Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

I enjoy it, whilst struggling to believe the scale of the hype and critical fascination with it.

Find the dodgy accents very off-putting. Can't take 75% of them. Erin's overacting and Orla's dreaminess/ropiness didn't annoy me as much as first time around but found Clare even more annoying than before. Her accent is genuinely awful. Love how foul-mouthed Michelle is and how phrases like "f**king p***k" can essentially be used as a term of endearment. Probably the most accurate of how Irish teenagers get on around each other.

Love the soundtrack - full playlist of it here on spotify https://open.spotify.com/user/1181646670/playlist/6xPhOPIiMX5BP6GggzFpna?si=q26IxTmkSAyhj7YqLZymWA

Jenny Joyce is a right wee root. There's one of her in every school.

Jeepers Creepers

Derrygirls. Good in parts and overly daft in others. It could and should be alot better with the premise used.

Main Street

I watched the first episode of season 1 the other week, the torture was endured stoically to the end, in case.
But ever since, I have stood idly by.

Has any survey been taken to measure the overall negative impact that Derry Girls might have with southern voters in an AI referendum?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Main Street on April 10, 2019, 02:08:28 PM
I watched the first episode of season 1 the other week, the torture was endured stoically to the end, in case.
But ever since, I have stood idly by.

Has any survey been taken to measure the overall negative impact that Derry Girls might have with southern voters in an AI referendum?
To be fair, I probably didn't warm to it until half way through the first season and enjoyed the second season even more. It's far from perfect and I wouldn't go in to watching it with a serious head on. It's a bit of harmless fun with just the right amount of nostalgia and 'Derry-ism's' for me to enjoy.

BennyCake

I wonder do Protestant school kids and workers head into school/work the day after and ask, "Did you watch that Londonderry Girls last night?"

Taylor

Genuinely find it painful to watch and find myself wanting to turn it over if someone else wasnt watching it in the room.

Find it more stupid than in any way funny.

Maybe its just because Im getting to be a grumpy ballix in old age  ::)

screenexile

It's the age old problem of comedy being subjective. . . All the best sitcoms had overly stupid storylines and shit bits in them but that doesn't stop them being named as the best ever.

Here's a list published today from a Radio Times poll and I could easily argue against a lot of them!

ADVERTISEMENT

20 greatest sitcoms ever
1. Fawlty Towers

2. Father Ted

3. I'm Alan Partridge

4. Blackadder

5. Dad's Army

6. Only Fools and Horses

7. Porridge

8. The Royle Family

9. Absolutely Fabulous

10. Dinnerladies

11. The Thick of it

12. The Office

13. Peep Show

14. The Vicar of Dibley

15. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

16. The Young Ones

17. Gavin & Stacey

18. The Good Life

19. Detectorists

20. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

Sheugh Water

As a Derry City man, far too many dodgy Belfast accents in there. Michelle and Auntie are Derry in the sod.

general_lee

Considering it's aimed at a UK audience I doubt they gave too much consideration to the accents. The wee girl from Galway actually isn't too bad. As for that list by screenexile, it doesn't even have the inbetweeners and is therefore null and void

screenexile

Quote from: general_lee on April 10, 2019, 03:37:27 PM
Considering it's aimed at a UK audience I doubt they gave too much consideration to the accents. The wee girl from Galway actually isn't too bad. As for that list by screenexile, it doesn't even have the inbetweeners and is therefore null and void

Nor Fleabag!!!

Tony Baloney

The acting is irritating as Gallsman says and I think in general the writing is stronger than the acting. Michelle the most believable and is pure Derry. Clare and Orla could easily disappear and the show wouldn't suffer.

bennydorano

Any best of list without Phoenix Nights can f**k off

Snapchap

Quote from: clarshack on April 10, 2019, 01:00:17 PM
Don't understand all the begrudgery i've seen on social media.

That's the sort of line that gets under my skin. There feels like a real 'groupthink' attitude to Derry Girls whereby it's almost embarrassing to admit in public that you think it's s**t; and that post underscores that feeling for me - it's an implied suggestion that if you don't like it then you are just a begrudging so and so.

It's possible to think it's rubbish because you just don't think it's funny, rather than because of any sort of begrudgery.

trailer

Writing good, acting questionable. 6.5 / 10

ziggy90

No Dad's Army, Steptoe and Son or Til Death Us Do Part on the list? Very poor.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered