Football qualifier route 2019

Started by Blowitupref, May 22, 2019, 01:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: APM on July 01, 2019, 10:34:21 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 01, 2019, 10:22:18 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2019, 10:10:00 AM
The idea of the super 8s is to get the best 8 teams in there. The reality is, due to the lob sided nature of the provinces and randomness of the draws you have a scenario now where some very average teams like Meath and Clare coukd be in the Super 8s. It will have to be looked at again.

Example Cavan will have to beat Monaghan, Armagh and Tyrone to get to it. Clare for example beat Waterford (by a point), Leitrim, Westmeath and Meath.

This year's FA cup semi final featured Wolves, Watford and Brighton!

There's nothing you can do to stop smaller teams in a cup stoke competition. It's just the luck of the draw, doesn't mean the system is flawed.

The only way to overcome it is to have a league, which would involve a huge amount of dead rubbers.

The FA Cup is a sideshow - not the primary competition.

The Championship is the primary competition in the GAA and it makes no sense to have teams fluking their way to quarter finals as a result of a handy draw. If Laois make the qualifiers, they will have beaten three teams that will be playing Division 3 football next year.   Mayo have two division 1 teams in a row plus a Division 3 team in the qualifiers.  Had Armagh been in the draw instead of Mayo, that would have been three Division 1 teams in a row in the qualifier draw.

Stronger teams are knocking each other out and as a result we have one Division 3 team (next year's league) who will make the Super 8s.  We will definitely have 1 Division 2 team in the Super 8s.  Let's see how they get on against Dublin. 

I'm not for one sided games and if they have to happen, let's have them in the early rounds of the championship and not in the shop window.

Who? If you're referring to Cork, then you are making a presumption they will beat Laois. Or else you didn't realise Laois are a division 2 team (next year's league!)

Rossfan

What's with all the sorcery talk about "Cup competitions"???
Yell be having "kick offs" soon!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 01, 2019, 10:44:46 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 01, 2019, 10:30:17 AM
Apparently the Hyde isn't fit for this and we'll be sent to Limerick
Tht would probably suit us, bigger pitch

You do realise the Gaelic Grounds has a smaller pitch than the Hyde?

Is it? Certainly doesn't feel like that
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

APM

Quote from: shark on July 01, 2019, 10:47:59 AM
Quote from: APM on July 01, 2019, 10:34:21 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 01, 2019, 10:22:18 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2019, 10:10:00 AM
The idea of the super 8s is to get the best 8 teams in there. The reality is, due to the lob sided nature of the provinces and randomness of the draws you have a scenario now where some very average teams like Meath and Clare coukd be in the Super 8s. It will have to be looked at again.

Example Cavan will have to beat Monaghan, Armagh and Tyrone to get to it. Clare for example beat Waterford (by a point), Leitrim, Westmeath and Meath.

This year's FA cup semi final featured Wolves, Watford and Brighton!

There's nothing you can do to stop smaller teams in a cup stoke competition. It's just the luck of the draw, doesn't mean the system is flawed.

The only way to overcome it is to have a league, which would involve a huge amount of dead rubbers.

The FA Cup is a sideshow - not the primary competition.

The Championship is the primary competition in the GAA and it makes no sense to have teams fluking their way to quarter finals as a result of a handy draw. If Laois make the qualifiers, they will have beaten three teams that will be playing Division 3 football next year.   Mayo have two division 1 teams in a row plus a Division 3 team in the qualifiers.  Had Armagh been in the draw instead of Mayo, that would have been three Division 1 teams in a row in the qualifier draw.

Stronger teams are knocking each other out and as a result we have one Division 3 team (next year's league) who will make the Super 8s.  We will definitely have 1 Division 2 team in the Super 8s.  Let's see how they get on against Dublin. 

I'm not for one sided games and if they have to happen, let's have them in the early rounds of the championship and not in the shop window.

Who? If you're referring to Cork, then you are making a presumption they will beat Laois. Or else you didn't realise Laois are a division 2 team (next year's league!)

Fair enough, but you get the point. And I wouldn't begrudge any county getting a run in the Championship; if you got to the QF, you wouldn't know what is possible in a one-off game.  Look at Fermanagh in 2004, who then went on to draw with Mayo in their only ever AISF.  Armagh, effectively a Division 3 team in 2014 gave Donegal a great game in an AIQF.  To me, that is fantastic, but serious underdogs winning is the exception and in the last 10 years it has become even less likely (would love to see some stats on this).  But sending teams into the Super 8s to get one hammering after another is a form of cruelty. 

thebackbar1

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 01, 2019, 10:37:34 AM
Ridiculous if true.
I hear they're struggling to get the pitch ready for the weekend after next :(

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2019, 10:31:38 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 01, 2019, 10:01:07 AM
The likely super 8 groups after that round 4 draw.

Donegal
Kerry
Mayo
Meath

Dublin
Tyrone
Roscommon
Cork

Likely All Ireland semi finals

Donegal v Tyrone
Mayo v Dublin
I recall a lot of chaps and pundits predicting a Galway v Mayowestros Conbacht Final ;D

I do love a good underdog story and Roscommon beating Tyrone in round 1 would be memorable one.

Redhand Santa

If Roscommon wasn't available would Tullamore be another option for Galway Mayo? Are they not allowed to agree to a toin coss?

Blowitupref

Quote from: thebackbar1 on July 01, 2019, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 01, 2019, 10:37:34 AM
Ridiculous if true.
I hear they're struggling to get the pitch ready for the weekend after next :(

Doubt it. Hyde Park has one of the best playing surfaces around nowadays.

Mayo v Galway the tie of the round, Cavan getting the one team they didn't want and Meath getting the one they wanted. A good chance for Laois to reach the last 8 i'm not convinced about that Cork team at all.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sid waddell

Quote from: recyclebin on July 01, 2019, 10:43:21 AM
Hard to know what level Meath, Claire, Laois and Cork are at. Meath barely beat Offaly, were close against Laois for about 45 mins before evetually winning easily then hammered by Dublin. Cork only really played Kerry.
See Roscommon last year.

And Roscommon are better than any of the above four.

The first three would be absolute fodder, Cork might have an outside chance of raising some sort of a gallop but they'll have Dublin and Tyrone in Croke Park as their first two matches, and they're much more likely to be fodder as well.

Mayo4Sam

Tullamore is a long spin, pearse Park is more likely?

Apparently if there was a replay of the Connacht final it wouldn't have been in the Hyde due to remedial works needed, how the happens I don't know!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

sid waddell

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 01, 2019, 11:02:11 AM

Donegal
Kerry
Mayo
Meath

Dublin
Tyrone
Roscommon
Cork

Donegal v Tyrone
Mayo v Dublin
I recall a lot of chaps and pundits predicting a Galway v Mayowestros Conbacht Final ;D

I do love a good underdog story and Roscommon beating Tyrone in round 1 would be memorable one.
Even on the outside chance that Roscommon beat Tyrone in Round 1, I still wouldn't fancy them to qualify.

Dublin will pummel Cork and Roscommon and will go to Omagh miles out in front on scoring difference and guaranteed qualification.

Tyrone would probably eke out a narrow win against a weakened Dublin team and beat Roscommon on scoring difference in a three way tie on four points.

GaillimhIarthair

The Galway / Ros U20 match this coming Wed evening is in Kiltoom so The Hyde is probably a non runner for next weekend?

If its doubled up with another qualifier we are probably looking at Tullamore or Limerick?

recyclebin

Don't see any double headers because of the teams involved.

APM

Quote from: sid waddell on July 01, 2019, 11:12:47 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 01, 2019, 11:02:11 AM

Donegal
Kerry
Mayo
Meath

Dublin
Tyrone
Roscommon
Cork

Donegal v Tyrone
Mayo v Dublin

Even on the outside chance that Roscommon beat Tyrone in Round 1, I still wouldn't fancy them to qualify.

Dublin will pummel Cork and Roscommon and will go to Omagh miles out in front on scoring difference and guaranteed qualification.

Tyrone would probably eke out a narrow win against a weakened Dublin team and beat Roscommon on scoring difference in a three way tie on four points.

Why would Dublin send a weakened team to Omagh, when they could knock out one of their closest rivals for Sam.

RossieBull

Quote from: recyclebin on July 01, 2019, 11:17:55 AM
Don't see any double headers because of the teams involved.

Alot of Ros underage games are played in Kiltoom.

This thing about the Hyde being unavailable stems from last year's Connacht Final. It was agreed with Connacht Council/Prenty that another final wouldn't take place there until certain works were completed (Prenty being an ass)
But the Mayo/Galway qualifier game is fixed by Central Council so these apparent remedial works shouldn't be a factor.