Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 09, 2024, 09:48:43 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 09, 2024, 09:46:55 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 09, 2024, 09:36:21 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 09, 2024, 08:02:02 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 09, 2024, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on January 09, 2024, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 09, 2024, 05:34:43 PMA lot will depend on the approach Kerry take to the league or what players available.
I think last year the cliffords and Sean O'Shea were missing in the early parts of the league.
Tyrone even beat them!  ;)

For Derry, if we can retain Div1 status that will be a win.
We'll need some early wins as teams will get stronger as the league goes on (but then everyone will be targeting early wins so there's nothing insightful there).

For what it's worth, I'd currently rate the teams in this order but you can never rule Tyrone/Monaghan out and Derry could also really struggle with tough games early in the year, though hopefully not:

1. Kerry
2. Dublin
3. Galway
4. Derry
5. Mayo
6. Roscommon
7. Tyrone
8. Monaghan

Would derry not be targeting the league final or there abouts. Can see tyrone, monaghan and either mayo/Roscommon struggling. Derry or galway shouldnt be too far away from the top i would have thought.

Remember derry will likely be missing the Glen contingent for the early games.
Last years keeper is injured.
Benny heron retired and padraig cassidy has gone travelling.
We have a new management team also.
That's a fair bit to contend with so I'd consider retaining div1 status a success.

Do you not think Glass, Doherty, McFaul etc won't make them selves available for the Tyrone game? Same 3 players will prob want to play in Tralee
What gap is there from their final to first league game? The Glen lads have played a serious amount of football the past few years. Few weeks break would be well deserved. You'd imagine Derry will worst case scenario be last 12 this year. That's a lot of games.

All Ireland senior club final on January 21st and the NFL starts the weekend after. The so called spilt season is a mirage for county players involved in that final.
Ideally everything would be wrapped up before Christmas. It's not perfect but i suppose it's a tiny percentage of players affected and I'm sure the same boys won't complain. Would definitely be telling them to take a few weeks off though.

You'd think Harte woukd say to them, take a break for a week of two and have some down time.

Lads like that could do with a small recharge I think.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on January 09, 2024, 09:52:52 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 09, 2024, 09:48:43 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 09, 2024, 09:46:55 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 09, 2024, 09:36:21 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 09, 2024, 08:02:02 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 09, 2024, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on January 09, 2024, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 09, 2024, 05:34:43 PMA lot will depend on the approach Kerry take to the league or what players available.
I think last year the cliffords and Sean O'Shea were missing in the early parts of the league.
Tyrone even beat them!  ;)

For Derry, if we can retain Div1 status that will be a win.
We'll need some early wins as teams will get stronger as the league goes on (but then everyone will be targeting early wins so there's nothing insightful there).

For what it's worth, I'd currently rate the teams in this order but you can never rule Tyrone/Monaghan out and Derry could also really struggle with tough games early in the year, though hopefully not:

1. Kerry
2. Dublin
3. Galway
4. Derry
5. Mayo
6. Roscommon
7. Tyrone
8. Monaghan

Would derry not be targeting the league final or there abouts. Can see tyrone, monaghan and either mayo/Roscommon struggling. Derry or galway shouldnt be too far away from the top i would have thought.

Remember derry will likely be missing the Glen contingent for the early games.
Last years keeper is injured.
Benny heron retired and padraig cassidy has gone travelling.
We have a new management team also.
That's a fair bit to contend with so I'd consider retaining div1 status a success.

Do you not think Glass, Doherty, McFaul etc won't make them selves available for the Tyrone game? Same 3 players will prob want to play in Tralee
What gap is there from their final to first league game? The Glen lads have played a serious amount of football the past few years. Few weeks break would be well deserved. You'd imagine Derry will worst case scenario be last 12 this year. That's a lot of games.

All Ireland senior club final on January 21st and the NFL starts the weekend after. The so called spilt season is a mirage for county players involved in that final.
Ideally everything would be wrapped up before Christmas. It's not perfect but i suppose it's a tiny percentage of players affected and I'm sure the same boys won't complain. Would definitely be telling them to take a few weeks off though.

You'd think Harte woukd say to them, take a break for a week of two and have some down time.

Lads like that could do with a small recharge I think.
Absolutely. It's not as though the same boys are gonna rock up a stone overweight after a few weeks off lol. Do them the world of good. Fair chance they'll be in another semi with Derry or even a final. Longgg season. 

Wildweasel74

There 2 games then a weeks break, Harte if he looking further ahead in the season shouldn't bring the Glen men back until after that break.Bringing them straight in with no break will only cause a big drop in performance or possible injury.Glass in particular has played too much fball and had dropped of what he normally produces by the time the Summer was starting.

square_ball

Gallagher had Glass and Doherty starting the week after the final last year. They've been on the go 2 years solid now you'd think a few weeks break would be the way to go.

God14

Quote from: square_ball on January 10, 2024, 08:33:16 AMGallagher had Glass and Doherty starting the week after the final last year. They've been on the go 2 years solid now you'd think a few weeks break would be the way to go.

it was a completely needless game as well that one, everyone knew they would win easy. There really was no point, just more moronic stuff from Rory Gallagher.
This game v kerry they genuinely could be doing with the Glen men. Derry will be desperate to get off to a good start in Div 1, and 4 points in the opening two games is well achieveable
I could understand the temptation, and the decision to play them

trailer

Quote from: God14 on January 10, 2024, 08:38:44 AM
Quote from: square_ball on January 10, 2024, 08:33:16 AMGallagher had Glass and Doherty starting the week after the final last year. They've been on the go 2 years solid now you'd think a few weeks break would be the way to go.

it was a completely needless game as well that one, everyone knew they would win easy. There really was no point, just more moronic stuff from Rory Gallagher.
This game v kerry they genuinely could be doing with the Glen men. Derry will be desperate to get off to a good start in Div 1, and 4 points in the opening two games is well achieveable
I could understand the temptation, and the decision to play them

Harte will need to justify his cost. Doubtful he'll go into a big game without his best players.

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 09, 2024, 11:42:37 PMThere 2 games then a weeks break, Harte if he looking further ahead in the season shouldn't bring the Glen men back until after that break.Brining them straight in with no break will only cause a big drop in performance or possible injury.Glass in particular has played too much fball and had dropped of what he normally produces by the time the Summer was starting.

Yep. And I think Harte will be thinking that way too. He's preparing for a championship. Will be happy to stay in div one but I can see us struggling particularly in early parts of the league.
Those Glen players all need rested.

Rawhide

O'Rouke gave Glass a month off after Derrys defeat in July. Didn't play a game in that period, McFaul and Doherty used sparingly in the same period
cccc is a true supporter lol

Mario

The sensible thing to do would be to manage their rest throughout the season rather than having them all missing at once. The Kerry game is very important, you don't want to be chasing your tail from the start of the league. We've spent long enough trying to get back to D1 so need to make sure we stay there. I hope to see some of the Glen players on the field in Tralee.

Armagh18

Quote from: Mario on January 10, 2024, 11:44:31 AMThe sensible thing to do would be to manage their rest throughout the season rather than having them all missing at once. The Kerry game is very important, you don't want to be chasing your tail from the start of the league. We've spent long enough trying to get back to D1 so need to make sure we stay there. I hope to see some of the Glen players on the field in Tralee.
Is Kerry the first game? It's probably unlikely Derry go to Tralee and beat Kerry even with a full deck. Would rather save those lads for the winnable games like Rossies, Monaghan, Tyrone.

seafoid

Division 1 is going to be very tight given all 4 semifinalists since last year are in the mix while Galway, Mayo, Roscoomon and Tyrone make up the rest. There is no obvious weak link, unlike last year.
Round 7 should be gas.

Mario

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 10, 2024, 02:49:34 PM
Quote from: Mario on January 10, 2024, 11:44:31 AMThe sensible thing to do would be to manage their rest throughout the season rather than having them all missing at once. The Kerry game is very important, you don't want to be chasing your tail from the start of the league. We've spent long enough trying to get back to D1 so need to make sure we stay there. I hope to see some of the Glen players on the field in Tralee.
Is Kerry the first game? It's probably unlikely Derry go to Tralee and beat Kerry even with a full deck. Would rather save those lads for the winnable games like Rossies, Monaghan, Tyrone.
Armagh nearly got a result last year. Difficult but not impossible. Donegal beat Kerry in the first game last year, albeit at home.

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: seafoid on January 10, 2024, 05:56:17 PMDivision 1 is going to be very tight given all 4 semifinalists since last year are in the mix while Galway, Mayo, Roscoomon and Tyrone make up the rest. There is no obvious weak link, unlike last year.
Round 7 should be gas.

The Rossies and Monaghan are your obvious weak links in theory.

Monaghan don't do theory though and deserve great respect.

The Rossies done great to stay up last year but they didn't back it up in the All Ireland series as they tend to do an awful lot.

Id argue Donegal Cork Armagh and Kildare are all teams with a higher ceiling than the Rossies or Monaghan.

Not sure whys it's not happening for Kildare and Cork especially, but maybe this year could change things.

ONeill

I'm sticking £200 on Roscommon winning in Omagh. I'll donate all winnings to the gaaboard bar fund.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on January 10, 2024, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 10, 2024, 05:56:17 PMDivision 1 is going to be very tight given all 4 semifinalists since last year are in the mix while Galway, Mayo, Roscoomon and Tyrone make up the rest. There is no obvious weak link, unlike last year.
Round 7 should be gas.

The Rossies and Monaghan are your obvious weak links in theory.

Monaghan don't do theory though and deserve great respect.

The Rossies done great to stay up last year but they didn't back it up in the All Ireland series as they tend to do an awful lot.

Id argue Donegal Cork Armagh and Kildare are all teams with a higher ceiling than the Rossies or Monaghan.

Not sure whys it's not happening for Kildare and Cork especially, but maybe this year could change things.
Monaghan are in the McKenna Cup semis. I think tyrone and Mayo may be relegation dark horses if championship is the yardstick.