Eddie Izzard- Running around 1,000 miles for Sports Relief over 7 week period

Started by Stimpy, August 24, 2009, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stimpy

Comedian Eddie Izzard admits he's beginning to feel the pace — and who can blame him after completing an incredible 24 marathons in 28 days.

But the cross-dressing comic hardly had time to catch his breath when he arrived in Northern Ireland yesterday on the latest leg of his Sports Relief odyssey.

It was straight down to the business of clocking up another pavement-pounding marathon for the man who is already on his 14th pair of trainers.

And despite the obvious exhaustion of his long-distance charity run around the UK, he harboured only one doubt about the country where he was raised.

So far on his epic journey through parts of England, Scotland and Wales, Eddie has carried the flag of the nation he's running through.

And he was aware that flags and emblems can cause a little local difficulty here.

"I know all about it and it has occupied my mind," he says.

"But I think I found a solution and I'm hopeful no one will be offended."

Multi-talented Eddie, 47, also planned to visit his old street at Ashford Drive in Bangor.

He and his family spent three-and-a-half years in the Co Down resort when he was a nipper. "Those days were definitely the happiest of my childhood," he recalled.

The self-styled "transvestite with a career" underwent just five weeks training before setting out on his mega-marathon that will see him cover 1,100 miles in seven weeks.

"I'm a determined b*****d and I'll grind it out," he says. "I have to keep on staggering forward. Running, walking, crawling, whatever it takes."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/eddie-izzard-unveils-new-flag-for-northern-ireland-issue-as-he-completes-24-marathons-in-28-days-14465494.html

Always rated him as a comedian and he will gain even more plaudits with this, don't know how his n.i flag will go down with the unionist community!!

Rois

Saw him running today past the Elk outside Toome.

His flag was a little triangular one that didn't look like anything in particular.

The Blegard

someone correct me but didn't he use to be a little on the large side.... One way of losing a few kilos
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

Tony Baloney

I'm surprised this hasn't been getting more publicity as it's a big ask by anyone's standards. His feet must be in ribbons by now!

theskull1

Not a big enough celeb I guess

If an x factor judge ran to the shops for charity it would get more publicity
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

full back

Orior

Any comedian who can deliver an entire show in French deserves credit.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stpauls

full back

Quote from: Orior on August 25, 2009, 09:48:11 AM
Any comedian who can deliver an entire show in French deserves credit.

Eh ???
If you can speak French it isnt that difficult

Doogie Browser

liam_shack

Just had a chat with him this morning there.  He was staying in Walsh's Hotel in Maghera last night.  He wanted an ice bath prepared for him last night as soon as he arrived. Decent enough spud, fair play to him for what he's doing.

ludermor

Quote from: full back on August 25, 2009, 09:36:20 AM
Fair play to him

Always found him a sh1te comedian TBF
Each to their own i suppose , i think the man is a genius!

Doogie Browser

I find his comedy hit and miss, but he deserves great praise for this. 

ONeill

i've been following him from day 1 and thought he was deluded. Amazing what he's doing.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

quit yo jibbajabba

what directions he running today then chaps?  What time does he start? Might go see him, throw him an oul tenner for his troubles;

o'neill; how do ye keep in touch with him; is it this twitter lark, or does he have his own site? just did a quick google(bing) there; found nothing;