the recent All Ireland I believe.

kerryforsam2018

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 12, 2018, 10:40:45 AM

Females in schools and clubs get the same coaching from the GDOs,  please do the graphs..

thank you in advance.

I think you're forgetting that Dublin have won 51 titles in all grades and codes since the financial doping. This isn't just about the senior footballers.

TheGreatest

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on September 12, 2018, 10:58:22 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 12, 2018, 10:40:45 AM

thank you in advance.

I think you're forgetting that Dublin have won 51 titles in all grades and codes since the financial doping. This isn't just about the senior footballers.

From u-14 up? both genders, both codes, seems like a terrible return.

kerryforsam2018

Let's look at what's happening now. The millions of euro Dublin GAA have got since 2005 was meant to increase participation and increase Dublin's standards across all competitions. We can see that the second part has worked, I've already done a table showing 52 titles post funding compared with 14 titles in the same time frame pre funding.

What about the increased participation part. Does anyone have any numbers on this? How many new clubs have been established? What are the playing numbers like in comparison to before the funding. We hear a lot about the super clubs and the huge numbers they're getting at underage levels but are the smaller clubs being left behind?

Surely if the number of kids at the super clubs are as big as has been touted, then the drop off rates must be massive around the 16, 17, 18 year old age group?

Have Dublin GAA made any impact on the rugby playing areas? Where soccer is strong?

On this thread we've had videos from Off The Ball posted, they listed the big name former players who are all coaching the development squads. And we've heard these squads are all doing top level strength and conditioning work and training in the multi million euro Abbotstown facilities. It looks like this is where the money is going and the increased participation part is kind of secondary. Can anyone clarify this?

CJ2017

Jan 2018

"Dublin GAA has taken back the gym equipment that the county had funded and installed at the GAA's National Development Centre in Abbotstown."

"Dublin development and underage squads had primarily been using the facility but it involved usage by the senior squads from time to time. However, this arrangement is now at an end."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/dublin-gaa-take-back-gym-gear-from-gaa-national-development-centre-36480868.html

sid waddell

This is a bit of a narrative destroyer.

Given some of the stuff we've heard from Ewan and Parky etc. over the last while, one would surely have expected Dublin to be way out in front at the top of this list, but they aren't even top of it.

Remember much of Dublin's spending goes on hurling too, whereas several counties near the top of this list pay no more than lip sevice to whichever is the weaker game in their county.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 02:11:08 PM
This is a bit of a narrative destroyer.

Given some of the stuff we've heard from Ewan and Parky etc. over the last while, one would surely have expected Dublin to be way out in front at the top of this list, but they aren't even top of it.

Remember much of Dublin's spending goes on hurling too, whereas several counties near the top of this list pay no more than lip sevice to whichever is the weaker game in their county.

This is pure dross in the context of these numbers being totally cooked in many cases given the salaries of management team members are not included among many other types of under the table payments, inducements and freebies, let alone the fact most counties outside of Dublin pay exorbitant mileage expenses just to assemble their panel for training. Being a Dublin player or manager also brings with it significant financial rewards from sponsorship opportunities, increasing player retention and value to the individual beyond what other counties' personnel will ever have access to.

Nevermind the fact that to believe your line you have to assume that the millions upon millions of grant money given to Dublin did not benefit player and coach development in the county in any manner whatsoever. Since you have to then be of the opinion that money is an incredible waste in Dublin, why not give it to the rest and see what happens, eh?

Poor attempt, Sid. That exact same .jpg has been rubbished multiple times in this thread alone.