Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 28, 2018, 09:56:07 AM
The likes of Tullamore, Mullingar, Athlone, Newbridge, Portlaoise, Bray, Dundalk, Drogheda deserve their own urban GPO

We need to be maximising participation in urban areas firstly in the schools and then areas of the town's and then the clubs.
Participation benefits clubs hugely through new members and new families joining in.
Counties then benefit from the talent those children will have.
100% agree. O'rourke was suggesting there are already GPOs doing this

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 10:06:48 AM
The likes of Tullamore, Mullingar, Athlone, Newbridge, Portlaoise, Bray, Dundalk, Drogheda deserve their own urban GPO

We need to be maximising participation in urban areas firstly in the schools and then areas of the town's and then the clubs.
Participation benefits clubs hugely through new members and new families joining in.
me bollox there is

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 07:13:29 AM
Well as I've said repeatedly, the GPOs have not improved the quality of Dublin minors one iota. They increase participation not quality.

On the RTE coverage of the Leinster final O'Rourke said other Leinster counties should be very thankful of the Dubs fans as their ticket money funds coaches all over Leinster. I didn't realise there were GPOs throughout Leinster, or is O'Rourke just talking nonsense?
I see no evidence of this Hound,- in fact I'd say it's the exact opposite. I've discussed this with you a few months when I asked if there were any new clubs set up in recent years and the best anyone came up with was one- out in Tyrellstown and it seems Brigid's in the Castleknock area are determined to shut it shut.

Any Dublin clubs I know has a huge amount of young kids but a huge proportion drop out at an early age as their mammys seem to see the club as a babysitting facility. Really, only a minute percentage of the general population participate in Gaelic activities and I know this is a big worry for the Dublin CB and HQ as well.
Tallaght had more or less the same population as Limerick city but has only one GAA club-St Marks and is better known as  hurling rather than a football clubs. ASFAIK, the only member who has played at intercounty level in recent times is Dotsy O'Callaghan. (Not 100% sure.)
I don't have an active interest in any of the clubs around me anymore but if Ciarans, Vins or Parnells had an influx of new players lately I would have heard about it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 28, 2018, 04:49:43 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 07:13:29 AM
Well as I've said repeatedly, the GPOs have not improved the quality of Dublin minors one iota. They increase participation not quality.

On the RTE coverage of the Leinster final O'Rourke said other Leinster counties should be very thankful of the Dubs fans as their ticket money funds coaches all over Leinster. I didn't realise there were GPOs throughout Leinster, or is O'Rourke just talking nonsense?
I see no evidence of this Hound,- in fact I'd say it's the exact opposite. I've discussed this with you a few months when I asked if there were any new clubs set up in recent years and the best anyone came up with was one- out in Tyrellstown and it seems Brigid's in the Castleknock area are determined to shut it shut.

Any Dublin clubs I know has a huge amount of young kids but a huge proportion drop out at an early age as their mammys seem to see the club as a babysitting facility. Really, only a minute percentage of the general population participate in Gaelic activities and I know this is a big worry for the Dublin CB and HQ as well.
Tallaght had more or less the same population as Limerick city but has only one GAA club-St Marks and is better known as  hurling rather than a football clubs. ASFAIK, the only member who has played at intercounty level in recent times is Dotsy O'Callaghan. (Not 100% sure.)
I don't have an active interest in any of the clubs around me anymore but if Ciarans, Vins or Parnells had an influx of new players lately I would have heard about it.
some good points there, but I don't think new clubs are overly relevant. The existing clubs are getting bigger. Kilmacud, Ballyboden, Na Fianna, Skerries Harps and many more have huge numbers at young age groups and it continues to grow.

Clontarf, Donabate, Lusk all growing too. And many many others.

As a Northsider, I know Tallaght as well as I know Mozambique. But St Marks, St Annes, Thomas Davis are all Tallaght. Then St Judes, Templeogue Synge St, Ballinteer are all within a stone's throw and I definitely forgeting others. Though you are right that Tallaght is well un represented on the Dublin scene.

Of course some areas are not growing population wise, some are soccer hotbeds, and many give up. But the GPO gets more to give it a go. Of course  some GPOs are useless, they are all young and some see it as a skit, but most at least put in the effort.  But as you say, there's a huge amount more to be done (and more money to be invested) if you wanted GAA to be the dominant sport in Dublin.

Zulu

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 28, 2018, 11:20:21 AM

me bollox there is

There are GPO's in every county AFAIK. There are not enough in some counties but they all have them.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 03, 2018, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 28, 2018, 11:20:21 AM

me bollox there is

There are GPO's in every county AFAIK. There are not enough in some counties but they all have them.

This is akin to saying there's water in Rwanda.

Zulu

manfromdelmonte

Quick question for the Dublin flat earthers.
How many players did Dublin have on their U20 football development panel this year?

Not the actual U20 panel, the development one?

From the Bunker

You won't get a quick answer to that. In fact you won't get an answer!

This team is a one off! Out of the blue (to use the pun) has sprung up a talented 25 players - all at the same time. All full time employed lads. A miracle of our time. Playing all their games in a Neutral venue.

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 03, 2018, 01:22:25 PM

This team is a one off! Out of the blue (to use the pun) has sprung up a talented 25 players - all at the same time. All full time employed lads. A miracle of our time. Playing all their games in a Neutral venue.

Thank you for your honest correct factual statement.

Unfortunately Dublin have been forced to give up home advantage since 2010 and play on a neutral venue they cannot even train on. The Dublin team have been force to train out in Innis Fails and category E training facility.

Dublin should be allowed to train in Croke Park. Petition anyone?

mup

And they are all working. And make their own dinners.

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 03, 2018, 01:09:27 PM
How many players did Dublin have on their U20 football development panel this year?

How many do you think?

I understand in the past the U21 panel was around 35 and there was no separate development panel. Dunno if they changed things for U20.

There's one lad from my club who's still 18 and on the verges of the U20 panel this year (sometimes gets on the bench, sometimes doesnt), but he's played 7 of our 8 senior club league games this year, and this will help him improve no end.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 03, 2018, 01:09:27 PM

This is where their financial muscle is been put to best use, there's no danger of anyone slipping through the net given the amount of players their 'looking after' at that level.

Hound

Quote from: mup on July 03, 2018, 02:59:09 PM

And they are all working. And make their own dinners.
You'd have to be a complete moron to think that all the Dublin lads who are out of college don't work.
But there are morons around.