Michael Lyster's imminent retirement

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2018, 07:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Kidder81 on February 02, 2018, 09:55:50 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 02, 2018, 09:50:50 PM
On what basis as Rte decided to go with her?

Current climate, was always going to be a woman

There's a bit of that, but she got it on merit for me.
I like Darragh Maloney but I'd rather see him doing the bulk of the commentaries at the expense of Ger & Marty.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 02, 2018, 09:59:43 PM
Dara O'Cinnéide was the only man for the job

Nah - enuf of Kerry lads talking about Kerry.

They should put Warldorf and Statler out to pasteur now as well and shunt Brolly off to Sky

yellowcard

What county is she from? O' Cinneide was the best man for the job but Cantwell is a tough questioner and will take no shit. I think she is a decent choice but time will tell. Des would eat himself if he was a bar of chocolate and is too wishy washy whilst Maloney is a good commentator but less effective as an anchor (he did get a poisoned chalice trying to follow Bill though).

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: yellowcard on February 02, 2018, 11:26:25 PM
What county is she from? O' Cinneide was the best man for the job but Cantwell is a tough questioner and will take no shit. I think she is a decent choice but time will tell. Des would eat himself if he was a bar of chocolate and is too wishy washy whilst Maloney is a good commentator but less effective as an anchor (he did get a poisoned chalice trying to follow Bill though).

She is a former Dublin player according to RTE.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2018, 10:42:09 PM

I like Darragh Maloney but I'd rather see him doing the bulk of the commentaries at the expense of Ger & Marty.

Current climate.. did any human being say that when the man got a job? Reducing it down to her sex is incredible, honestly. She must have a decade's worth of GAA presenting under her belt by now.

Croí na hÉireann

Stop posting my thoughts.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on February 03, 2018, 12:27:04 AM

Current climate.. did any human being say that when the man got a job? Reducing it down to her sex is incredible, honestly. She must have a decade's worth of GAA presenting under her belt by now.

There is no denying RTE have made a conscious decision to place women in more prominent & visible roles, Syf.
It isn't a contradiction to acknowledge that,
a) this is 'the current climate'
and,
b) Joanne is more than qualified to do the job she's been given.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was almost universal approval when her name was announced.
This demonstrates to me that her bona fides are not in question and there is no real sense that she got the job as a result of 'affirmative action'.
However, I'm sure the big-wigs in RTE are delighted that their flagship sports programme is now presented by a woman.
Everybody (ish) wins.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

I look forward to the day when no one feels the need to reference the gender of a TV presenter. Hope I live to see it.

imtommygunn

A lot of good female sports journalists out there. If they're good who cares. Cantwell probably better than anyone bar daragh moloney who probably wasn't in the frame so probably the best fit for the job.

The likes of logan, kangaroo court for the medical professionals at the worlds, is as good as any so the way has been paved. (Not that it should need to be done but sadly probably does).

Captain Obvious

RTEs way of making up for the sexist comment Joe Brolly made about Rachel Wyse?

imtommygunn

What bloke is a better choice than her?

She is a proper media person which really is what is required here.