The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Mentor

It's all down to size really. Fergal's is only a small school with about three hundred pupils and really only draws from three clubs - R/E, B/K and C/B. Occasionally they would have a player from Galmoy or The Harps but not at the moment. Rochfortbridge is a school with over eight hundred and fifty, and even Mountrath by comparison has over seven hundred and fifty pupils and are representing Laois well in the higher divisions. Fergal's always competed well in the old Vocational Schools competition where they would have been up against schools of similar size. Since every school was lumped in to the same competition they can't compete against the big boys hence the div C. It's Laois hurling in a nutshell.

clonadmad

Squad of 38 Hurlers on the Cumann na mBun school development squad

2 hurlers from the Health

No other hurlers from all the other schools in Portlaoise Parish.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

sign of the times....once upon a time rathdowney secondary were one of the big guns in "A" vocational schools....C grade is for the also rans.

as for no one from portlaoise being on the cumann na b panel...a shame....but perhaps Clonadmad rather than continually drilling away at hurling in Portlaoise GAA, a look closer to homemay be relevant.  If you are from Clonad, a once proud senior hurling club in this county, can you answer why the same Clonad has not produced one county panel standard senior player in the 21st century? is the raw material that bad, or is it the coaching?, because ye have all the facilties(fair play).

Don Draper

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 18, 2019, 09:07:30 PM
sign of the times....once upon a time rathdowney secondary were one of the big guns in "A" vocational schools....C grade is for the also rans.

as for no one from portlaoise being on the cumann na b panel...a shame....but perhaps Clonadmad rather than continually drilling away at hurling in Portlaoise GAA, a look closer to homemay be relevant.  If you are from Clonad, a once proud senior hurling club in this county, can you answer why the same Clonad has not produced one county panel standard senior player in the 21st century? is the raw material that bad, or is it the coaching?, because ye have all the facilties(fair play).
No school

clonadmad

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 18, 2019, 09:07:30 PM

I wasn't having a pop at Portlaoise GAA

I was pointing out the fact that no child from the Parish was deemed good enough to make a 38 man development panel.

Ogie

Where is this panel published / to be viewed?

I'm all for coaching & development of players but a primary school development squad may be pushing it a bit too early

Clubber Lang

At that age group where selectors etc are from has huge influence on who/who doesn't make these panels. Is there no portlaoise input mentor wise into hese squads.

Don Draper

Quote from: Clubber Lang on January 20, 2019, 09:57:52 PM
At that age group where selectors etc are from has huge influence on who/who doesn't make these panels. Is there no portlaoise input mentor wise into hese squads.
Ah howld on, you reckon club bias is in existence at f**king cuman na mbunscol? And Portlaoise struggle to even get into the schools in Portlaoise, you reckon they're volunteering to mentor these squads?

Don Draper

Quote from: Batman!!! on January 21, 2019, 11:13:13 AM
Pity Clonadmad is not actually from Clonad. It seems his real face is the former Laois gda from Kilkenny.
Does this mean you're not Batman?

merman

Like Ogie, I'm torn on this.
When it was introduced a couple of years ago, there was a lot of positivity around it. It seemed to fill a vacuum after the Setanta (and O' Moore Og) programmes had stagnated. I think it came from Tipperary where they have a 'Primary Game' which seems a similar initiative.

On the one hand, I can't help but feel primary school is simply too early for such panels. I hate the idea of maybe losing players. Maybe I'm being naieve on this.

On the other hand, these are probably all 12-13 years old, depending on country/town schools, and with minor falling down to U17, you could consider this the equivalent of U14 up until a few years ago. A lot of players from rural clubs probably can't get the opportunity to train at a high enough level as there simply won't be enough players 'up to the age' to train and develop alongside.
I know other counties do it but then, they likely have bigger playing numbers than we do.

This is very much part of the Coaching and Games Committee's plan at present. I suppose it does give the GDAs access to the players on a regular basis at a crucial age. I'm sure they've considered this and see it as a positive. I just hope the panels are kept big, open and that dual players are encouraged.

There's certainly merits to it but it's fair to have some reservations.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on January 21, 2019, 11:19:23 AM
Quote from: Batman!!! on January 21, 2019, 11:13:13 AM
Pity Clonadmad is not actually from Clonad. It seems his real face is the former Laois gda from Kilkenny.
Does this mean you're not Batman?

Poor Batman

Wrong again

clonadmad

Quote from: Clubber Lang on January 20, 2019, 09:57:52 PM

Laughable comment in fairness

Just shows how little you actually know about the process

clonadmad

Tipp,Kk and Galway have this in place

But Shur what would they know about bringing  talent through?

merman

Quote from: clonadmad on January 21, 2019, 01:09:46 PM
Tipp,Kk and Galway have this in place

But Shur what would they know about bringing  talent through?

Is it the exact same process?
I genuinely don't know.
I presume those counties would have at least 2 teams at U14 grade? So a minimum of 50 hurlers?
How many do they carry as part of their primary school panel?

I love that we are engaging in this process. It has definite positives. I'm not knocking this; especially if we believe a driving force is teachers from outside Laois who know what might be considered better practice than has previously been the case.
It's the '38' that I'm wary of. Maybe there are valid reasons; maybe not all schools engage or they want to focus on players who meet a certain standard.

clonadmad

In relation to Tipp

I've been told by a teacher

It's 4 Cumann na mBun School Squads,1 in each of the divisions

Schools send in only 1 player (unlike Laois where there's no limit)

They train for 6/8 weeks and play games in that period also

Tipp would have 2 teams at u14/15 level