Football qualifier route 2019

Started by Blowitupref, May 22, 2019, 01:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

I'd say double header in Croker for tyrone and mayo-Galway.

meathie

Quote from: WT4E on July 01, 2019, 11:36:09 AM
Croke Park not available, Westlife is on this weekend...

fearsiuil

Quote from: RossieBull on July 01, 2019, 11:33:23 AM
Quote from: recyclebin on July 01, 2019, 11:17:55 AM
Don't see any double headers because of the teams involved.

Alot of Ros underage games are played in Kiltoom.

This thing about the Hyde being unavailable stems from last year's Connacht Final. It was agreed with Connacht Council/Prenty that another final wouldn't take place there until certain works were completed (Prenty being an ass)
But the Mayo/Galway qualifier game is fixed by Central Council so these apparent remedial works shouldn't be a factor.
Any of these works completed since?

RedHand88

Quote from: meathie on July 01, 2019, 11:38:06 AM

There will be alot of men with a private dilemma next weekend!

rosnarun

Iknow money needs to be made but how stipid is renting out your grounf when you need it most  seeing as it Idle for most of the year even early summer now the Dublin has lost interest
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

sid waddell

Quote from: APM on July 01, 2019, 11:20:40 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 01, 2019, 11:12:47 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 01, 2019, 11:02:11 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2019, 10:31:38 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 01, 2019, 10:01:07 AM
The likely super 8 groups after that round 4 draw.

Donegal
Kerry
Mayo
Meath

Dublin
Tyrone
Roscommon
Cork

Likely All Ireland semi finals

Donegal v Tyrone
Mayo v Dublin
I recall a lot of chaps and pundits predicting a Galway v Mayowestros Conbacht Final ;D

I do love a good underdog story and Roscommon beating Tyrone in round 1 would be memorable one.
Even on the outside chance that Roscommon beat Tyrone in Round 1, I still wouldn't fancy them to qualify.

Dublin will pummel Cork and Roscommon and will go to Omagh miles out in front on scoring difference and guaranteed qualification.

Tyrone would probably eke out a narrow win against a weakened Dublin team and beat Roscommon on scoring difference in a three way tie on four points.

Why would Dublin send a weakened team to Omagh, when they could knock out one of their closest rivals for Sam.
Why would they break their bollix when they have to play Kerry, Donegal or Mayo six days later?

Fuzzman

What's wrong with Hyde now?
Was the bus parked there too long?

RossieBull

Quote from: fearsiuil on July 01, 2019, 11:38:46 AM

This thing about the Hyde being unavailable stems from last year's Connacht Final. It was agreed with Connacht Council/Prenty that another final wouldn't take place there until certain works were completed (Prenty being an ass)
But the Mayo/Galway qualifier game is fixed by Central Council so these apparent remedial works shouldn't be a factor.

It's irrelevant if they are or not. They are not hindering the holding of this match.... upgrade of surface leading into stadium, upgrade of toilets etc.
They are conditions set by Connacht Council, Prenty just wants to avoid us getting all Connacht Finals.

The actual stadium itself is sound and the playing surface is one of the best around.

Itchy

Quote from: laoislad on July 01, 2019, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2019, 10:10:00 AM
The idea of the super 8s is to get the best 8 teams in there. The reality is, due to the lob sided nature of the provinces and randomness of the draws you have a scenario now where some very average teams like Meath and Clare coukd be in the Super 8s. It will have to be looked at again.

Example Cavan will have to beat Monaghan, Armagh and Tyrone to get to it. Clare for example beat Waterford (by a point), Leitrim, Westmeath and Meath.
No it isn't. No team has a divine right to be in the Super 8s.
What you are suggesting is doing away with qualifying games altogether and just picking the best 8 teams every year and putting them into 2 groups of 4 to play for the ALL Ireland. That's not how Cup competitions work.
Who ever makes this years Super 8s will be there on merit, some got the luck of the draw and some didn't. Tough.

No they will be there on luck not on merit. It's ironic that the offshoot of the crapness of Leinster is that some poor teams get well advanced in the qualifiers.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 11:42:58 AM
Iknow money needs to be made but how stipid is renting out your grounf when you need it most  seeing as it Idle for most of the year even early summer now the Dublin has lost interest
Typical of McKenna though, all about making money and who cares if the body owning the stadium might actually need its use at that time.

RedHand88

Id prefer a packed provincial ground over a two thirds empty Croke Park anyday.

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on July 01, 2019, 10:56:06 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2019, 10:10:00 AM
The idea of the super 8s is to get the best 8 teams in there. The reality is, due to the lob sided nature of the provinces and randomness of the draws you have a scenario now where some very average teams like Meath and Clare coukd be in the Super 8s. It will have to be looked at again.

Example Cavan will have to beat Monaghan, Armagh and Tyrone to get to it. Clare for example beat Waterford (by a point), Leitrim, Westmeath and Meath.
I get your point, Clare have to win 4 games to get there whereas Cavan only have to win 3. Bit of a joke that.

In fairness you'd need some luck to get Antrim into the super 8s, I doubt ye would beat New York 3 games in a row

thebackbar1

Quote from: RossieBull on July 01, 2019, 11:50:51 AM

It's irrelevant if they are or not. They are not hindering the holding of this match.... upgrade of surface leading into stadium, upgrade of toilets etc.
They are conditions set by Connacht Council, Prenty just wants to avoid us getting all Connacht Finals.

The actual stadium itself is sound and the playing surface is one of the best around.
So the rumour that there is problems with the pitch is false ? and that Ros wont let it be used next weekend so that it will be ok for the supers 8s is false ?

Rossfan

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 01, 2019, 11:50:18 AM
What's wrong with Hyde now?
Was the bus parked there too long?
Ah when you win your Provincial you have to do a lot of hanging around waiting for the failures to sort themselves out.
If th'oul Tier 2 gets past Hardstation and Benny the process will be speeded up next year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: RossieBull on July 01, 2019, 11:50:51 AM

Well back Syferus
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me