Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 11, 2018, 01:23:31 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 10, 2018, 02:18:30 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 01:48:26 PM

Show us this increased partcipation, year by year breakdown, number of new clubs and green areas purchased to facilitate. [/b]

Quotehttps://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/money-talk-is-wide-of-the-mark-37297041.html

With the help of State funding the GAA's market share has increased impressively in the capital. The cumulative growth rate in Gaelic football among children between the ages of eight and 12, from 2011 to this year is almost 42 per cent. Over the same period in hurling, the cumulative rate of growth is 64.1 per cent. Could any of this have been seen as a sure thing, a no-brainer? Not that long ago, carrying a hurl in many parts of Dublin might mark you out as a bit odd, and almost certainly from the country. It is a different place now. That is the real story of the investment in Dublin and there are many more like it untold.

Absolutely brilliant to see such growth in youth participation rates.

But this is clearly a bad thing in some people's eyes.

Those people are miserable cranks.

QuoteThe cumulative growth rate in Gaelic football among children between the ages of eight and 12, from 2011 to this year is almost 42 per cent. Over the same period in hurling, the cumulative rate of growth is 64.1 per cent

Would like to see a source, is this growth in clubs or growth in schools, if schools how many are then engaging with clubs, primary school programs generally last a school term, are we seeing an increase in school teams entering competitions.

Basically what is KPI for the millions spent, surely new clubs and new green field sites should be part of that conversation? We keep hearing Dublin are doing a wonderful job, at winning All-Ireland's in football and making their hurlers competitive absolutely but growing the game, I see no new clubs I see no new grounds I see a stadium in Parnell Park at a par with Newbridge, with even worse parking. So if the GAA are pumping millions into Dublin GAA, what is the actual benefit to the organisation as a whole, is it really to maintain the same footprint year after year?

The Dublin posters have chosen to ignore this; It won't be long before a jouno is writing about this given we know many of them read the board.

I Think i responded to that, it goes on coaching over the last decade to children, courses for the volunteers etc etc. That's the key point missed, Dublin are investing in the children and people, while others are investing in bricks and mortar.

larryin89

How does that club rossie draw work ? Where did they get the money to Purchase the house ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

dublin7

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 11, 2018, 01:23:31 PM

Show us this increased partcipation, year by year breakdown, number of new clubs and green areas purchased to facilitate. [/b]

Quotehttps://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/money-talk-is-wide-of-the-mark-37297041.html

With the help of State funding the GAA's market share has increased impressively in the capital. The cumulative growth rate in Gaelic football among children between the ages of eight and 12, from 2011 to this year is almost 42 per cent. Over the same period in hurling, the cumulative rate of growth is 64.1 per cent. Could any of this have been seen as a sure thing, a no-brainer? Not that long ago, carrying a hurl in many parts of Dublin might mark you out as a bit odd, and almost certainly from the country. It is a different place now. That is the real story of the investment in Dublin and there are many more like it untold.

QuoteThe cumulative growth rate in Gaelic football among children between the ages of eight and 12, from 2011 to this year is almost 42 per cent. Over the same period in hurling, the cumulative rate of growth is 64.1 per cent

Would like to see a source, is this growth in clubs or growth in schools, if schools how many are then engaging with clubs, primary school programs generally last a school term, are we seeing an increase in school teams entering competitions.

Basically what is KPI for the millions spent, surely new clubs and new green field sites should be part of that conversation? We keep hearing Dublin are doing a wonderful job, at winning All-Ireland's in football and making their hurlers competitive absolutely but growing the game, I see no new clubs I see no new grounds I see a stadium in Parnell Park at a par with Newbridge, with even worse parking. So if the GAA are pumping millions into Dublin GAA, what is the actual benefit to the organisation as a whole, is it really to maintain the same footprint year after year?

The Dublin posters have chosen to ignore this; It won't be long before a jouno is writing about this given we know many of them read the board.

They did try to by a large site in Lucan but NAMA wouldn't sell it to them.

There's this show on rte a couple of times every day called "The News" You should watch it to see what land prices are like in Dublin. Alternatively with google/the internet you can look up litreally anything. Take any of these options and see how hard it is to buy a house in dublin never mind the large green area need for a new club.  Several clubs in dublin in fact are coming under pressure as their pitches are being sold for property developments. Only recently residents in Raheny had to hold several protests due to the council's plan to build 500 houses on what is currently St Anne's park.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: larryin89 on September 11, 2018, 01:45:11 PM
How does that club rossie draw work ? Where did they get the money to Purchase the house ?

They'll have got it for free, Mulryan who owns Ballymore is a Rossie; He used to sponsor them.

Orchard park

At cost I believe the houses is, but either  way an arrangement underwritten by arguiably the 2nd highest funding  private individual involved in the GAA.

Sean Mulryan has kept us afloat for a long long time

DUBSFORSAM1

If you listen to Jarlath Burns on the Parkinson podcast he explains how Dublin used the GAA funding - Every player development coach who went into schools was linked to a club in order to increase participation rates in clubs. The primary focus though was on giving kids the chance to play GAA whether they chose to go on and play with clubs was not the be all and end all.

In terms of new grounds etc as he also pointed out his own club only need to fork out about 300k to get enough land to build a clubhouse/pitch etc but in Dublin the figure would be closer to a 10m+ in certain areas.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gaa-gamble-pays-off-for-coach-1.1009056 - A description of what the Gaelic Development officer does in Dublin

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/we-can-all-take-lessons-from-dublin-winning-blueprint-403728.html - a Kerry take from 2 years ago about what counties can learn from Dublin in terms of development and using development officers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-gavin-defends-the-investment-in-dublin-gaa-1.2526138 - Jim Gavin telling other counties what to do to get increased funding again from two years ago

Dinny Breen

Can someone explain to Dublin posters why they don't have to invest in bricks and mortar?

I will give you a clue "It's a big f**king building on the North side of Dublin"!!
#newbridgeornowhere

dublin7

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 11, 2018, 03:56:55 PM
Can someone explain to Dublin posters why they don't have to invest in bricks and mortar?

I will give you a clue "It's a big f**king building on the North side of Dublin"!!

I fail to see what the airport has to do with Dublin GAA. :(

Maybe that's were kildare have been going wrong all these years. They do all their training in buildings rather than kicking footballs on the pitch

Jinxy

The GAA in Dublin benefits enormously from access to municipal facilities, thereby allowing a greater proportion of their funding to be directed into games development.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

highorlow

QuoteIn an attempt to validate his false outrage, MacKenna persists with a statistic that over the last ten years Dublin have received €16m in funding towards games development while Cork, the next in line, have received €1.1m. The problem with this claim is that it gives zero context. The new Páirc Uí Chaoimh stadium in Cork is a tremendous asset. It is, by far, the largest and most impressive stadium in Ireland owned by a county board and a fantastic tool in games development throughout the county. Cork received €30m directly from the GAA towards its' construction. That's double the direct GAA funding compared to Dublin in the same period – stick that on a pie chart.

And your point is?

QuoteWhen Mayo struggled with repayments due on McHale Park in 2015, the GAA stepped in with €10m to ease the pain. Another interesting point here is that during 2016 the Mayo County board officially spent more than any other county board in the country.

Fake news, we are still paying this debt on McHale. So this guy is saying that we spent more than the Dubs in 2016? Is that true?

QuoteContrary to popular belief, Dublin is one of the only counties in Ireland not to benefit from having a dedicated GAA centre of excellence.

More fake news, they have access by bus and/or taxi to the national sports injury clinic in Santry. If a player gets a bad knock in a club game this is a major advantage. Use of sports scientist in DCU and the like on he doorstep also.

QuoteThe most painful part of Dublin winning for the haters is that this current crop are steeped in history. Their brilliance stems from the desire to carry on Dublin's proud attacking traditions laid down by Kevin Heffernan. From this year's team, Jack McCaffrey, Dean Rock, James McCarthy, Bernard Brogan (plus previously Alan) and Kevin McManamon are all sons of ex-Dublin players. They are carrying the torch for Dublin football and following in their fathers' footsteps.

The genetics argument is the new distraction. If this is the reason then no other county will ever win an AI.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

TheGreatest

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 11, 2018, 03:56:55 PM

The new waste incinerator?

If referencing Croke Park, I forgot that Dublin fans assisted in the development and payment of it due to their large attendances. Nearly forgot, however if referencing a home venue for Dublin, a home venue that you cant train on and play on it once every 3 weeks in the Summer. Meh.

ballinaman

Quote from: Jinxy on September 11, 2018, 04:16:08 PM
The GAA in Dublin benefits enormously from access to municipal facilities, thereby allowing a greater proportion of their funding to be directed into games development.
Ah but you can't blame Dublin GAA for that line in 3...2...1... Ah but you can't blame Dublin GAA for that.

Rossfan

Roscommon has no centre of excellence or even a centre.
We have a field near Oran which may become the Dermot Earley Centre of Excellence if we live long enough.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 11, 2018, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 10, 2018, 10:36:55 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 10, 2018, 09:24:47 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 10, 2018, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2018, 05:28:41 PM
Quote from: shark on September 10, 2018, 05:27:19 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 04:49:06 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 10, 2018, 04:31:45 PM
Where are Curtis & Crowe from? I always thought Roy Curtis was a Dub?

Apart from Ewan McKenna I've not read any article from a journalist or ex player who's had a huge pop at them with regards to the money unless I've missed it?

Eamon Sweeney

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-rest-are-playing-for-second-place-37297038.html

It only took him until the second paragraph. After embarrassing himself last year Sweeney is still obsessed with the former Mayo manager.

I don't think he's the only one with an obsession..

Dublin's four-in-row win was sweet but it gets sweeter by the day every time another begrudging misery comes on belittling the greatest manager and team that any one of us will ever see. Keep it up lads. It's going to be a great winter watching you all fulminate till you make yourselves sick.

And roll on next Spring and the league when we start whipping you all again.

How much money do the likes of Mayo (the perennial chokers) or Kildare (the last of the big spenders) need to actually win anything?
WTF??  ;D ;D ;D
I'm very much surprised at the tone of your recent last post. I always regarded you as one of the (few) logical  and reasonably well-balanced contributors from the Dublin side of the fence.Taking a cheap dig at Mayo isn't what I'd expect from you. Mayo made you piss yourselves year after year as they kept coming back year after year.
There was no sign of Mayo choking last year when your side had to resort to pulling and dragging in the last few minutes of extra time to hang on and in the year's final before that when you also scraped by with just one point. In 2015, Mayo took you to a replay and you only managed to nose ahead in the last period of extra time.
And let's not forget that you beat Mayo by just one point on 2013 also. I can't help wondering what might have happened if Mayo and Dublin has switched places in any of those years.
However, all of this is of no use to anyone. I gave up taking this topic seriously a good while ago when it became very obvious what was inevitably going to happen.
I think the OTT reaction from Dublin sources in the wake of this year's final shows me that any Dub supporter with an iota of cop on knows this too.
Retaliation first is the best form of defence, as the old saying goes but all the gibes and flag waving won't alter the fact that the GAA is heading for financial ruin unless there is radical changes at the top and there is no sign of this happening.
Dublin county now has one third (or thereabouts) of the republic's population and govt.projections put this figure at over 40% before 2040.  All indications are that this will happen well before that date.

How long do you think this disparity between Dublin and the rest can keep on widening before the whole shebang goes belly up?

PS, If you read the latest from Joe Brolly and Eamon Sweeney (both liked above,)you'll get a more accurate account of what's happening than you can expect from the likes of Ciaran Whelan
or David Hickey and the usual suspects.

Aside from all that Lar do you not accept that we are looking at the greatest manager and team of our lifetime. And if you do accept that isn't it churlish not to graciously acknowledge that simple fact?
Just for the record, I have always said that I don't begrudge Dublin their recent success. I can take issue with some of the stuff a number of their supporters post here but that is a seperate issue entirely.
I think it's fairly easy to comparemanagers from different eras. You can compare them by taking account of the way they manage the resources available to them and here I would give the nod to Jim Gavin as the best I have seen.
I doubt that his team would be anywhere as good as they undoubtedly are if he wasn't the man in charge.Put it another way, if gavin had been in charge of Mayo, I belive that they would have lost all of their last four AI finals.
That's why I can't say for definite that the present Dubs' side is the best I have seen. Micko once said that he couldn't say that either when he was asked the same question.
He felt that a team can't be judged against other teams from different eras and I accept what he had to say.
I'd be inclined to say the Dub team right now is the best I have seen but I couldn't say that for last year's team or any other time they met Mayo in an AI final.
Dublin should have been able to beat Mayo half way up Clonliffe Road, given their advantages in every conceivable way. 
IMO, the real difference between the two sides was the quality in depth of the respective benches. Gavin could put in players that would find a place on any other county in the land, whereas Rochford or Horan before him had sweet fa on hand that could compare with those available to Gavin.
However, Dublin are steadily burning off all opposition now that Mayo have been disposed of and I see no reason why they won't deserve to be regarded as the greatest I have seen at their present rate of progress.

Lar I agree with your comments about Dublin's performances in their two finals against Mayo. Both of those games could have gone either way and Dublin's bench probably swung it. Indeed I have no problem in accepting that Mayo could have won either or both of those games. Now that presents the appalling vista to some on this forum that Dublin's spectacular success was simply down to a once in a generation coming together of a group of extremely talented players along with a great management team. And like all good things this era will pass.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8