Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: ballinaman on September 11, 2018, 04:30:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 11, 2018, 04:16:08 PM
The GAA in Dublin benefits enormously from access to municipal facilities, thereby allowing a greater proportion of their funding to be directed into games development.
Ah but you can't blame Dublin GAA for that line in 3...2...1... Ah but you can't blame Dublin GAA for that.
"Blame"?

Why on earth are you "blaming" Dublin GAA clubs for using park pitches for juvenile matches?

The particular verb you use makes no sense.

What's the latest bullshit narrative here?

That these public parks should be shut down?

That the GAA goalposts in them should be uprooted and flowerbeds put in their place?

Or something?

kerryforsam2018

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 11, 2018, 04:28:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 11, 2018, 03:56:55 PM
Can someone explain to Dublin posters why they don't have to invest in bricks and mortar?

I will give you a clue "It's a big f**king building on the North side of Dublin"!!

The new waste incinerator?

If referencing Croke Park, I forgot that Dublin fans assisted in the development and payment of it due to their large attendances. Nearly forgot, however if referencing a home venue for Dublin, a home venue that you cant train on and play on it once every 3 weeks in the Summer. Meh.

The Dublin team trained in Croke Park 3 times a week from July.

dublin7

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on September 11, 2018, 05:12:09 PM
Can someone explain to Dublin posters why they don't have to invest in bricks and mortar?

I will give you a clue "It's a big f**king building on the North side of Dublin"!!

If referencing Croke Park, I forgot that Dublin fans assisted in the development and payment of it due to their large attendances. Nearly forgot, however if referencing a home venue for Dublin, a home venue that you cant train on and play on it once every 3 weeks in the Summer. Meh.

That's about as believable as your user name 😪

sid waddell

Was there a model railway exhibition on there for the summer? Maybe they had a season pass for it?  ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sid waddell on September 10, 2018, 02:12:38 PM
Good article by Dermot Crowe here.

All the anti-Dublin zealots are missing at this stage are the chants of "Lock! Them! Up!"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/money-talk-is-wide-of-the-mark-37297041.html
'Fraid I can't agree with you and it's got nothing to do with an anti-Dublin agenda of any sort. I think I have far more experience of dealing with juvenile footballers in Dublin than Dermot Crowe has and I'm not too impressed with claims that the work of GPOs and the likes will definitely lead to a significant increase in the number of kids who will join their local clubs because of their new coaches undoubted hard work and enthusiasm.
THe GAA in Dublin has had the support of the INTO, the Irish National Teachers Organisation since the foundation of the GAA, and still has to a degree, right up to the present. You can add the CBs, De  La Salles as well.
In recent times, the numbers of males engaged in teaching has declined sharply in Dublin and indeed in the rest of the country also and clubs can no longer rely on schools to send new members their way.
I imagine everyone with an interest in under age football will have heard of Cumann Na mBunscol and the inter school leagues and championships organised by this body. I was one of its members for over 30 years and I tried my damndest to encourage kids who played gah for me to join the local club, Erin's Isle.
Despite the hard work of hundreds engaged in similar work, the numbers who did opt to join a club and, most importantly, stay there for any length of time was less than impressive.
Isles and all other clubs I know of were not to blame for this. Obviously. All clubs were prepared to accept new members but I never heard of a single club official that put pressure on any teachers to persuade the kids they taught to join any club unless it was their own decision to do so. Which very few did unless they knew others already there or their fathers or other family member had played with the club in question.
To put it simply, big clubs intimidate small boys.
At the stage I am referring to, most boys are reluctant to strip off in front of strangers and to cap it all, there usually is a strong rivalry between boys from different schools. They are far more likely to fight with rather than cooperate with kids from any other local school.
All in all, I wish the GPO initiative the very best of luck but I think getting youngsters to try something new out is a simple enough but getting them to stay involved is a different matter.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

priceyreilly

Why aren't people pushing for the Dublin county board to release their accounts? Shouldn't every counties accounts be open to the GAA public? I've seen a few things on twitter about the 2016 accounts for Dublin being available, the numbers look huge. Also I've seen loads of images on twitter about the effect that the finance available to Dublin GAA has had across the board. Not just with their senior footballers. I'll try to link images here if I can figure them out.

priceyreilly

There's snippets from the 2016 Dublin county board accounts. As you can see, the Strategic Review Committee figures at the bottom shows 2.7 million for 2016 and 2.5 million for 2015. This is far higher than the 1.5 million that people have been saying that Dublin get per year. How is this number explained?

dublin7

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 11, 2018, 11:32:00 PM
There's snippets from the 2016 Dublin county board accounts. As you can see, the Strategic Review Committee figures at the bottom shows 2.7 million for 2016 and 2.5 million for 2015. This is far higher than the 1.5 million that people have been saying that Dublin get per year. How is this number explained?

Yeah it's one big conspiracy. Dubs are getting way more than actually was made public. Don't tell Ewan McKenna or we'll never hear the end of it in the papers

CJ2017

priceyreilly - I think people refer to the Commercial income/AIG sponsorship etc more often as its in the news more etc and more quotable. There are more sponsorship partners etc involved and the use of these can have benefits eg subaru & gibson hotel etc for the team and for their sponsors too. I would not be quick to blame Dublin GAA on this, any county in their position would/should do this.

On the Annual reports containing financial details some county boards do make them available for example Mayo's is available
and interests parties such as season ticket holders etc could look through and see where money is spent.
here is a link to Mayo's past ones -http://mayogaa.com/content_page/18068/ good luck with finding some other counties!

The figure 2.7m - Strategic Review Committee is about the plan to save the GAA in Dublin, I think a lot of people can't understand how this plan is in place but the GAA participation rate were/arent as high in comparison to other counties. If you take your county hat off and put your GAA hat on you would not like to see the GAA solely becoming a rural sport and the further possibility of it dying out in the distant future. I think a lot of people do not realise that its Soccer vs Rugby vs GAA vs other sports and no parish link as in rural areas. Take a look at the registered players vs county population figures to back this up, for a city the size of Dublin its inadequate.

Have a look at the Blue Wave Document - http://www.stsylvesters.ie/files/the-blue-wave.pdf you will see Pauric Duffy's comments and the Chairman on Dublin's strategic review committee. You could argue why put money into this and not into other counties instead but what would happen if you did nothing or not enough in the future years.

Incidently the GAA's Strategic Review Committee in 2002 recommeded that Dublin be split into two. heres the link https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tale-of-two-city-teams-dominates-gaa-review-1.1047385, this has obviously not happened
but money has still gone into the Dublin Strategic Review Commitee. People argue that a monster has being created, however it was a difficult position to be put in a few years deciding where to allocate funds.

Just read that article from Dermot Crowe and he has made some valid points in relation to Dublin GAA. Would be interesting to see how the East Leinster Project pans outs https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/15m-gaa-funding-boost-for-east-leinster-project-34934104.html
GAA President John Horan - "We're not going around with our heads in the sand. We need a marketable product to keep sponsors going and we need a marketable product to get supporters to come, you can't have those big gaps that exist between Dublin and the rest. This is an attempt to address that."

I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this.

TheGreatest

Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2018, 07:05:15 PM

That's about as believable as your user name 😪

Thanks for that. Save me the hassle.

Dinny Breen

Team Administration

1.5m

This is a county with no travel expenses. Would love to see the breakdown of that, those volunteers don't seem so cheap.
#newbridgeornowhere

highorlow

QuoteTeam Administration

1.5m

This is a county with no travel expenses. Would love to see the breakdown of that, those volunteers don't seem so cheap.

Its for just the one team then.

What's the latest on Abbotstown, are the Dubs getting to use that place these days?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blewuporstuffed

This is a nonsense arguemnt.
How many Intercounty teams train at their 'home' venue?
Tyrone don't train in Omagh, Monaghan dont train in Clones.
Most counties, train at their training ground and play at their designated home ground
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

TheGreatest

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 12, 2018, 09:48:04 AM

This is a nonsense arguemnt.
How many Intercounty teams train at their 'home' venue?
Tyrone don't train in Omagh, Monaghan dont train in Clones.
Most counties, train at their training ground and play at their designated home ground

Some do, some don't. Its not relevant to victory.