Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebackbar1

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 13, 2018, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 13, 2018, 10:17:37 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 13, 2018, 08:01:37 AM
Quote from: mouview on August 12, 2018, 10:51:13 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 12, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
Ya can talk about Mayo 2017, Galway 2001 etc till the cows come home. The simple fact of the matter is it's August. Galway don't do football after July anymore. To worried about racing and festivals and posing up and down shop street to be worried about football this time of year

Dear dear dear. Like saying Mayo don't do football after August anymore.

Its not really thou, is it.

I don't know. Galway fans seem happy with it so who am I to say different but Kevin Walsh has been in charge of Galway for 4 years and despite beating Mayo in 3 of them, they haven't performed in one single game after July. ie the serious end of the championship. In fact they have played 5 games in August under his reign and have lost by a combined total of 44 points.

Given that the schedule has dramatically changed this year I don't see the logic of this "not performing in August" narrative to be honest. Are we to assume that the Super 8s Kildare and Kerry results should be disregarded because the games were in July? Is qualifying for the semi final for the first time in 17 years worthless because that was secured in July and not at the "business end"? What worth are we to really put on the Monaghan match given the uniqueness of the circumstances?

Mayo fans seen to have delighted in the result Saturday, if ye are happy taking plaudits for coming very close to Dublin over the past few years and that the likely All Ireland result will somehow confirm that Mayo are the second best team in the country, great. If you want to take this also as confirmation of Mayo's superiority to Galway as a football team, that's fine as well. It is all irrelevant to anyone in Galway as we have more than enough problems to fix ourselves in 2019. The assumption seems to be that Mayo will bounce back to challenge Dublin next year again, we'll have to wait and see.

Am I happy with Galway's end to the season? Of course not. Next year will require big improvements to get to where we need to be. We may never get there.
For those of us who closely follow Galway through league and championship though, there is a clear distinction between the capability and the overall squad quality from 2015 to now and I struggle to see how anyone can make the argument it hasn't improved.

Hopefully given the club issues Croke Park might look at changing the semi finals and the final into July to free up August and September for the clubs, perhaps this is going to be the only way Galway will get any joy moving forward as opposed to trying to further improve.

Galway have been well beaten in their last two championship matches, giving out about what fans from other counties think is not going to change that fact.
Where did someone suggest that it would change the fact ?

kerryforsam2018

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 13, 2018, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: fearsiuil on August 13, 2018, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 13, 2018, 09:20:44 AM
Again, a lot of nonsense talked about on a Dublin match thread.

Dublin average score in championship is 27 points. They scored 1-24 on Saturday.

Galway put up a decent score too 2-12. Should of scored more.  Compare that to yesterdays match..

The poor attendance was more like down to Galway's lack of support, id imagine most of the Galway fans there lived in an around Dublin.  You cant blame them , Hurling replay and now the final.

I know it hurts you all that Dublin are good and winning and you haven't been able to rub it in when we lose, I know it hurts lads.

Another nice stat that you will like is the average age of Dublin team that started Saturday is 25.5.
Involved with Dublin club, we could not get rid of 2 Hill and 2 excellent halfway line stand tickets for this match. Stand tickets were given away just to use them. That is a first for us.

Definitely a bit of that going on, seen some myself, however the majority of the support of the 54K was Dublin support.

The premiership is back.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway have been well beaten in their last two championship matches, giving out about what fans from other counties think is not going to change that fact.

I have no idea where you're going with this, sure who could possibly dispute that? It clear to be seen that we were well beaten on Saturday, of course there is no changing that fact.
People are more than welcome to have a pop but at least keep it to what has happened on the pitch in 2018, dismissing two Q-final round wins because the matches took place in July as opposed to August, what's the point of that when trying to assess the overall championship performance.

GalwayBayBoy

Look at the start of the year if you were a Galway fan and were offered a place in the league final, a Connacht title, A championship win in Croke Park and over Kerry as well plus a spot in an All-Ireland semi-final, well you would have bitten the arm of whoever offered it. What we learned is that this is still a young side who are not at Dublin's level but so what neither is anyone else. More importantly they will get better whether it's under Kevin Walsh or not. They'll have a few players back next year and they are not hurting for young talent coming through either. They will probably be at the business end of the Super 8's for the next few years but making the jump to compete with Dublin is a fair old gap to bridge at present.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 13, 2018, 11:49:10 AM
They'll have a few players back next year

Is there any truth at all to the rumour I saw elsewhere that Cillian McDaid is returning from Australia? I would have thought it unlikely at this point in time.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 13, 2018, 12:00:33 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 13, 2018, 11:49:10 AM
They'll have a few players back next year

Is there any truth at all to the rumour I saw elsewhere that Cillian McDaid is returning from Australia? I would have thought it unlikely at this point in time.

Seems a bit early for him to be let go unless he wanted to come home himself. He went to loads of AFL trials so I can't imagine he'd just pack it in that quickly.

He has to potential to be Galway's Jack McCaffrey though if he were around. Got the same blistering speed and well able to take his score.

TheGreatest

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on August 13, 2018, 11:26:43 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 13, 2018, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: fearsiuil on August 13, 2018, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 13, 2018, 09:20:44 AM
Again, a lot of nonsense talked about on a Dublin match thread.

Dublin average score in championship is 27 points. They scored 1-24 on Saturday.

Galway put up a decent score too 2-12. Should of scored more.  Compare that to yesterdays match..

The poor attendance was more like down to Galway's lack of support, id imagine most of the Galway fans there lived in an around Dublin.  You cant blame them , Hurling replay and now the final.

I know it hurts you all that Dublin are good and winning and you haven't been able to rub it in when we lose, I know it hurts lads.

Another nice stat that you will like is the average age of Dublin team that started Saturday is 25.5.
Involved with Dublin club, we could not get rid of 2 Hill and 2 excellent halfway line stand tickets for this match. Stand tickets were given away just to use them. That is a first for us.

Definitely a bit of that going on, seen some myself, however the majority of the support of the 54K was Dublin support.

The premiership is back.

Good one, Haven't heard that one before....

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 13, 2018, 11:32:49 AM

I have no idea where you're going with this, sure who could possibly dispute that? It clear to be seen that we were well beaten on Saturday, of course there is no changing that fact.
People are more than welcome to have a pop but at least keep it to what has happened on the pitch in 2018, dismissing two Q-final round wins because the matches took place in July as opposed to August, what's the point of that when trying to assess the overall championship performance.
Ye are wasting yer time arguing with some lads on here - they have some sort of an agenda or just don't want to see Galway improve, which a blind man could see this year!

I was very apprehensive going to Tuam for the first league game this year as I honestly thought we would struggle in D1 and overall but have been pleasantly surprised with the way the lads performed overall.  If we can improve close to as much again next year, with a few key additional players, we should be thereabouts again.  Onwards and upwards and sure we have a minor football and hurling  final to look forward to and the seniors trying to go back to back - how bad!!!

Jinxy

Realistically, Galway need a new HB line.
Need to increase pace and work rate a la Mayo.
Probably the most important line on the field.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Jinxy on August 13, 2018, 01:59:02 PM

100% correct on the HB line issue, it's easier said than done though, the likes of Keegan and McCaffery aren't available to every county.

Crete Boom

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 13, 2018, 02:12:27 PM

100% correct on the HB line issue, it's easier said than done though, the likes of Keegan and McCaffery aren't available to every county.

I though Bradshaw had a good year and Molloy is a serious talent too. With O'Ceallaigh and Kerin that should be 4 of the back 6 for next year which is a huge improvement from 3 years ago. Personally I would have Power in goals ahead of Lavelle but Walsh seems to really like Lavelle.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 13, 2018, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 13, 2018, 02:12:27 PM

I though Bradshaw had a good year and Molloy is a serious talent too. With O'Ceallaigh and Kerin that should be 4 of the back 6 for next year which is a huge improvement from 3 years ago. Personally I would have Power in goals ahead of Lavelle but Walsh seems to really like Lavelle.

Bradshaw had his best year in a good while but he's 31 now and the elder statesman on the team. Molloy and Wall from Corofin by right should get a lot of game time in the league next year but the problem is Corofin keep winning in Galway and are usually a decent bet to win Connacht after so we often don't see the Corofin players until later in the year. Liam Silke is another who should be back and who can play corner-back or wing-back. Getting McDaid back from AFL would be great but I can't see it happening just yet.

An Fhairche Abu

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/galway-boost-as-cillian-mcdaid-tipped-to-end-afl-journey-37213403.html

Must be something to the rumours after all, a bit surprised he's coming back so soon but he is a player who could potentially give the Galway HB line a big boost next year.

Duine Eile

That's very positively news but a bit surprising alright, himself and Liam Silke would really strengthen that back 6. I'd say Tally is gone by the sound of things, be interesting to see what that means for Kevin Walsh's backroom team, I believe he's been fairly non-conmital himself.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 14, 2018, 09:06:59 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/galway-boost-as-cillian-mcdaid-tipped-to-end-afl-journey-37213403.html

Must be something to the rumours after all, a bit surprised he's coming back so soon but he is a player who could potentially give the Galway HB line a big boost next year.
Our half backs are all individually decent players but what they lack is a real attacking cutting edge/threat that the likes of Keegan, Durcan & Vaughan provided for Mayo when they were at their strongest.
McDaid is very pacy so should give us extra attacking thrust. Getting Silke back is also a big plus especially as he can ply in both the full & half back lines.